News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Terrorists Have Won

Started by Solitary, October 17, 2013, 12:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

My wife and I returning to the United States from the Netherlands went through similar interrogation because of the places I have been to, though not as extreme as this man went through.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/niels-ger ... ostpopular       :roll:   It could be because a dog kept following me around sniffing at my feet.  8-[  He! He! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Jason78

QuoteThe Terrorists Have Won

I could have told you that 12 years ago!
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Shiranu

I have heard several Europeans say they have had very unpleasant time trying to come into the U.S. or knew people who were harassed coming into the country. It's ridiculous.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Eric1958

I wonder if they specifically look for immigration officials who have personalities that lean towards those of paranoid bullies.

AllPurposeAtheist

Yeah, you often see on the news when militants in the middle east shoot guns in the air chanting NOT death to America, but PAIN IN THE ASS TO VISITORS TO AMERICA!

It's game over, eh?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

Quote from: "Eric1958"I wonder if they specifically look for immigration officials who have personalities that lean towards those of paranoid bullies.
That.  Or maybe the nature of their job lends itself to paranoia.  Better to be overcautious than to be undercautious, I suppose.  But there's that and then there's haranguing a well-traveled visitor simply because he's traveled to a few muslim countries.  Talk about overdoing it.

aileron

His and your experiences are unfortunate, but are isolated incidents that do not reflect the larger trend in entries to the USA.  The US has for the most part been relaxing entry requirements and inconveniences, and the number of foreign visitors to the US has increased more than 50% since a post 9/11 trough in 2003.  For the first time in the nation's history we have a public-private organization, Brand USA, advertising for tourists to come to the USA.  The State Department is spending millions to streamline visa processing, especially in Brazil and China whose tourists like to go on US shopping sprees.  It seems to be working since we're approaching $200 billion a year in foreign tourism.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Shiranu

QuoteNobody even asked me to get through a body scan. I was only asked to open my carry on bags in Munich (and that's standard for everyone) when departing and again back in Munich because I forgot a little birthday sprinkle can which the German officer let me pass with 'Oh I see, that looks messy though'. Not entering or leaving US customs once I was asked to open my carry ones. They of course opened my main luggage after I gave it in Chicago and left an official note which is fine.

I would just like to say that I think it is domestic terrorism that I, an American citizen for my entire life, am treated worse every time I go to the airport than some Muslim Communist Turkish person. :P

I am lucky if they don't wand me and give me a pat down... in my last 4 flights, two of them I was patted down at least once at one of the airports I went through. Last time I was in LAX I was pulled aside when ever we were boarding the plane and forced to show I.D. to two TSA people and I think a actual cop.

I don't know if I look like someone on a terrorist watch list or a drug smuggler or what, but it is inconvenient. At least the worst they have done is make me prove I am who I am and not take me back for questioning or any shit like that.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Jmpty

Going through customs in China is a little surreal, but other than that, I've never had an issue.
???  ??

Mermaid

I had an issue traveling on a domestic flight, so I'll have to agree about the terrorists winning. I was completely humiliated by a TSA employee in SAT because he wanted me to remove my sweater and I was wearing a sheer tank under it, so I did not want to. He asked me to remove it by mumbling "sweater, sweater, sweater, sweater" at me, which I could not hear or understand until he said it for about the tenth time, at which time he was irritated and nasty. When I explained that I really really did not want to remove my sweater in public because I was not wearing sufficient clothing underneath, he yelled over to his colleague loudly "She doesn't want to follow the rules, she needs to be patted down" and quite angrily directed me to stand in a glass cage for a few minutes while my husband waited for me on the other side of security.  It was a short and otherwise uneventful detention, but made me think about what some people have to go through.

A colleague was just telling me about her experience flying into Sydney, where people without tickets are allowed right up to the gates and you didn't have to go through an x ray or pat-down just to get into the gate area. Remember how that was? It was like that here not so long ago.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

EntirelyOfThisWorld

On Sept 12 2001 I was walking through the Galeria shopping mall in Encino CA wearing a back back as I alwys do, being a bicycle commuter, and lots of people were wathcing me, terrified.

Yes.  You are correct.
Freedom is Free.  It\'s included in Democracy.  Democracy is Hard.  It involves coexisting with people who think that sayings like "Freedom is not Free" actually makes some kind of sense.

Jason78

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Really? I mean, really?

Terrorist have won, because America has created an abusive culture in the name of national security?

Because America is the only country hit by terrorists, so professional, organised assholism and douchebagery must be the way? Terrorists have won, because Americans can not take their heads out of their asses to improve their belligerent culture? There is nothing with the way the individuals behave in any of these stories, right? Oh yeah, look it's just terrorists, they have won!

You know what, I don't know if it is the Americans or their culture that is stupid or not, I don't really care, but for the place you claim with all that sources and 'freedom' and superiority complex most of you cannot add 2 and 2. (Not literally.)

When the people are willing to give up their freedoms for the illusion of security, then yes, the terrorists have won.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

SGOS

It's a bit over the top, but entering the US has never been a pleasant experience for me.  I've never encountered what that guy did, but then I'm a US citizen.  Even when I meet a friendly guard, rare experience that it is, I'm already stressed by the anticipation because I expect American border agents to be assholes.  They are too.  Assholes!  I don't know if they are trained or selected, but their prick attitudes were like that back in the 60s.

Entering Canada, they ask you what your reason for coming to Canada is, and usually end the conversation with, "Welcome to Canada."  Turn around the next day and return to the States and there's a 80% chance you will be treated with disrespect if not outright distain.  However, this has not been my experience when entering ports in the US with my yacht.  I don't know why that is.  Maybe it's like they think I have a lot of money.

Mermaid

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"You know what, I don't know if it is the Americans or their culture that is stupid or not, I don't really care, but for the place you claim with all that sources and 'freedom' and superiority complex most of you cannot add 2 and 2. (Not literally.)
Uh. Thanks.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

aitm

Most of our "screeners" are uneducated idjits, one step away from living in momma's basement. That role is the greatest thing in their lives.

"YOU and YOU alone are the guardians of the AMERICAN way...god bless you all, now go out there and stop them TERRORISTS.- amen"
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust