"This is about saving a species, not one animal."

Started by Solitary, October 27, 2013, 10:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

QuoteThe Dallas Safari Club is preparing to auction off an opportunity to hunt an endangered black rhino in Namibia -- to benefit the Save the Rhino Trust

The Dallas Safari Club is preparing to auction off an opportunity to hunt an endangered black rhino in Namibia -- to benefit the Save the Rhino Trust

The auction, to be held in early January, is expected to fetch between $250,000 to $1 million, Carter told NBC 5 by phone Friday.

The black rhino is "critically endangered," according to the International Rhino Foundation. An estimated 5,000 live in the wild.

When asked about offering a chance to hunt a member of an endangered species, Carter said, "This is about saving a species, not one animal."

The permit that will be auctioned is the first of its kind ever to be issued on behalf of the government of the Republic of Namibia outside of the country, Carter said.

In its press release, the DSC said that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has promised full cooperation with a qualified buyer.

But the hunt has drawn widespread criticism on social media and was the focus of a segment on "The Colbert Report" on Comedy Central on Thursday night.
http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episo ... tephen-fry  :popcorn:  How many hunters would pay for this if it was to hunt and take a picture? SmOff I think we should save the homeless population by raising money to feed them by a hunt for one of our members.  :shock:  :lol:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

_Xenu_

This seems ok to me. Think about how many other black rhinos might be saved at the expense of just one.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Hydra009

That's...an odd way of doing conservation.  Most groups tend to want endangered animals to you know, not be dead.

AllPurposeAtheist

Perhaps an explanation is due on exactly this auction is going to save a species..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Perhaps an explanation is due on exactly this auction is going to save a species..

SmOff The same way it would doing this: think we should save the homeless population by raising money to feed them by a hunt for one of our members.  :P  

Really, this is about making hunters look like they just hunt to save animals. How many hunters would donate to this hunt if they hunted and just took pictures? Why does there have to be a kill to get money for conservation---because hunters get a thrill out of killing. Admit it! Solitary

AllPurposeAtheist

You mean one of our members who's actually recently lived in homeless shelters? :shock:
Yeahhh.. I vote no on that.. :lol:

They need to make public the names of anyone who even places a bid and make them explain their true motivation..

Solitary

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"You mean one of our members who's actually recently lived in homeless shelters? :shock:

They need to make public the names of anyone who even places a bid and make them explain their true motivation..

SmOff That's only because you are prejudice.  :P   :lol: Solitary

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "Solitary"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"You mean one of our members who's actually recently lived in homeless shelters? :shock:

SmOff That's only because you are prejudice.  :P   :lol: Solitary
Indeed I am in this case. But I do know a few homeless guys the world could live without. :-k

Hydra009

Quote from: "Solitary"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Perhaps an explanation is due on exactly this auction is going to save a species..
SmOff The same way it would doing this: think we should save the homeless population by raising money to feed them by a hunt for one of our members.  :P  

Really, this is about making hunters look like they just hunt to save animals. How many hunters would donate to this hunt if they hunted and just took pictures? Why does there have to be a kill to get money for conservation---because hunters get a thrill out of killing. Admit it! Solitary
Let's not go there again.  Please.

But you do have an excellent point about the the completely unnecessary death of the rhino - it certainly does make this look like a flimsy pretext for otherwise illegal big game hunting.  And apparently, you can fool a lot of people into approving what they would otherwise consider poaching by invoking the greater good.

entropy

They should auction off the opportunity for hunters to hunt the poachers on the rhinos, shooting the poachers with tranquilizer darts and radioing the police to pick them up.

Shiranu

Quote from: "entropy"They should auction off the opportunity for hunters to hunt the poachers on the rhinos, shooting the poachers with tranquilizer darts and radioing the police to pick them up.

Minus the fact I would probably end up dead, I would join that...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Jason78

I say we make this fair and give the Rhino some kind of shoulder mounted missile launcher.

Y'know, to make it sporting.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

ApostateLois

I hate it when people talk about culling the herd, as if it is up to us to do so. How did rhino populations survive for millions of years without humans to kill them and take out the old and the weak? Pretty simple, really: nature took care of that through other means. With rhino populations extremely low, and the animals endangered, there should be NO talk of canned hunts at all. It is bad enough that poachers are going to drive them to extinction (you can bank money on this); allowing canned hunts is simply giving every hunter out there the idea that it's okay to kill rhinos.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"