why are liberal places so expensive?

Started by hillbillyatheist, November 01, 2013, 08:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

I understand where you're coming from hba.. Here in Columbus is a liberal town, but rents have gone through the roof. The thing is greed isn't limited to republican nor democrat nor is inflation and so on. People want money and lots of it, but let's face one reality, very few people actually have the courage of their convictions. They'll tell you how much they care about you on one hand while the other hand is sticking a knife in your back.
As many times mentioned on this very site, people suck, man..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "hillbillyatheist"if I can find a place that is safe, low cost, and liberal, I'll be quite hapy. it could simply be that rural areas for whatever reason are more conservative and urban areas more liberal, and simply due to population, the urban areas are more expensive. so it could be two different things (liberalism and price) unrelated to each other, but both of which relate to population. (kind of like how ice cream eating and murders both go up in the summer but aren't related to each other but both relate to the heat)

I can see the price angle, its simple economics 101, supply and demand.but why are rural areas more conservative?

this seems even to be a constant thing in other countries. I got a friend from australia who told me rural ares there are conservative.

I'm not sure why living in the country or city would predispose you to be liberal or conservative.

why wouldn't a poor guy from rural arkansas want a higher minimum wage or healthcare. why would a person from rural kentucky be okay with drinking poisoned water and breathing toxic air?

you'd think where you live wouldn't effect those kinds of things.

I can see why social conservatism thrives in areas where people tend to not meet too many from others cultures as one would from the city, but supporting economic conservatism makes no sense to me unless you're rich, short sighted and heartless.

Well, in more rural areas mimimum wage goes further than it would in the city. There's also a certain pride I've noticed in rural folk; asking for assistance, expecially in financial matters, is seen as a form of weakness. You're suppose to "tough it out" and if you don't or can't you somehow failed. If worse comes to worse the only people you're suppose to rely on is family.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

AllPurposeAtheist

Except most rural areas are HEAVILY dependent on government assistance. The difference is who actually goes to VOTE.. Many poor folks seem to find voting an exercise in futility. In rural areas if you're 10-20 miles from town living on government assistance you're very unlikely to bother driving into town just to vote..

The Skeletal Atheist

Yeah but even then it's kind of a "dirty little secret" type deal. You don't tell your neighbors that you're on goverment assistance, you just say that times are hard. I will agree with the voting deal though. In a rural area those who do vote are typically those who are better off than the rest. Even if the poor ones do vote, they vote conservative because that's what's expected. I have no idea how one would be able to get poor, disenfranchised rural people to vote, much less vote for progressive candidates and causes that would help them in the long run.

AllPurposeAtheist

They're disinfranchized to make voting as difficult as possible through all sorts of dirty shit trickery and of course airwave saturation.. money.

LikelyToBreak

mykcob4 wrote in part:
QuoteBullshit! Liberals don't see themselves as elite. That is utter nonsense. The only people helping the poor are Liberals. It certainly isn't the repukes the liberterians or the tea partiers! Fuck corrupt corporations! Not all corporations are bad BTW only the corrupt ones!
Thanks for making my point for me about how "liberals" see themselves as being the elite.

I watched a video espousing communism which suggested we go to a 32 hour work week and for work people would shuffle pretty much worthless paperwork around in an office.  Those working on farms or doing construction work from "can't see to can't see,"  see communism as a bunch of lazy fuckers not doing any real work.  Which the video I watched supported this notion.  So naturally, people working hard physical jobs reject the idea that others can just play in an office a few hours a week, while they work their butts off supporting the bastards, will reject "liberalism."  They don't need to know anything more about "liberalism" other than it is like communism.  

Personally, I reject the whole conservative and liberal name tags as being realistically valid.  Seems to me that most people vote for politicians the same way they voted for their homecoming King and Queen.  Pure popularity contest, with both sides talking bullshit and mudslinging at the other side.  With the sides being decided by the popularity of a few stated ideals, which catch on with the most people.  Then its' ride the bandwagon with the most people on it, for most voters.

AllPurposeAtheist

I...I...I never voted for the biggest tits nor dick so there goes the homecoming queen/king theory.. :)

The Skeletal Atheist

In the future politics will be decided by who has the shiniest nipples...what a glorious future it will be.

