When atheists listen to music, how do you explain the feelin

Started by MmmAtlas, October 12, 2013, 07:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MmmAtlas

Quote from: "Icarus"
Quote from: "MmmAtlas"I just found it ;)
Took a little while :)
Here is quote
" represent a rejection of theism, and that such rejection of their theistic doctrine entails nihilism."
;)

Still confused on how you go from Neurochemicals to Nihilism as a logical jump.
Well it did start with an N. Been awhile since, but then google helped me. ;)

Shiranu

That isn't the definition of nihilism, though.

Quotethe philosophical doctrine suggesting the negation of one or more putatively meaningful aspects of life. Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form of existential nihilism, which argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value.[1] Moral nihilists assert that morality does not inherently exist, and that any established moral values are abstractly contrived. Nihilism can also take epistemological or ontological/metaphysical forms, meaning respectively that, in some aspect, knowledge is not possible, or that reality does not actually exist.

Yes, there are some doctrines of nihilism that are atheistic, but that is just a few doctrines out of a much wider field. It's like saying all biology is microbiology.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "Johan"WTF does that have to do with being able to enjoy music?
Didn't you know Johan? No one can enjoy anything without a magical sky daddy.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Johan

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"
Quote from: "Johan"WTF does that have to do with being able to enjoy music?
Didn't you know Johan? No one can enjoy anything without a magical sky daddy.
Well that explains why so many people yell 'oh god' over and over so often during sex.  :wink:
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

mykcob4

Quote from: "MmmAtlas"1.Do you use "Science" which to me sounds robotic when explaining feelings.
2. Or do you use your instant feelings to explain what you like about it.
Just curious to hear what you prefer. No stress ^^
Writer posted a YouTube video
Atheist are just like everyone else. You can be inspired, but as an atheist you know that it wasn't a god that inspired you. I often say "Ihave the soul of an artist." It's just an expression. I don't believe I have a soul at all, but I do feel and emote like anyone else that is moved by art in whatever form.

Shiranu

To answer op's question;

Science.

Sorry if that sounds robotic to you, but that speaks more to me of an unimaginative and robotic view of science than a short coming of science itself.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Aupmanyav

Quote from: "MmmAtlas".. but this other word is "A person who doesn't find meaning in life". Sorta like Atheism, but without a purpose.
Meaning for me is my family, my society, my country, and all the world, in that order. I am a strong atheist.

As for music, the neurochemicals in the brain decide (even without my thinking about it), I express the overall feeling.
Quote from: "MmmAtlas"Here is quote
" represent a rejection of theism, and that such rejection of their theistic doctrine entails nihilism." ;)
Nihilism is full of immense possibilities, like Lawrence Krauss' - 'creatio ex nihilo'.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

billhilly

WTF??  I'm an atheist, I don't believe anything has any objective "meaning" whatever that is, and I just got home from a gig playing bass so explain that.  Music causes and is caused by electricity and chemicals and our singer drank too much whiskey and went flat a lot tonight.

MmmAtlas

Quote from: "Shiranu"To answer op's question;

Science.

Sorry if that sounds robotic to you, but that speaks more to me of an unimaginative and robotic view of science than a short coming of science itself.
I am testing your common sense, and so far its not working out.
Science can explain things, but not feel things :P lol

MmmAtlas

Quote from: "mykcob4"
Quote from: "MmmAtlas"1.Do you use "Science" which to me sounds robotic when explaining feelings.
2. Or do you use your instant feelings to explain what you like about it.
Just curious to hear what you prefer. No stress ^^
Writer posted a YouTube video
Atheist are just like everyone else. You can be inspired, but as an atheist you know that it wasn't a god that inspired you. I often say "Ihave the soul of an artist." It's just an expression. I don't believe I have a soul at all, but I do feel and emote like anyone else that is moved by art in whatever form.
Well that is good, you don't use science for that, you feel it.
Good answer mate (Y)

MmmAtlas

Quote from: "Shiranu"That isn't the definition of nihilism, though.

Quotethe philosophical doctrine suggesting the negation of one or more putatively meaningful aspects of life. Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form of existential nihilism, which argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value.[1] Moral nihilists assert that morality does not inherently exist, and that any established moral values are abstractly contrived. Nihilism can also take epistemological or ontological/metaphysical forms, meaning respectively that, in some aspect, knowledge is not possible, or that reality does not actually exist.

Yes, there are some doctrines of nihilism that are atheistic, but that is just a few doctrines out of a much wider field. It's like saying all biology is microbiology.

Works for me. If i had to explain to someone. But no worries :)

bericks999

Quote from: "MmmAtlas"Well that is good, you don't use science for that, you feel it.
Good answer mate (Y)
If the science of neurochemicals reacting in your body or your physiology in general doesn't make you "Feel" things than what does? Are you telling us that your god or your religion makes you feel things? Now that's fucking stupid!
... I swear, one day religion is going to physically poison me to death.

MmmAtlas

Quote from: "bericks999"
Quote from: "MmmAtlas"Well that is good, you don't use science for that, you feel it.
Good answer mate (Y)
If the science of neurochemicals reacting in your body or your physiology in general doesn't make you "Feel" things than what does? Are you telling us that your god or your religion makes you feel things? Now that's fucking stupid!
I just find it odd that people need to mark "Science" in order to explain common things in everyday life.
It's basically like being an robot.
"This material i am drinking, does not compute with my knowledge, need more juice" :P

bericks999

Quote from: "MmmAtlas"
Quote from: "bericks999"
Good answer mate (Y)
I just find it odd that people need to mark "Science" in order to explain common things in everyday life.
It's basically like being an robot.
"This material i am drinking, does not compute with my knowledge, need more juice" :P
Well, science is what gives you 99% of what you have, do and experience today so it really shouldn't strike you as odd when somebody uses it to explain something.  For Christ sakes, it's like were being invaded by 4 year olds!
... I swear, one day religion is going to physically poison me to death.

MmmAtlas

QuoteWell, science is what gives you 99% of what you have, do and experience today so it really shouldn't strike you as odd when somebody uses it to explain something.  For Christ sakes, it's like were being invaded by 4 year olds!
No need to sound like a robot when feeling or explaining something ;)
But that is true :) Inventions etc are pretty good :)
But can put a little soul into things aswell, and not love machinery, or else you will turn into one :P
[youtube:1qgvfw66]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdIJ2x3nxzQ[/youtube:1qgvfw66]