Star Wars 1-6, same popcorn movie all the way

Started by Graniona123, October 12, 2013, 10:33:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

The original trilogy was good, though 5 and 6 were by far the superior films. The prequels were garbage.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Graniona123

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"The original trilogy was good, though 5 and 6 were by far the superior films. The prequels were garbage.

Didn't notice a difference, people with light swords (bang, slice). Good popcorn films though :D

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Atheon

With the right people, food and drink, I would love to do it!!

My ratings:

Star Wars: Great - the standard by which all Star Wars movies should be measured.
The Empire Strikes Back: Superb - the best SW movie of all.
Return of the Jedi: OK - tired acting, corniness, teddy bears, emasculated Han Solo
The Phantom Menace: Sucks - Jar Jar, whiny Anakin, midichlorians.
Attack of the Clones: OK - mystery and action.
Revenge of the Sith: Good - action and a pretty well executed turn to evil.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Shiranu

Yeah, I agree. Star Trek was pretty much all the same stuff too... spaceships, lasers,planets, stars.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Yeah, I agree. Star Trek was pretty much all the same stuff too... spaceships, lasers,planets, stars.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

leo

The original trilogy is very good . The prequels are meh . I hope Disney will bring the old magic of the original trilogy with the new movies.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Hydra009

Quote from: "Shiranu"Yeah, I agree. Star Trek was pretty much all the same stuff too... spaceships, lasers,planets, stars.
With the minor difference that Star Wars is a space opera and monomyth with liberal use of fantasy tropes (good vs evil, damsel in distress, Dark Lord, quest, magic, etc) and avoidance of science fiction norms (used future, among others) while Star Trek is more of a wagon-train-to-the-stars that focused heavily on new technology and its effects with a distinct utopian, secular humanist bent and copious social/political commentary.

*tries to breathe*
*passes out*

Shiranu

Hydra009

Quote from: "Shiranu"... so not spaceships and lasers?
Lol, there's that.  They're similar in the sense that basketball and golf are about getting a ball in a hole.

AllPurposeAtheist

Meh..I hate to bust any bubbles, but I watched Star Wars as a young.man and never watched the rest. It just never really interested me after the first one.
Movies that completely speculate on the future, especially long after I'm dead don't do much for me.
Yeah, the special effects were cool and all that and I jumped in my car after the movie and was prepared to blast the other cars into tiny pieces. Luckily my car at the time, a 74 Chevy Vega (1974 Piece of Shit!) wasn't armed with Star Wars technology and no kitties were harmed.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solomon Zorn

Yeah, Star Wars is sci-fantasy more than science fiction. But in 1977, it inspired my 11 year old imagination like nothing before or since. That was before VCR's. I bought all the magazines and merchandise.

Star Trek is a much more sincere attempt at science fiction. Also Star Trek has about 450 hours of storytelling to enrich the setting.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Hydra009

Quote from: "Atheon"My ratings:

Star Wars: Great - the standard by which all Star Wars movies should be measured.
The Empire Strikes Back: Superb - the best SW movie of all.
Return of the Jedi: OK - tired acting, corniness, teddy bears, emasculated Han Solo
The Phantom Menace: Sucks - Jar Jar, whiny Anakin, midichlorians.
Attack of the Clones: OK - mystery and action.
Revenge of the Sith: Good - action and a pretty well executed turn to evil.
Same, but I beg to differ on Anakin's fall to darkness in Episode 3.  I mean, death by pregnancy at that tech level is laughable.  Then there's Anakin's unbelievable credulity and easy persuasion from a guy who practically radiates evil.  The youngling scene.  The hamfisted volcano scene.  The Big No at the end.  Uggh.  Just uggh.  Such a waste of a perfectly good opportunity.

The only part I actually liked about Episode 3 was Order 66.  In theaters, I was cheering, practically crying with tears of joy.  Got some dirty looks.  Heh.

Eric1958

Did it bother any one else that in the 4th and 5th movies Obi1 (ok I have no clue as to how his name is spelled) makes zero effort to go back to Anikan's home planet and buy his mother her freedom? I mean, christ, Anikan is a little kid when he is carried off to begin jedi training and all grown up when he decides to go look for his mom. What the hell was Obi1 thinking.