Help atheist songwriter Shelley Segal make it to the top.

Started by Brian37, November 07, 2013, 07:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan

Quote from: "billhilly"
Quote from: "Johan"
Quote from: "Brian37"I do not expect someone to promote someone they don't like. Check her out, and if you like her music, promote it.
Not to pick nits but if you didn't intend for people to promote her without first hearing her music for themselves, why did your post essentially say hey everyone support this chick, she's an atheist and then provide a link to a page with no music on it?

???  
He added the link to his post after I wrote that.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

billhilly

Ahh, that makes sense then.  So, what did ya think?

Johan

Quote from: "billhilly"Ahh, that makes sense then.  So, what did ya think?
In the words of Simon Cowell, its a no for me. Her whole shtick seems to be working the atheist angle and to my ears she's kind of mediocre otherwise. I'm not saying she has no potential. But doing what she's doing now, the way she's doing it, is not going get her very far no matter how many well meaning individuals try to promote her.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Jmpty

She has a good voice, and I like the lyrics, but she needs a good arranger.
???  ??

Brian37

In the words of Simon Cowell, its a no for me. Her whole shtick seems to be working the atheist angle and to my ears she's kind of mediocre otherwise. I'm not saying she has no potential. But doing what she's doing now, the way she's doing it, is not going get her very far no matter how many well meaning individuals try to promote her.

I don't know who you are listening to. Bob Dylan  sounds like a fucking strangled cat when he sings.

I think she sounds great.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Brian37

She's been touring all over America, and she's done a couple atheist conventions as well.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm required by the by laws of the forum to ask... Does she sing ABBA songs? :-k :shock: :)

'They' made me do it Brian. I didn't want to. I told em it didn't matter, but you know how 'they' are.. :shock:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Brian37

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"I'm required by the by laws of the forum to ask... Does she sing ABBA songs? :-k :shock: :)

Smart ass, but actually she did say in a PM that she likes ABBA. SO NEENER NEENER NEENER, so do the Foo Fighters and Yngwie Malmsteen.

AllPurposeAtheist

Brian37

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Strike one.. :)

You know what? There is another thread on this board if you want to go there. *Takes gloves off, licks thumb, puts up dukes*

AllPurposeAtheist

Brian37

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Nah..just messin wid ya.  'They' made me do it. :)

NO, I'VE HAD IT WITH YOU FUCKERS! NOBODY PUTS ABBA IN THE CORNER! (Note to self, ran out of Prozac, need to get prescription refilled).

Johan

Quote from: "Brian37"

I don't know who you are listening to. Bob Dylan  sounds like a fucking strangled cat when he sings.

I think she sounds great.
QuoteShe's been touring all over America, and she's done a couple atheist conventions as well.

Someone asked my opinion and I gave it honestly. Don't take it personally.

And FWIW, Bob Dylan does indeed have a very bad singing voice. He also knows how's to write songs that people really want to hear. Call me crazy but I think the preachy ' I'm an atheist deal with it' gimmick she's working will have limited commercial appeal.

But hey I'm just a nobody with an opinion no one would ever pay me for. Back in the 60's several guys who did get paid by record labels looked at a group of four guys who called themselves The Beatles and said I don't think it'll sell so no thanks. So who knows. If it turns out that her atheist agenda set to music thing takes off and sells 20 million copies, you hereby have my permission stand on a platform and announce to all who will listen what a shitty ability to gauge music I have.  :wink:

Brian37

No. She does not come across as a gimmick to me. I think her music is good and I love her message.

Mermaid

I think she is very talented. I also think songs about being an atheist are not going anywhere. at all. I love singer-songwriter music and I am an atheist. I would never buy this though. That is just my opinion.
I do, however, wish her well and would be delighted to see her prove me wrong.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR