The Pope is shaking things up again.

Started by Aroura33, November 05, 2013, 04:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aroura33

//http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/11/05/21320327-pope-francis-latest-surprise-a-survey-on-the-modern-family?lite

QuoteThe pontiff with a penchant for surprises is making new waves by launching a survey of his flock on issues facing modern families — from gay marriage to divorce.
Very specific questions are being sent to parishes around the globe in preparation for next year's synod of bishops, a grassroots effort that experts say is unprecedented.
"It's fascinating," said Thomas Groome, a professor of theology at Boston College.
"It's pretty astonishing," agreed Marianne Duddy-Burke, executive director of the gay Catholic organization DignityUSA.
Vatican watchers say Francis' polling attempt is extraordinary on two levels: first, because it seeks input from rank-and-file Roman Catholics and second, because it touches on issues that might have been considered off-limits in past papacies.
The document sent to every nation's conference of bishops notes that the ancient church and its members are grappling with "concerns which were unheard of until a few years ago."
Same-sex unions, mixed marriages, single-parent families and surrogate mothers are all mentioned in the prelude to a list of questions that get into the nitty-gritty of 21st century life:
"What pastoral attention can be given to people who live in these types of [same-sex] union?"
"In the case of unions of persons of the same sex who have adopted children, what can be done pastorally in light of transmitting the faith?"
"Do [the divorced and remarried] feel marginalized or suffer from the impossibility of receiving the sacraments?"
"In cases where non-practicing Catholics or declared non-believers request the celebration of marriage, describe how this pastoral challenge is dealt with."
The survey is the latest sign of Francis' willingness to engage ordinary Catholics and promote a less judgmental approach to hot-button social issues.
The Argentine Jesuit elected to the throne of St. Peter in March has drawn widespread praise — and some scattered criticism from conservatives — for his comments about gays, women, atheists and priestly celibacy.
There is nothing in the questionnaire that says he is planning any big changes, and a senior Vatican official said Tuesday that the church remains "loyal to the vision of the family where a man and a woman join together and procreate children."
But Fordham University theology chair Terrence Tilley said the questionnaire does suggest the church might tweak some policies that don't involve doctrine — such as denying the sacraments to Catholics who have divorced and remarried or opening the church to gay couples that want to raise adopted children Catholic.
"I think it demonstrates a grounding in the practical realities of the world," Duddy-Burke said, though she cautioned that the real test is if the Vatican agrees to hear from a diverse range of families at the actual synod.
Groome said it "remains to be seen" if the polling will translate into any action, but he's impressed nonetheless.
"To my knowledge, it's the first time in the history of the magisterium have genuinely attempted to consult the laity," he said.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

frosty

The reformist pope is simply there because the Church realized it is in deep shit with everyone, including even devout Catholics. People are fed up of thousands of years of meddling and having their lives controlled by men that make empty claims of having approval from god but their main activity is molesting and embezzling money.

Pope Francis is a modern, tolerant, positive face for the church to regain it's momentum and re-attract followers. Everything about this guy shows that he purposely makes statements of tolerance just so he can bring people back into the fold. People should be cautious though. While this guy is nice window dressing for the Catholic Church, while he puts on a smile and makes nice speeches the Church is still molesting and embezzling money.

AllPurposeAtheist

Or perhaps he actually drinks the heavenly koolaid and actually gives a shit what happens to humanity..
Of a lifetime of my departed grandmother and mother who by the way to the priest to get the hell out her house the church remained a static, repressive monster might or might not be any different, but it is unprecidented that the church asks anyone's opinion.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

aitm

Religion has a healthy history of watering down its "whiskey" to attract more followers.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

_Xenu_

Francis could be what the Catholic Church needs, a modernizer with a sincere interest in the plight of the disadvantaged. If the Catholic Church would quit focusing on divisive social issues like abortion and gay marriage, it could actually be a force for good in the world. They have the resources to feed the hungry and help the desperate, and I think Francis is going to push the Church in that direction. I really hope his papacy lasts a long time.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

billhilly

Quote from: "aitm"Religion has a healthy history of watering down its "whiskey" to attract more followers.

Them's some shitty followers then,  Everybody knows it's blasphemy to water down whiskey.

Hydra009

QuoteThe document sent to every nation's conference of bishops notes that the ancient church and its members are grappling with "concerns which were unheard of until a few years ago."
Same-sex unions, mixed marriages, single-parent families and surrogate mothers are all mentioned in the prelude to a list of questions that get into the nitty-gritty of 21st century life:
That "a few years ago" might need some qualifying.  Cause most of that stuff has been going on for quite a while now.

But other than that, encouraging news.  A pope who cares what the rank and file think - now there's a novel idea!  Whether or not this information is actually put to use is another story.  Even with a reasonably level-headed guy at the helm, it's hard to steer a ship that has already run aground and never exactly had a crew willing to change course in the first place.

The Skeletal Atheist

Smile and put out all the polls you want. I won't be impressed until one is able to get a same sex marriage inside a Catholic church with the blessing of the church. This pope has done some more for poverty than other popes, but when it comes to other social issues it is just pretty words that put horrible church practices in a warm and fuzzy coating.

I think one prime example of this is when he talked about homosexuals in the preisthood...that whole "who am I to judge" shit. A lot of other gays on my facebook were just ready to fellate this guy over it like it was such a revolutionary statement, but they never realized that his words were crafted so they never disagreed with church doctrine. of course a preist can be gay, but only because the sexuality of a preist is not suppose to matter - they are expected to be celibate.

Basically this whole smiles campaign is just that - smiles and nothing more. Still no condoms in Africa, no hope for raped children, and no approval of loving same sex couples.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Jason78

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Or perhaps he actually drinks the heavenly koolaid and actually gives a shit what happens to humanity..

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

SGOS

The Pope is an interesting figure, but I don't take him seriously.  From recent retractions of the Pope's comments, I get the impression that Popes might be operated by strings from behind a curtain.  When things go well, they simply move their mouths as expected, but if they get too frisky and venture out on their own, some puppeteer has to give a hard yank on the string.

AllPurposeAtheist

Ehh..we'll see. I'm skeptically hopeful about this guy. At least he's not as creepy as RatZinger.. :-k
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

frosty

The Skeletal Atheist seems to get my point. Yeah, quite a few people here seem to believe the image the pope has put out there. Fine, that's their business. But this world in almost all aspects is run like a business and the Catholic Church with all it's money is no exception. If people disagree with me that they are struggling to regain control after losing relevancy in modern times, then suit yourself.

Solitary

Should a religion that is suppose to be about spiritual things and morality be in a material business to make money? Isn't that just a we bit hypocritical?  The new Pope is like a wolf in sheep's clothing, better yet a puppet shill for the Holy See to make the Church richer by getting more converts, or those to come back to the flock with superstitious nonsense and subterfuge.  :P   :twisted:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Hydra009

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"Basically this whole smiles campaign is just that - smiles and nothing more. Still no condoms in Africa, no hope for raped children, and no approval of loving same sex couples.
Exactly.  I've seen a lot about the Pope in the news lately.  A lot of genuinely good stuff BUT it's all stuff that the Pope personally did.  Good for him.  But for the Vatican, it's still business as usual.

This whole thing seems suspiciously designed as a PR campaign showcasing the goodness of the new pope to soften generally very negative attitudes towards the Church.  (Without doing anything to address the root causes of their bad PR)  And apparently, it's working.