News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

"15 Things to NEVER say to an atheist"

Started by PickelledEggs, November 01, 2013, 05:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

I think these were pretty dead on. I shared it with a few people that I felt could use the knowledge.

[youtube:o1tcvs0r]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNjEbPfc2d0[/youtube:o1tcvs0r]

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Good one. I hate 13, 14 and 15.

(I also got 15 from atheists a lot talking about sexism against females in this forum. I am either 'sad', 'angry' or obviously 'it sucks being me' because I think and talk about it which obviously are not designed to make the man folk happy. I never realised how similar this is actually to the hypocritical game of the religious.)

I partially think that is from how people were raised, which currently religious or not, their behavior stems from religion. It's like racism. If someone was raised in an area and era where racism was perfectly acceptable and wasnt even thought of as anything less than acceptable on how to treat someone, that person might say or do something without even knowing that it's racist. Still wrong, but it's more out of not knowing any better.

Solitary

I'm not a racist because I have had it directed toward me and thought it was wrong, and two wrongs don't make a right. As to religion, they are either silly and childish, or down right dangerous, especially when they stick their noses into politics and public schools.  :evil:   Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Hydra009

I really hate #13.  You're asked how sure you are that god (and by "god", it's invariably assumed to be the Christian God) doesn't exist.  If you say that you're not 100% sure god doesn't exist, you're an agnostic.  And if you say that you're 100% sure god doesn't exist, you're taking a position on faith (you're a hypocrite) and you leave yourself wide open for the "what proof do you have that god doesn't exist?" retort.

Apparently, there's no right answer to this question.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"
Quote from: "PickelledEggs"
Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Good one. I hate 13, 14 and 15.

(I also got 15 from atheists a lot talking about sexism against females in this forum. I am either 'sad', 'angry' or obviously 'it sucks being me' because I think and talk about it which obviously are not designed to make the man folk happy. I never realised how similar this is actually to the hypocritical game of the religious.)

I partially think that is from how people were raised, which currently religious or not, their behavior stems from religion. It's like racism. If someone was raised in an area and era where racism was perfectly acceptable and wasnt even thought of as anything less than acceptable on how to treat someone, that person might say or do something without even knowing that it's racist. Still wrong, but it's more out of not knowing any better.

This is exactly what I've been saying for all my time here in those gender threads people hate getting into a convo with me. But people are not even aware of that which could be OK if they didn't insist on not being aware. When you say that to them they say 'you don't know what I think' when it's so obvious all in what they write. The first reaction without even thinking through is 'no it doesn't exist, there is no problem, it's in your head'. Because I am a female and an eastern one,lol. That's why I am saying all these things. I am angry because I have been treated badly. Oh but I assure you they are not prejudiced by culture! :lol:

There is a conviction among western men and women, especially men, that the society they live in; more the culture they live in by default is above some main issues of human culture in general and anything that happens either an isolated event or a mishap, not some culture. Which cannot be further away from the reality unfortunately.

Never mind.
Yea. I agree with you. I only meant to expand with some of my own thoughts. I have only experienced western culture, so I had that in mind when I said that. I don't even know enough about eastern culture to say one thing or another, so I won't even get in to that.  :lol:

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Ah, but if you really know western culture then you know one of its main traits is promoting itself with painting any other in black contrast. :lol:

Anyway, I was just making an explanation. Thanks for being honest.  :flowers:
I have a friend in Mexico that said on facebook pretty much the same thing as that about the U.S. invading Syria and asked for his U.S. friends to not get offended by his "post of frustration" as I'll call it.

I said, in short: "Im not offended. Bill Hicks said it best [youtube:27hrla8u]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ6kMWA2WRk[/youtube:27hrla8u]" :flowers:

St Giordano Bruno

Another question I was asked this week, why do you atheists swear so much?  but I argued that many religious zealots do in fact swear just as much as us Atheists, if fact more so because they more often resort to using racist expletories  at well such as the much despised "N" word  which was all too frequently used in the Bible belt in America's deep south for instance. Just remember for instance the Ku Klux Klan with their burning crosses.
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

Mermaid

These are 15 reasons among the many I don't talk to people about my atheism.

Plus, I have no desire to infect anyone else with it. It isn't interesting to me. I will talk to people about their religion though, I kind of enjoy that sometimes. It gives me a little window into them and it's usually something I can respect. If not, I keep my mouth shut because nothing I can say will change the person, and besides, I don't care to change anyone. People are what they are. Trying to change it only results in conflict and ugliness. Proselytizing is an annoyance and an insult no matter which direction it goes.

Anyway, I really like this guy's perspective about atheism being a religion like "Off" is a TV channel.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

GSOgymrat

Quote from: "St Giordano Bruno"Another question I was asked this week, why do you atheists swear so much?  but I argued that many religious zealots do in fact swear just as much as us Atheists, if fact more so because they more often resort to using racist expletories  at well such as the much despised "N" word  which was all too frequently used in the Bible belt in America's deep south for instance. Just remember for instance the Ku Klux Klan with their burning crosses.

That is funny to hear because in my department everyone is Christian or Jewish except me and I am the only one that refrains from using profanity. Human resources actually had to come to our staff meeting to inform us that using in "f-word", even if it isn't directed towards an individual, automatically creates a hostile work environment. One of my coworker said in the meeting that everyone in the office used profanity, except me.