News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Deal or default?

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, October 15, 2013, 11:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

What do you think will happen? Personally I think tea party strategy is default to attempt to blame the WH & Obama and make the claim as Rush Limbaugh, 'See? I told you so.'
But that's a fools errand. Tea partiers believe wrongly they hold all the cards, but if they push it to default they'll be history's fools.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hijiri Byakuren

I hope Obama has the balls to pull out the 14th amendment and say, "Debt limit? What debt limit?"
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Atheon

Obama, as president, has sworn to defend the US against all enemies, foreign and domestic. The Teabaggers are the domestic enemies he has to defend us against.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Jason Harvestdancer

Well, the US government has never defaulted, except for when it defaulted in 1971, 1934, 1933, and in 1861.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Agramon

Less than 24 hours to go!

[youtube:16ifno0n]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw[/youtube:16ifno0n]
"And, tricked by our own early dream
And need of solace, we grew self-deceived,
Our making soon our maker did we deem,
And what we had imagined we believed."
- Thomas Hardy

Jason78

The two sweetest words in the English language! De-FAULT! De-FAULT! De-FAULT!
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Shiranu

I vote default. I think the Republicans are too fractured to propose a serious compromise.

That is sad too, with how spineless Obama is... if they could get their shit together, I think he would be willing to give them a 75/25 deal in their favour to avoid the impending "disaster" that is completely their fault.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

There will be a default unless the Democrats cave in order to save the economy (in other words - corporate interests), and the rest of us will be required to sacrifice a small portion of our standard of living. Democrats will shout about having saved the day.  Republicans and Tea Baggers will snicker.

Shiranu

As terrible as a default may be, if the Democrats cave in it means only one thing... any time a minority party doesn't get its way, it can hold the entire country hostage to get its way.

It's a lose/lose, but I think the default is the more appealing of the two.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

josephpalazzo

The president cannot cave in, otherwise this will open the door to any group of politicians to make unreasonable demands with the threat of sending the whole economy into a depression. If there is even the tiniest concession, the GOP will declare victory, and watchout for the next round as things will get worse. This has to end right now. No concessions. Pass a clean CR and a clean raising of the debt ceiling.

entropy

Though Boehner has been all over the map - along with his caucus - about what he (they) want in exchange for not shooting the hostage, oddly enough he has been consistent in saying he wouldn't shoot the hostage. At heart Boehner is a Wall Street guy and he knows Wall Street thinks that going into default is a bad thing, so I think he will either find a way to get the Republicans to vote for the Senate deal or he will let the Democrats pass it in the House with a few Republican votes. Taking it to the utter limit is his tactic to turn around and try to save his Speakership against a Tea Party revolt - he's going to say that he did every last thing he could OTHER than going into default. The really sad thing is that even for all his prevarication, given the makeup of the House Republican caucus, Boehner may actually be a better choice for Speaker than what would likely be the alternative that the Tea Partiers come up with.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "Jason_Harvestdancer"Well, the US government has never defaulted, except for when it defaulted in 1971, 1934, 1933, and in 1861.
I don't think we had $16 trillion to default on those times, though.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

AllPurposeAtheist

Interesting comment by Robt. Reich.. Voters voice is ignored, polls mean little to nothing, but Wall St is calling all the shots. The banksters are the ones financing political campaigns so who cares what we as voters think?
Of course I'm paraphrasing..and adding opinion, but hey.. BIG SURPRISE! The money talks.. :| :roll:

stromboli

I think deal, because the Repubs are already smeared with stupid. Not passing a clean CR is political jeopardy. All they ever needed was to introduce the bill and vote on it.

AllPurposeAtheist

To bad the tea partiers are all in extreme safe seats. I almost rooted for default if for no other reason than to be done with them, but now they get to make the false claim they fought the good fight.