Why I am beginning to hate science/research

Started by mediumaevum, October 11, 2013, 06:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: "LikelyToBreak"While I think I understand your point, the "experts" can't always be counted on to watch out for our best interests.
Obviously, it's not perfect.  No organization is.  But when you don't rely on the experts, what do you rely on?  Gut feeling?  Alex Jones?

LikelyToBreak

Hydra009 wrote:
QuoteObviously, it's not perfect. No organization is. But when you don't rely on the experts, what do you rely on? Gut feeling? Alex Jones?
If something seems off, I guess that could be called a gut feeling, you can try to research the program or see if you can get a reporter, there are other reporters besides Alex Jones, to research it.  If something still seems off about it, then ask your Congresscritter to check up on it.  If they won't or you don't like their answers, then see if you can get other reporters involved to validate and expose the program.

Bottom line, if you rely solely on the "experts" you are going to get screwed.  Just like those guys in the Tuskegee experiment did.

Mermaid

Um. I'd just like to point out that "researchers" have families and medical problems just like everyone else. To suggest that they regularly breach ethics at the behest of someone else is something I have issue with. There have been some pretty bad events in history, and there have been regulatory bodies formed as a result of these. The Tuskeegee experiments are disgusting to everyone and should never ever be repeated.

I'd also like to point out that there is a big difference between focus on profitable medical interventions and actual ethical breaches.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

LikelyToBreak

Mermaid wrote in part:
QuoteTo suggest that they regularly breach ethics at the behest of someone else is something I have issue with.
I have not meant to suggest any such a thing.  Others may have, but I have not.  Just that legitimate experiments, would be open about what they are doing.  If I go into an medical experiment knowing that I might or might not be in the control group, than that is fine.  If they hide their true objectives and promise the experiment's participants things which they have no intention of doing, then they are being unethical.  

I would allow some deception with psychological studies though.  But, then I should know if I am taking part in a study when I do, if it requires anything other than mere observation.  In other words, they can't shock me in an experiment, unless I agreed to be shocked before hand.  Them saying, "But, you agreed to do the study, so we can shock you if we want to."  Doesn't fly.

Mermaid

Quote from: "LikelyToBreak"Mermaid wrote in part:
QuoteTo suggest that they regularly breach ethics at the behest of someone else is something I have issue with.
I have not meant to suggest any such a thing.  Others may have, but I have not.  Just that legitimate experiments, would be open about what they are doing.  If I go into an medical experiment knowing that I might or might not be in the control group, than that is fine.  If they hide their true objectives and promise the experiment's participants things which they have no intention of doing, then they are being unethical.  
I agree. So controlled study subjects are informed of the objectives of the study and give consent to participate.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Solitary

Most of the so-call research by scientist is not actually done by the scientific method or scientists that I have seen. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mermaid

Quote from: "Solitary"Most of the so-call research by scientist is not actually done by the scientific method or scientists that I have seen. Solitary
Can you elaborate on this?

Solitary

Quote from: "Mermaid"
Quote from: "Solitary"Most of the so-call research by scientist is not actually done by the scientific method or scientists that I have seen. Solitary

Any research posted on Microsoft or Fox News which owns it, or research that isn't done by a double blind study, or is biased.  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Icarus

Quote from: "Solitary"
Quote from: "Mermaid"

Any research posted on Microsoft or Fox News which owns it, or research that isn't done by a double blind study, or is biased.  Solitary

Which is the vast minority of all research not the majority.

MmmAtlas

You mean if scientists becomes the pawns in the game?
That reminds me of MGS1, when Otacon was used into making a nuclear weapon.
[youtube:2lue8hbz]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le5izNSDuds[/youtube:2lue8hbz]