News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Head transplant

Started by josephpalazzo, October 25, 2013, 05:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

Which body would you want? It might have been a dream so far but now technical hurdles have been overcome for head transplant, thanks to cell engineering.

http://www.pressbox.co.uk/detailed/Scie ... 05861.html

As a refresher, here's an episode from the Outer Limits - episode, the Donor.

[youtube:2qt6ccsw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJkx9pnBrl8[/youtube:2qt6ccsw]

Warning: gory details.

_Xenu_

Its actually been possible for a long time, but results in paralysis. It was done on chimps back in the 70's or so.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "_Xenu_"Its actually been possible for a long time, but results in paralysis. It was done on chimps back in the 70's or so.

Read the article. It's from 2013, not 1970's.

QuoteThe technical hurdles have now been cleared thanks to cell engineering. As described in his paper, the keystone to successful spinal cord linkage is the possibility to fuse the severed axons in the cord by exploiting the power of membrane fusogens/sealants. Agents exist that can reconstitute the membranes of a cut axon and animal data have accrued since 1999 that restoration of axonal function is possible. One such molecule is poly-ethylene glycol (PEG), a widely used molecule with many applications from industrial manufacturing to medicine, including as an excipient in many pharmaceutical products. Another is chitosan, a polysaccharide used in medicine and other fields.

Gerard

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"
Quote from: "_Xenu_"Its actually been possible for a long time, but results in paralysis. It was done on chimps back in the 70's or so.

Read the article. It's from 2013, not 1970's.

QuoteThe technical hurdles have now been cleared thanks to cell engineering. As described in his paper, the keystone to successful spinal cord linkage is the possibility to fuse the severed axons in the cord by exploiting the power of membrane fusogens/sealants. Agents exist that can reconstitute the membranes of a cut axon and animal data have accrued since 1999 that restoration of axonal function is possible. One such molecule is poly-ethylene glycol (PEG), a widely used molecule with many applications from industrial manufacturing to medicine, including as an excipient in many pharmaceutical products. Another is chitosan, a polysaccharide used in medicine and other fields.

The downside is that even Obamacare won't cover this.

Gerard

AllPurposeAtheist

I damned sure better not be able to get pregnant.. that's for sure..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

aitm

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"I damned sure better not be able to get pregnant.. that's for sure..

but imagine that! Instead of going through all the sex transplant surgeries you simply put your head on the bod of a chick...preferably a hot one of course.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "aitm"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"I damned sure better not be able to get pregnant.. that's for sure..

but imagine that! Instead of going through all the sex transplant surgeries you simply put your head on the bod of a chick...preferably a hot one of course.
That's making wild assumptions.. 1. There is a hot chick somewhere willing to donate a body to me. 2. Dr Frankenstein is willing to perform the procedure. 3. I'm willing to stick my ugly mug on a hot chick's body.. Ok..2 outta 3 ain't bad.. :)

aitm

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"
Quote from: "aitm"

That's making wild assumptions.. 1. There is a hot chick somewhere willing to donate a body to me. 2. Dr Frankenstein is willing to perform the procedure. 3. I'm willing to stick my ugly mug on a hot chick's body.. Ok..2 outta 3 ain't bad.. :)

face it apa, we both know a hot bod is a hot bod but a ugly face is only a few beers from a cutie pie.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Solitary

Yes! How many of us men have woke up in the morning with a woman on our arm that looked like this after drinking way too much: When we thought she looked like this: :shock:  :-&  :lol:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mister Agenda

I wish them and the person they try it on, luck. If we were able to reliably repair spinal cord injuries already, I would be more optimistic about this. I think the best first result they can hope for is 'slightly less paralyzed than that monkey was'.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Mermaid

I want my head to be transplanted on a man's body. I would be able to pee standing up, and I'd have a built in toy.

I would not leave the house for months.  :)
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

AllPurposeAtheist

I look way to much like my sister as is and the last thing I need is to look even more like her not to mention I couldn't stand the heartbreak of using my belt not only to hold my pants up, but as a bra as well.. :shock:

leo

Quote from: "Solitary"Yes! How many of us men have woke up in the morning with a woman on our arm that looked like this after drinking way too much: [ Image ] When we thought she looked like this: [ Image ] :shock:  :-&  :lol:  Solitary
:shock:  The chick above is ugly as hell.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "leo"
Quote from: "Solitary"Yes! How many of us men have woke up in the morning with a woman on our arm that looked like this after drinking way too much: [ Image ] When we thought she looked like this: [ Image ] :shock:  :-&  :lol:  Solitary
Oh Leo, we know two beers and Solitary holding a spitwad to your head and you'd do her in a heartbeat.  :heart: :lol:

_Xenu_

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"
Quote from: "leo"
Oh Leo, we know two beers and Solitary holding a spitwad to your head and you'd do her in a heartbeat.  :heart: :lol:
Solitary is female?
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home