Jmpty

I don't see myself as being elite. I am elite. I'm better educated than you. I have more money than you. I'm better looking than you, and, I can kick your ass, so fuck off.
???  ??

LikelyToBreak

AllPurposeAtheist wrote:
QuoteI...I...I never voted for the biggest tits nor dick so there goes the homecoming queen/king theory.. :)
Not really, unless you claim to be most voters.  

In support of my theory: //http://www.theguardian.com/science/2011/oct/18/voters-tall-politicians-leadership
QuoteVoters view tall people as better suited for leadership

The Skeletal Atheist wrote:
QuoteIn the future politics will be decided by who has the shiniest nipples...what a glorious future it will be.
Not for those with feet fetishes, who like the shiniest shoes.  But, I like the idea of closely examining all the shiny nipples myself.   :D/

Jmpty wrote:
QuoteI don't see myself as being elite. I am elite. I'm better educated than you. I have more money than you. I'm better looking than you, and, I can kick your ass, so fuck off.
Gee, you make so I can't hardly wait to vote for the other guy.   :-D

AllPurposeAtheist

I have a nice braided pony tail. Vote for me. :)

Plu

The fact that around the world conservatives live in ghettos and rural areas while liberals more often live in expensive cities is just more proof that conservatism doesn't actually work.

That said; if you try to help all the poor to live in the good homes, you won't have enough good homes. That part is just economics. I don't know how the US is, but here we have a social living program which does give support to people who don't have a lot of money for housing. But as can be expected, loads of people need to use it, so it's a very long wait to actually get one of those homes.

hillbillyatheist

we have something like that here called section 8.

the problem is similar. ridiculously long wait lists and also the places covered by section 8 tend to be dilapidated crime infested roach motels.

funny enough you can get a nice place at reasonable costs in conservative areas, not dumps.

I know. where I lived in Ada OK, I had a decent two bedroom home. no roaches, no gangs and everything worked (dishwasher, gas, water, etc. and it was $350 a month. of course pretty much everybody but me was a holy roller and staunch republican.

been doing some googling and if I go back I think it'll be to Norman, OK, cheap living, has basic transit, is a college town, (OU) has an arts community, less insane than other parts of the state, and if I could land even a part time job there combined with my disability I'd be living quite comfortably. I could work on paying back my student loans and resume my music education at the same time. so it won't be all bad.

as much as I like Denver I can't sustain the costs much longer. I'm going in debt as it is. I'd be living in a backward ass state but at least I'd be better off financially, get back on my feet and resume my music education.  Oklahoma has one of, if not the lowest cost of living in the US.
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

wolf39us

I'm from New Haven, CT and I can tell you hba that the prices you're quoting are probably close to 1st & 1st.

Normal income people just don't live THAT close to the city.  You can find decent places near the city in the 2kish range.  Because of my proximity to the city, our prices were mediocre in the 1k+ range.  

A shit ton of people worked in the city and lived in Connecticut, they just take the train (1hr ride)!  If your limit is $500 though... I'm not sure you'll be able to find any blue states in that range :-/

Eric1958

Quote from: "hillbillyatheist"I was looking today at what I pay to live here in denver vs back home in rural oklahoma. I also was curious about places like california and oregon.

I don't even know how regular people can live in places like san francisco and new york. you can get a nice two bedroom apartment in rural oklahoma for 500 a month.
in a place like new york you pay like 4000 a month for a friggin studio apartment in the gang infested part of town, living above the local crack house.

you'd think liberal places would be helping the common man keep things affordable. what's the deal here? anybody know?

It's usually referred to as free market economics. Why are places like San Francisco or LA expensive to live in? Cause lots of people want tollive there. If they found out tomorrow that broccoli cured cancer demand would go through the roof and so would the price of brocoli.

Say you live in the sticks in Mississippi and you've got a pretty good brain and the drive to go to college for a degree and even post graduate work. Some people who do this move back to the sticks and are happy. But most want to make some money, work with others in their field and just honestly like hanging out with others similar to themselves. They will, most likely, need a major metropolitan area to achieve that. People with that kind of education are more likely, than the people they grew up with, to lean liberal.