Should infertility treatment be covered by insurance?

Started by TrueStory, October 31, 2013, 06:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"I'm going to play devil's advocate and say it should be for the insurance company to decide.

Why should the insurance company decide anything?  Medical decisions should be left to medical professionals.  Insurance companies should make good on their promise and fork over the money when medical treatment needs paying for.

They should decide because it's their money. Sure, we place certain restrictions upon them as we should, but if we want to have complete control over what they do and don't cover we should just switch to singer payer like other first world countries have.

Quote from: "Mermaid"Insurance companies make decisions based on what is best for them financially. Is that really a good idea?
Saying that it's not something people need is making a life decision for people you don't know. Again, is that a good idea?

Understand that when I say "need" I mean "necessity" as in necessary for life. Heart medication, emergency surgery - those types of things are necessary for life. While not being able to have a kid might make someone extremely sad, having a kid is not necessary for life.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Mermaid

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"Understand that when I say "need" I mean "necessity" as in necessary for life. Heart medication, emergency surgery - those types of things are necessary for life. While not being able to have a kid might make someone extremely sad, having a kid is not necessary for life.
Neither are treating people for broken bones or skin rashes.
Where do you draw the line and making life decisions for people? Medicine is medicine.

Admittedly, the area gets gray for me when you start talking about cosmetic surgery.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "Mermaid"
Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"Understand that when I say "need" I mean "necessity" as in necessary for life. Heart medication, emergency surgery - those types of things are necessary for life. While not being able to have a kid might make someone extremely sad, having a kid is not necessary for life.
Neither are treating people for broken bones or skin rashes.
Where do you draw the line and making life decisions for people? Medicine is medicine.

Admittedly, the area gets gray for me when you start talking about cosmetic surgery.
Broken bones can complicate and cause much more serious issues later on, rashes can be signs of something serious. The cause of infertility should be looked into, but as per getting fertile again that's up to the insurance company.

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "Mermaid"I guess we just disagree.
Yep.

Wait...no name calling? No insulting of intelligence? What the hell happened here!?

Mermaid

Mermaid