When atheists listen to music, how do you explain the feelin

Started by MmmAtlas, October 12, 2013, 07:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bericks999

Quote from: "MmmAtlas"
QuoteWell, science is what gives you 99% of what you have, do and experience today so it really shouldn't strike you as odd when somebody uses it to explain something.  For Christ sakes, it's like were being invaded by 4 year olds!
No need to sound like a robot when feeling or explaining something ;)
But that is true :) Inventions etc are pretty good :)
But can put a little soul into things aswell, and not love machinery, or else you will turn into one :P
How's this....I feel annoyed by your posts!!! especially that smiley, winking face at the end of each sentence....Fuck!!!
... I swear, one day religion is going to physically poison me to death.

SGOS

QuoteWell, science is what gives you 99% of what you have, do and experience today so it really shouldn't strike you as odd when somebody uses it to explain something.  For Christ sakes, it's like were being invaded by 4 year olds!
But can put a little soul into things aswell, and not love machinery, or else you will turn into one :P
[youtube:2e3q1sft]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdIJ2x3nxzQ[/youtube:2e3q1sft]
I think he's just saying that there are scientific explanations for why we feel things.  It's Ok to be all touchy feely too, but the explanations are still there, even if you don't want to acknowledge them.

MmmAtlas

Quote from: "bericks999"
How's this....I feel annoyed by your posts!!! especially that smiley, winking face at the end of each sentence....Fuck!!!
That was many posts :)
You got a problem with mah smileys?
[youtube:3f74gx6b]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVSTUHdWVVM[/youtube:3f74gx6b]

MmmAtlas

Quote from: "SGOS"
[youtube:26mlowpl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdIJ2x3nxzQ[/youtube:26mlowpl]
I think he's just saying that there are scientific explanations for why we feel things.  It's Ok to be all touchy feely too, but the explanations are still there, even if you don't want to acknowledge them.
Its all well in a lab though or school :)
The feeling of nature and all that stuff, is nice when not sounding too robotic :P
But cool :)

SGOS

Oops.  I didn't read ahead sorry.  Apparently, he's also telling you to stop being a douche bag... No scientific explanation necessary.

MmmAtlas

Quote from: "SGOS"Oops.  I didn't read ahead sorry.  Apparently, he's also telling you to stop being a douche bag... No scientific explanation necessary.
Now i felt that, that is good feelings ;)
[youtube:2itmx9tn]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe4dC10PqlU[/youtube:2itmx9tn]
Wink wink ;)

MmmAtlas

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"In which period of history you are living in? Somewhere between 16th to 19th century?

What do the emotions any art form designed to evoke in human have got to do with being an atheist or science? People feel whatever the artist wanted to make them feel or identify with his music, if he is successful in conveying them. People do not try to explain what they are feeling with some 'divinity' every time they feel it, because 'they were moved' listening to music. This is something learned and 'developed' not some natural reaction of emotions evoked by art.

You are describing a specific kind of emotion and a moment some person goes through with a specific frame of mind. Which was also promoted by several different art movements in history, be it expressed in music or any other medium by the way. According the your obsolete, ancient sense of art, we cannot experience art if we do not believe in a creator which is against everything about art that is as old as human and definitely far more older than any sense of 'creator' a any human being is familiar with in the last forty thousand years.

Universality of music as an art form does not dictate some sub condition to its medium to send the recipient into a specific 'divine' sense of attachment to a creator or to its exact opposition to by the artistic knowledge expressed in it. It's art. It 'gives' what the individual is 'prepared' to take. While one would feel 'the greatness and eternity of god', other feels being a part of the universe without any false, taught sense of divinity. Or just some woman that broke his heart, or her mother, or the high school drama he acted in...etc.

I never said "Creator", i said feel. :) Common sense, basically.

bericks999

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Bericks, stop hitting the submit button repeatedly and check what you have posted afterwards. You have posted the same post for 7 times,lol.
It is late and I haven't slept so maybe I'm missing something here but what the hell are you talking about?  Nowhere in this or any other thread have I posted more than once because I've never hit the submit key more than once!

Disregard, I do see it and have cleaned it up although not sure how it happened cause I don't think I repeatedly hit the submit key although like I said, I haven't slept.  Thanks drunkenshoe!

MmmAtlas

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Yeah, I figured it would be helpful to inform you what you are actually talking about in the scale of that 'common sense' with what you stated in OP, in an atheist forum.
lol

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Icarus

Quote from: "MmmAtlas"I am testing your common sense, and so far its not working out.
Science can explain things, but not feel things :P lol

I guess you didn't read my link to neurochemicals. You can't judge other people common sense when you lack it so obviously.

bericks999

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"
Quote from: "bericks999"
Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Bericks, stop hitting the submit button repeatedly and check what you have posted afterwards. You have posted the same post for 7 times,lol.
It is late and I haven't slept so maybe I'm missing something here but what the hell are you talking about?  Nowhere in this or any other thread have I posted more than once because I've never hit the submit key more than once!

Disregard, I do see it and have cleaned it up although not sure how it happened cause I don't think I repeatedly hit the submit key although like I said, I haven't slept.  Thanks drunkenshoe!

It's OK, Bericks. I just thought I would point it out. Nevermind.
Read the last paragraph of my post, I was thanking you!  Again, sorry, no sleep!!

MmmAtlas

Quote from: "Icarus"
Quote from: "MmmAtlas"I am testing your common sense, and so far its not working out.
Science can explain things, but not feel things :P lol

I guess you didn't read my link to neurochemicals. You can't judge other people common sense when you lack it so obviously.

Trying to complicate words is not common sense :P
That's like "Big Bang Theory" shack:
[youtube:1b9renxt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ynf44b867I[/youtube:1b9renxt]
Use feelings ;)
But no worries mate :)

MmmAtlas

QuoteDisregard, I do see it and have cleaned it up although not sure how it happened cause I don't think I repeatedly hit the submit key although like I said, I haven't slept.  Thanks drunkenshoe!

It's OK, Bericks. I just thought I would point it out. Nevermind.
Read the last paragraph of my post, I was thanking you!  Again, sorry, no sleep!!
Don't worry mate, we are all friends here ;)
^^

Icarus

Quote from: "MmmAtlas"Trying to complicate words is not common sense :P
Use feelings ;)
But no worries mate :)

Neurochemicals are a very basic concept that is a basis of brain function. I'm sorry you find it so complicated; this may be what has lead you down the path of the 'soul'. It's a lot easier to say 'soul' in response to anything to do with the brain instead of actually trying to find the answer. The brain is a highly complex thing so explaining it away with 'soul' and 'feelings' isn't common sense but pure laziness (common sense would be: the brain is highly complex so the functions involved are probably also highly complex).