Atheists: Do you wear crosses, even though you don't believe

Started by MmmAtlas, October 12, 2013, 05:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

My wife is Catholic so we have every kind of Christian icon you can have in the house and outside in the yard for decoration. I also have a Buddha statue in the yard and a pagan tombstone. I also have Native American artifacts in the house. That's all they are---DECORATIONS. I forgot, my wife has a dildo that looks like the Virgin Mary she used to use to get to heaven.  :shock:  :rollin:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

goodwithoutgod

NO, I don't wear anything religious related..unless you count my GOODWITHOUTGOD pro atheist t shirt that says I have a close personal relationship with reality on the back :)

St Giordano Bruno

I know plenty I people who wear a crucifix because it is simple and symmetrical and no other reason, even though I would never wear one myself.
The shape of it makes it hang well between a woman's cleavage.
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

Agramon

Nah, I think it would clash with my gurney and needle jewelry.
"And, tricked by our own early dream
And need of solace, we grew self-deceived,
Our making soon our maker did we deem,
And what we had imagined we believed."
- Thomas Hardy

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "St Giordano Bruno"I know plenty I people who wear a crucifix because it is simple and symmetrical and no other reason, even though I would never wear one myself.
The shape of it makes it hang well between a woman's cleavage.
Apparently some jews wear crosses despite being jewish. Back before I ditched my cross, I was asked if I was jewish. I said, "don't you see my cross? I'm christian" She said that even though she was jewish she sometimes wears a cross to fit in, it looks good, etc. And she asked me because my last name is Polish and I live in a town that a good portion is Jewish, she figured that I was.

Sal1981

leo

Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

frosty

Lol I don't think the cross is strictly a symbol of western culture. A girl I once dated briefly was actually born in Iraq, and lived there for a while, she wore the cross and so did her family. She said that the remaining Christians there all wore the cross for sectarian identification and to retain their identity as Christians. But even though she wore the cross she was a secular person and so was her family.

I think that saying the cross is a symbol of western culture, strictly, is a misconception.

Mermaid

Quote from: "goodwithoutgod"NO, I don't wear anything religious related..unless you count my GOODWITHOUTGOD pro atheist t shirt that says I have a close personal relationship with reality on the back :)
I'd probably lose my job if I wore something like that. Sad but true.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Aroura33

No.  I also don't wear guillotines, iron maidens, racks, brazen bulls, a pillory, thumbscrews, or other torture devices for decorative purposes.

I do own a few simple necklaces, a very plain watch, and one bracelet that my in laws keep giving me charms for (so I feel obligated to wear it now and then).  I also like engraved rings, but only own one.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

frosty

I wonder where the origins of human self-decoration through piercings, jewelery, tattoos etc. really started a lot of info is conflicting.

Savior2006

On CF, I've heard of perhaps one atheist that wore religious bling. That's assuming the Christian wasn't lying to me.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Solomon Zorn

I wear the three symbols on my avatar as pendants: Peace, Life, and Diversity. On a couple of occasions my Ankh has been mistaken for a cross, but I'm always quick to correct the notion.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

barbarian

No, I do not wear any type of jewelry including time jewelry. I do have jackets and pants with zippers.