Why are most atheists right wingers?

Started by mediumaevum, October 21, 2013, 12:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mediumaevum

EDIT: I was wrong about this topic. Seems like things works differently in different countries.
-------------------------

There are plenty of theists who are right wingers, but it is my observation of society, that the vast majority of atheists or rationalists or materialists, who come to be extreme right wingers,
mainly Conservatives or Libertarians.

For example, the Republicans in the U.S. are a bunch of atheists. The most anti-state, anti-welfare politicians in the U.S. and Britain, are atheists.
(EDIT: This seems to be wrong)

Most atheists also are pro-death penalty, while a lot of theists, mainly Christians, are against the death penalty.

The world's largest Atheist Country, China, along with North Korea, are also the most authoritarian regimes, executing most people per capita.
While I know China and North Korea officially are leftists (Communist), they act more right-winged than left-winged.

For instance, North Korea is more like right-wing Fascist nazi-germany than it is like the Soviets or Cuba.
And China is more like the U.S. or Fascist Italy or Fascist Spain in the 1930's/40's.

Why?

Jason78

Ok.  I seem to have wandered through a portal into an alternate universe...
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

mediumaevum

Quote from: "Jason78"Ok.  I seem to have wandered through a portal into an alternate universe...

How so?

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "mediumaevum"For example, the Republicans in the U.S. are a bunch of atheists.
I stopped reading when I got to this line. If you're really so out of touch that you can seriously believe that, there can be nothing of value in the rest of your post.

People more patient than myself can deal with you.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Solitary

Are you being serious ?  Here is a very short example of why this atheist is to the left:  Rep. Eric Cantor, Sen. Tom Coburn, Sen. Jim DeMint, Gov. Bobby Jindal, Sen. John McCain, Gov. Sarah Palin, Rep. Mike Pence, Rep. Paul Ryan, Gov. Mark Sanford and Sen. John Thune.  :roll:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

AllPurposeAtheist

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

Quote from: "mediumaevum"it is my observation of society, that the vast majority of atheists or rationalists or materialists, who come to be extreme right wingers, mainly Conservatives or Libertarians.
Source?   :-k

IIRC from polls here, the most common stance is liberal, followed by libertarian.  Not a whole lot of conservatives.

QuoteFor example, the Republicans in the U.S. are a bunch of atheists. The most anti-state, anti-welfare politicians in the U.S. and Britain, are atheists.
This again?   #-o

The vast majority of Republicans in the U.S. are Christians under the standard definition of the word (belief in the God, belief in the divinity of Jesus).  Whether they behave as Christians ought to behave is a different story.

QuoteMost atheists also are pro-death penalty, while a lot of theists, mainly Christians, are against the death penalty.
Strike that.  Reverse it.

"Two-thirds of Protestants and Catholics, alike, are in favor of the death penalty as a punishment for murder, as are at least six in 10 adults regardless of whether they attend church weekly, monthly, or less often. Only among those who say they have no religious preference, which would include atheists and agnostics, is there a difference, with a slightly smaller 56% in favor of the death penalty."

//http://www.gallup.com/poll/159770/death-penalty-support-stable.aspx

QuoteThe world's largest Atheist Country, China, along with North Korea, are also the most authoritarian regimes, executing most people per capita.  Why?
Because they're both communist regimes with state atheism.  Authoritairanism is the reason they're so gung-ho on capital punishment, not atheism (as other countries that are largely atheistic but have either abolished the death penalty or severely restricted it can attest)

stromboli

Could somebody please kick this dickhead off of here?

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "stromboli"Could somebody please kick this dickhead off of here?
Since when is having misguided and ignorant opinions grounds for getting kicked out? Seems to me the boy needs educated. Kicking people out for lacking education sounds rather right wingish in itself.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Shiranu

QuoteFor example, the Republicans in the U.S. are a bunch of atheists.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

mediumaevum

Sorry, I need to clarify:

I've discussed politics with a whole lot of people. On the internet and in the real world.

The vast majority of people seem to be cathegorized as following:

People who are hard-nosed conservatives, in the terms of: Anti-welfare, pro-death penalty and more harsh punishments instead of rehabilitation,
are mostly atheists. There are, of course, many atheists who are not, and of course there are religious people who believe in the DP, no welfare etc.
But this is my own private observation when discussing politics.

Officially, their parties are pro-Christian. But their voters aren't neccessarily religious.
I'm not talking politicians, I'm talking the voters like you and me.

And then we have the soft-liners on issues like crime and punishment and rehabilitation instead, pro-welfare and want the rich to pay more taxes.

In Denmark we have a Christian newspaper, Kristelig Dagblad. It's views and opinions and articles are waaaaaay more pro-welfare and "soft-liners" and on the party line with the
Red-Green Alliance Party (a party consisting of former members of the Communist Party and other extreme leftwing parties) and it doesn't even come near to the right winger's opinion on the matter.

The opposing party to the Red-Green Alliance is the most Liberal party of Denmark (Liberal Alliance) wants seperation of Church and State and some fractions even want the monarchy abolished. They are truely liberal.
But they are right-wingers on economic issues and goes even further than the Conservatives, even when it comes to issues on crime and punishment, many members of Liberal Alliance wants to re-instate the Death Penalty (though it is not the party line) and some want to deprive welfare-recipients their right to vote.

When I'm saying that the same goes for Republicans, it's because I've discussed welfare politicis with Americans voting Republican party.

mykcob4

Quote from: "mediumaevum"There are plenty of theists who are right wingers, but it is my observation of society, that the vast majority of atheists or rationalists or materialists, who come to be extreme right wingers,
mainly Conservatives or Libertarians.

For example, the Republicans in the U.S. are a bunch of atheists. The most anti-state, anti-welfare politicians in the U.S. and Britain, are atheists.

Most atheists also are pro-death penalty, while a lot of theists, mainly Christians, are against the death penalty.

The world's largest Atheist Country, China, along with North Korea, are also the most authoritarian regimes, executing most people per capita.
While I know China and North Korea officially are leftists (Communist), they act more right-winged than left-winged.

For instance, North Korea is more like right-wing Fascist nazi-germany than it is like the Soviets or Cuba.
And China is more like the U.S. or Fascist Italy or Fascist Spain in the 1930's/40's.

Why?
Well your assumption is wrong. The fact is that statisticaly atheist tend to be liberals but that is not a hard fast rule.
http://atheism.about.com/od/aboutatheis ... litica.htm
Since a common denominator among atheist is the ability to think critically, most atheist regard politics on an issue basis rather than a party basis.
http://atheism.about.com/od/aboutatheis ... litics.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_at ... cs_and_law
http://atheism.wikia.com/wiki/Atheist_Politics

mediumaevum

The logic doesn't fit, if Christians should be pro-death penalty.

Christians should be anti-death penalty, because if you believe in the death penalty, as a Christian, you believe someone should be punished and not forgiven (Christians
believe in forgiveness) AND the deceased will go to heaven, forgiven by God himself.

It's way more logical for an Atheist to be pro-death penalty:

You get your life deprived, for all eternity, no coming back, in the most cruel, inhumane way ever.

That's why I'm saying that Christians = anti-DP, Atheists = pro-DP.