Discussing The Soul, Posted For Laughs (Mine...NOT Yours'!)

Started by gomtuu77, October 12, 2013, 01:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gomtuu77

I thought I would get a chuckle out of posting this, and there's a chance that something might register with another as well.  Enjoy!

[youtube:3dsr5kbp]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFL-0IrlPC4[/youtube:3dsr5kbp]

In His Grip,

gomtuu77
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis, Is Theology Poetry? -

Solitary

Quote from: "gomtuu77"I thought I would get a chuckle out of posting this, and there's a chance that something might register with another as well.  Enjoy!

Writer posted a YouTube video

In His Grip,

gomtuu77

If we have a soul separate from the body how come drugs put in the body effect it, why does a bump on the head effect it, why does a brain injury effect it, why does anesthesia make it go away, why does psychoactive drugs take it to heaven or hell? Why is it never seen to exist without a body unless it is seen by hallucinating psychotics?  But what is evidence when you have faith?  :lol: Another god of the gaps in our knowledge argument. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Plu

I like how he just randomly asserts that the soul isn't physical and that there are ways to show it exists, but then entirely omits all of them.

That said; the first reason for the soul not existing is indeed stupid ("we've been looking for a hundred years and haven't found it" isn't proof of anything)

The second one makes sense once you understand what it means for something to by physical. Simply said; a physical thing is something that actually exists, while something that is not physical does not exist. This is more or less by definition. A non-physical object cannot be measured, which means it cannot affect anything in the physical world, which means that for all scientific purposes it doesn't exist.

Now if you move on to nonsensical purposes, you can claim whatever you like, but until you can measure it, it isn't real. Look at the Higg's boson for example. It was only assumed to exist until we actually measured it. And scientists will gladly spend billions of dollars to locate these things, so "we just haven't looked hard enough" isn't an actual excuse. We simply have nothing to look for.

But yeah; I did get a chuckle out of this guy, who seems to have a basic grasp of science and yet so fails to apply it to some parts of his beliefs.

MrsSassyPants

Gumshoe, your obviously on the wrong forum.  Santa Claus and the tooth fairy are things you believe in when your a child.  When you grow up, you either embrace reality, or you create invisible friends.  Pretty simple.  One day, when your dead, you will be worm food and afterliving the same existence as the centuries before your birth.  Nothing else.  And when it happens, you will not care.
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU!

SGOS

I agree.  You can't prove the soul exists (or not) using science.  But if there are other ways to prove it, as he claims, he doesn't say what it is.  Now WTF is that supposed to prove?

There's lots of things science can't prove, and logically that means they might exist.  It also logically means that they might not exist.  While, if you think about it, gets us no where.  We are simply left with maybe or maybe not.

Enter the magnificent God of the gaps, where answers are provided when answers don't exist.  It explains what cannot be proven using a vehicle which itself cannot be proven.  But what else can you do when you want to believe something that you have no logical reason to believe?

Hijiri Byakuren

I stopped when he said, out of hand, that consciousness isn't physical. I have better things to be doing with my time than listen to unfounded bullshit.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Colanth

To answer your original question, science doesn't study assertions (unless you consider the "science of abnormal psychology to really be science), it studies evidence.  And there's no evidence of anything other than what you see - a brain operating the way it would if that's all there was.

Show science evidence (actual physical evidence, not an assertion) of a "soul" and it'll be studied.

Science hasn't refuted the soul, Santa Claus or flying reindeer - because there's nothing to refute.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

ApostateLois

"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

PickelledEggs

Why can't we prove/disprove souls? I think we had a whole thread on this topic so I won't get in to that. But you can prove that you have an imaginary friend by buying an imaginary friend birth certificate

TrueStory

Please don't take anything I say seriously.

aitm

because taping a video in a garage makes it all the more impressive and adds credibility to high falutin speechifyin.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "aitm"because taping a video in a garage makes it all the more impressive and adds credibility to high falutin speechifyin.
He's a carpenter. That practically makes him jesus. Are you saying jesus doesn't have the credibility to talk about souls?  :lol:

aitm

if you turn the volume off, you don't have a fucking clue what he is talkin about. Thats kinda funny.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

A. The video comes to no usable conclusion and is a non sequitur
B. I'm pretty sure that's a Harbor Freight drill press.

mykcob4

Quote from: "gomtuu77"I thought I would get a chuckle out of posting this, and there's a chance that something might register with another as well.  Enjoy!

Writer posted a YouTube video

In His Grip,

gomtuu77
1. I hate the title of their organization "Stand to reason" as if they are reasonable. What a joke!
2. I'm not sure but it sounds like he took the article out of context. Given his motivation, I'm sure he did. No scientist is ever going to say that they tried to prove a negative. And no journalist is going to misquote a scientist if they are indeed a credible journalist.
3. He acts as if athiest and nonbelievers are making an assumption when it is the theist that are making the assumption indeed a "leap of faith."
4. He trivializes sceptacism with a goofy story about an invisible man. "I can't see your invisible man" That is misleading and speaking for people not there and infact lying about what they may say.

Lets get down to his setting.....Really, a garage workshop? What is the symbolism here? It isn't even a real workshop. It's a mock up of a workshop. All the tools are brand new and unused. The tools don't have any rhyme or reason to the type of shop it is. It's as if a very bad prop manager set it up.
I can't take that person serious at all but I am sure people do,....very dumb people.