Should infertility treatment be covered by insurance?

Started by TrueStory, October 31, 2013, 06:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrueStory

The question was posed to me and originally I thought, no it is an elective procedure not required for health and thus should not be covered.

I did a bit of research and now think it's reasonable to cover initial diagnosis as well as some of the first steps that are normally taken. Perhaps even IVF with some sort of cap, along with an age cap.

There are quite a few states, 13, that have passed laws already with some type of mandate to have health insurance cover infertility.

I was surprised how varied coverage is around the world.

Here is a reference of countries around the world (not sure how accurate the info really is):

http://www.nobabyonboard.com/worldcompare.html

So how say you, Should infertility treatment be covered by insurance?
Please don't take anything I say seriously.

Plu

You mean the operation where you are sterilized? Right now it's reading like "should you be compensated by your insurance if you somehow cannot have kids" but I don't think that's what you mean?

TrueStory

Quote from: "Plu"You mean the operation where you are sterilized? Right now it's reading like "should you be compensated by your insurance if you somehow cannot have kids" but I don't think that's what you mean?
That is what i mean, the generic version of infertility, as in cannot or have difficulty reproducing and the treatment thereof.
Please don't take anything I say seriously.

_Xenu_

I have a family friend going through hell because of this. She's married with a middle class income and desperately wants to have a child, but she's infertile and the treatments come out of pocket. She's spent thousands and thousands of dollars. Adoption is nearly impossible too. My sister is pregnant and its causing quite a bit of strife between them.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Shiranu

I don't think insurance should cover it, no. But then I think insurance shouldn't cover anyone's healthcare because a person's well-being shouldn't be dependent on how big their pocket book is.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Jmpty

???  ??

Jason78

It's a medical issue.  It should be covered by medical insurance.  I really don't see the big problem.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Plu

Ah you mean treatment to go from being infertile to being fertile again?

Yeah, I agree that it's a medical issue and should be treated as such.

Mermaid

Quote from: "Plu"Ah you mean treatment to go from being infertile to being fertile again?

Yeah, I agree that it's a medical issue and should be treated as such.
I think that is how it's meant, yeah. People who can't have kids having to resort to medical intervention. Hormones, in vitro fertilization, etc.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

The Skeletal Atheist

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say it should be for the insurance company to decide. It's not something that you need like surgery or medication, and it's not preventative like check ups or vaccinations, so I don't see why it should be required for the insurance company to cover it.

Then again like Shiranu I'm pissed that people need to have insurance for their well being anyways.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Jason78

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"I'm going to play devil's advocate and say it should be for the insurance company to decide.

Why should the insurance company decide anything?  Medical decisions should be left to medical professionals.  Insurance companies should make good on their promise and fork over the money when medical treatment needs paying for.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Mermaid

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"I'm going to play devil's advocate and say it should be for the insurance company to decide. It's not something that you need like surgery or medication, and it's not preventative like check ups or vaccinations, so I don't see why it should be required for the insurance company to cover it.

Then again like Shiranu I'm pissed that people need to have insurance for their well being anyways.
Insurance companies make decisions based on what is best for them financially. Is that really a good idea?
Saying that it's not something people need is making a life decision for people you don't know. Again, is that a good idea?

wolf39us

I am also going to say that this is an elective procedure and should NOT be covered.  Hell, I'd go as far to say that we shouldn't be encouraged to reproduce the way things are going.

If you want a child, that is elective!  It is 100% your choice.

If you don't have the cash to pony up in infertility treatment, then you don't have the money to raise a kid.

Aroura33

I'm torn.
On the one hand, it is a medical procedure.  but not all medical procedures are covered, nor should they be (cosmetic stuff is a goo example).

Infertility is becoming more and more common for a number of reasons.  Maybe nature is trying to tell us something, and maybe we should listen.  If someone wants a child that badly, perhaps they should think about other options, such as adoption?  Or surrogates?
There are countless unwanted little ones out there.  It seems selfish to demand your own (possibly faulty if you are sterile) genetics be used when there are so many healthy babies and small children who need loving parents.

The worlds is already headed toward crisis in human population.  Fertility treatments are more likely to result in multiple births than the natural way (5 or 7 kids, anyone?), and there are other options.

So after considering all of that, I'm going to have to play devils advocate as well, and say no, it should not be covered.  If you have diabetes or depression, there are not other routes to take to treat those things.  There are other, and better, options for infertile couples.

Quick story. My neighbor is infertile, and resorted to fertility treatments. She was always very, very big, and she miscarried the first baby, which is terrible. She did end up with two living children.  She is now morbidly obese, and still wants more kids, because her hormones are just driven that way.  The doc has told her he will not give her more treatments until she loses weight, and that the miscarriages are possibly due to her obesity.  She is sooo offended, she is searching for another doc who will do it anyway. She suffers depression, and can barely care for her existing 2 kids, is on financial assistance, and her hubby shows no interest in their kids, and looks like he's about ready to leave.  My point is, I don't think "wanting" a baby necessarily means you should get one.)
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy