Why are most atheists right wingers?

Started by mediumaevum, October 21, 2013, 12:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frosty

A problem in this thread is that there is no complete universal definition for what is politically 'right wing' and what is politically 'left wing'. Such determinations on the political scale vary depending on what country you go to.

I'm not a left winger, but I'm not a right winger either. Things are far too complex and require more responsibility and rationality than simply picking one side over the other and entrenching yourself.

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"US is not a Christian theocracy. If Christianity stood in front of US imperial politics today, it would take 3 to 5 decades at most for American culture to be manipulated by the states and governments to a point where the majority of the population made believe what they actually believe in has never been the real Christianity at all, but now this *insert some fantasy religion here and call it Anachronism* a true form of one right religion. And this time those people would debate about how America was actually founded on these anachronistic terms, but that old secularism and atheism have constantly attacked to the values and principles determined by founding fathers to the every long dead president of the glorious past who obviously had the best intentions for the people.

United States is so a powerful totalitarian state -'best' one ever existed- it's the last thing most of its citizens would ever imagine they live in one. On the contrary, their principle conviction of existence is that they live in the most 'independent' place with the most 'freedoms' that can be achieved. It's really that fucking good.

All religion within 5 minutes of it's revelations become muddled with various factors - culture, politics, personalities, regional customs, and so forth. Yes, I'm willing to bet many White Christians in the U.S. truly believe they follow the "real" Christianity, but they simply do not, regardless of what they want to tell themselves. Every single established religion on the planet currently exists in an altered form than it's original state - that's a product of the factors listed above, as well as time itself withering things away. Translation and the changing of language also vastly changes words in scriptures and how we follow such words.

Hydra009

Yeah, me too.  I know you've got all sorts of what I'll call criticisms of U.S. culture and foreign policy.  I frequently share those criticisms, though obviously I dial it down a little bit from your stance.  You're entitled to your opinion there, and so am I.

But facts are facts.  And I'm terribly sorry if I've misread you here, but with the statement, "In United States, all though there is the principle of separation between the state and church stands, there is no such thing in main culture or reality. The United States claims to be 'secular', but neither its international/domestic policies, nor its culture is secular.  There is no real laiscism or secularism." you certainly seem to be denying that America has ever been secular, both at the national level and the general populace.  I'll concede that the general populace has been and currently are strongly religious at a level that is extremely atypical for a western, industrialized nation.  (Though obviously, a subset of Americans have been and even today are fervent secularists)  However, you are factually wrong about this not being a secular state.  And even cursory historical research would point you in this direction.

You did correctly identify that there is a separation of church and state, but then bafflingly denied that it has ever existed in reality.  To be honest, I don't know what to make of such a claim except to say that is factually incorrect and insultingly wrong at that.  Again, a cursory glance is all that is needed to clear that one up.  This is a principle that has been applied time and time again through the courts, where establishment of religion in a government was disestablished, mandatory prayer has been stricken down, and religious tests for office were removed or rendered unenforceable.  This has not been a perfect or instantaneous process, and attempts at intertwining church and state continue on to this day.  Yet American secularism did exist and does exist.

lumpymunk

The truth is that most Atheists are simple fucks, just like most religious people!

In the mind of a simple fuck the political party that is socially conservative for religious reasons is unappealing... and that is the end of the train of thought.

Simple Fucks.

frosty

There is a constant battle in the U.S. between secularists and religionists. I agree with the idea that it is unusual and ridiculous for there to be such religious activism in the U.S. as compared to other first world nations. But Hydra's notion that the secular movements have moved forward seems to be correct. On one hand, there will always be religious activists in the U.S. thumping their own values over others. People can't let go, and that's not going to change. But on the other hand, the U.S. has a massive populace of secular citizens that not only are secular activists, but even moderate religionists have something in common with them when it comes to lifestyle, separation of church and state, and so forth. The majority of the citizenship in the U.S. seem to prefer modern secular rule and the benefits that come with it, which is personal freedom to do what you want. Modern U.S. "culture", let's face it, spits in the face of religious values and moral upbringings. On that level I would say the absolute majority of the U.S. is the exact opposite of a "Christian Nation".