Turkey's Bosphorus sub-sea tunnel links Europe and Asia

Started by drunkenshoe, October 30, 2013, 12:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

I think you guys would like this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24721779

QuoteA railway tunnel underneath the Bosphorus Strait has been opened in Turkey, creating a new link between the Asian and European shores of Istanbul.

The Marmaray tunnel is the world's first connecting two continents, and is designed to withstand earthquakes.

It was inaugurated on the 90th anniversary of the Republic of Turkey.

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has for years championed the undersea engineering project, first conceived by an Ottoman sultan in 1860.

Work began in 2004, but archaeological excavations delayed construction.

The underwater section runs for 0.8 miles (1.4 km), but in total the tunnel is 8.5 miles (13.6 km) long.

Jason78

Cool :)  Just like the Channel Tunnel, except smaller :D
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

_Xenu_

Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

SilentFutility

What is your opinion on this project?

I read somewhere that opposition to it proposed that a far more effective and cheaper solution would have been to build another car bridge, given that the problem is that all of the travellers crossing the river currently cross using just two bridges despite the city being one of the largest in the world.

Do you have any thoughts on this? Is there a genuine demand for rail travel? Will commuters getting off at each side then have good enough transport links to get from there to work? If not, this seems unlikely to ease congestion as much as planned.

Minimalist

Quoteand is designed to withstand earthquakes.

Wasn't the Titanic "unsinkable?"

That kind of talk always gets one in trouble.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

DunkleSeele

Quote from: "SilentFutility"What is your opinion on this project?

I read somewhere that opposition to it proposed that a far more effective and cheaper solution would have been to build another car bridge, given that the problem is that all of the travellers crossing the river currently cross using just two bridges despite the city being one of the largest in the world.

Do you have any thoughts on this? Is there a genuine demand for rail travel? Will commuters getting off at each side then have good enough transport links to get from there to work? If not, this seems unlikely to ease congestion as much as planned.

A third car bridge is also foreseen and it will certainly ease the traffic situation; still, lots of people in Istanbul use the public transport. As an example, since a few years a fast bus link (the "Metrobus") runs through the city, connecting the two sides. It transports one million passengers/day and it has its own, dedicated lanes, except when it has to cross the Bosphorus using one of the two big bridges; there it shares the road with the rest of the traffic (and if you've never driven in Istanbul you can't even imagine how's the traffic there...), creating a big bottleneck. The third bridge will not help in this case, as it will be situated very far from the MetroBus route and it can't be exploited by this link.

In general, the public transport network in Istanbul is quite efficient, save for that bottleneck called "Bosphorus". This tunnel will help a lot.

DunkleSeele

Quote from: "Minimalist"

Well, I guess the Turks have learned a good lesson from the Bolu tunnel. It collapsed during the construction phase because of the Düzce earthquake. It was then rebuilt following a modified route and employing the most modern antiseismic tecniques. I believe this new tunnel in Istanbul to be quite safe.

aitm

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"
Quote from: "aitm"just another pathway fer terrorists....

:popcorn:

If you still have the air to breath that's another pathway fer terrorists, but that's how you make love to me and oh well...

I'm not quite sure what you meant, but I went into the closet just in case...:/
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Minimalist

Quote from: "DunkleSeele"
Quote from: "Minimalist"

Well, I guess the Turks have learned a good lesson from the Bolu tunnel. It collapsed during the construction phase because of the Düzce earthquake. It was then rebuilt following a modified route and employing the most modern antiseismic tecniques. I believe this new tunnel in Istanbul to be quite safe.

I wish them luck.....but its not nice to fuck with Mother Nature.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

DunkleSeele

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Wow Dunkle, you DO love her. And I get that, I know that.
If you mean that I love Istanbul, yes I really do (apart from the bloody traffic)! In fact, I love Turkey.
QuoteIt's just would be fine you getting me around. Mmm. Lol.
I'd sure love to! :heart: Although, I guess you know Istanbul much better than I do. Most of my trips to there have always been for business and I didn't really have much time to explore the city as it deserves.

aileron

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Does that one connect two major old continents too, Jason?  :-D

Connecting Eurasia to Eurasia counts as two continents?   [-X
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

aileron

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Eurasia to Eurasia? Half of ?stanbul is on what is called continental Europe.

In geographical terms Europe is a peninsula of Eurasia, a portmanteau of Europe and Asia.  Europe is a continent in the cultural / political sense of the word, but not the geographical sense (which seems to me a bit of a cop out to keep up the historical pretense that Europe is its own continent).
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

SilentFutility

Quote from: "DunkleSeele"
Quote from: "SilentFutility"What is your opinion on this project?

A third car bridge is also foreseen and it will certainly ease the traffic situation; still, lots of people in Istanbul use the public transport. As an example, since a few years a fast bus link (the "Metrobus") runs through the city, connecting the two sides. It transports one million passengers/day and it has its own, dedicated lanes, except when it has to cross the Bosphorus using one of the two big bridges; there it shares the road with the rest of the traffic (and if you've never driven in Istanbul you can't even imagine how's the traffic there...), creating a big bottleneck. The third bridge will not help in this case, as it will be situated very far from the MetroBus route and it can't be exploited by this link.

In general, the public transport network in Istanbul is quite efficient, save for that bottleneck called "Bosphorus". This tunnel will help a lot.

That answered my questions, thanks.
I've never been but would like to someday.