Why I am beginning to hate science/research

Started by mediumaevum, October 11, 2013, 06:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: "mediumaevum"It's not crazy to be against scientific research, when one knows that one's social welfare depends on lack of scientific research.
In fact, it's quite logical. Not only that, it is completely rational.
Let me know how that works out for ya.   :rolleyes:

bericks999

Quote from: "mediumaevum"It's ok for scientists to conduct cosmological research or nuclear research, but I don't think medical research is a good idea after all.
Yep, they need to put a stop to all that medical research...great idea genius!
... I swear, one day religion is going to physically poison me to death.

Jason78

Quote from: "mediumaevum"You get a serious illness. Its not one that causes your death, but it causes you to be unable to work.
You know that if you get cured, you'd lose your welfare income and end up in the eternally long unemployment queue without an income and with hard social, economical, political and judicial pressure on you.

Who'd like to be cured from the serious illness? You got to be stupid if you want that cure!

Having a serious illness isn't as much fun as you think it is.  It isn't sitting at home getting a fat welfare check and hanging out on the couch all day watching TV.  It fucking sucks.

Call me stupid if you like, but I like living!  I like being able to go out into the world and do stuff.  So I'd quite happily take that cure thank you very much.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Hydra009

Quote from: "bericks999"
Quote from: "mediumaevum"It's ok for scientists to conduct cosmological research or nuclear research, but I don't think medical research is a good idea after all.
Yep, they need to put a stop to all that medical research...great idea genius!
And the best part is that it's such an easily-implemented goal.  Sorry guys, no more medical research, mediumaevum thinks it's a bad idea.  *shuts down medical R&D around the globe*

AllPurposeAtheist

mediumaevum, move to the US and become a tea party darling.. Your future seems quite bright..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Bibliofagus

Quote from: "mediumaevum"
Quote from: "Plu"That seems like a totally reasonable position  :roll:

Yes. It is.

Consider this:

You get a serious illness. Its not one that causes your death, but it causes you to be unable to work.
You know that if you get cured, you'd lose your welfare income and end up in the eternally long unemployment queue without an income and with hard social, economical, political and judicial pressure on you.

Who'd like to be cured from the serious illness? You got to be stupid if you want that cure!
To want a cure for a serious illness that grants you economic security is nothing but political, economical, judicial and social suicide.

I have nothing against working, and I work what I am able to.
But I don't want to be under the pressure that it causes if my situation goes away.

You do realise that being unable to work due to a permanent condition involves inconveniences right? Like being blind or something?
Right?
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Tornadoes caused: 2, maybe 3.

Jmpty

???  ??

Hydra009

Quote from: "mediumaevum"You get a serious illness. Its not one that causes your death, but it causes you to be unable to work.

To want a cure for a serious illness that grants you economic security is nothing but political, economical, judicial and social suicide
I'm sure that people in that sort of situation just looove being dependent on the government dole (I've heard it's super pleasant and secure, especially in the US) and don't have any career ambitions whatsoever.

Hijiri Byakuren

Kitchen knives can be used by criminals to kill people! I hate kitchen knives! :rolleyes:
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

LikelyToBreak

Jason78 wrote in part:
QuoteCall me stupid if you like, but I like living! I like being able to go out into the world and do stuff. So I'd quite happily take that cure thank you very much.
I'm on disability and most days I feel like I have a mild case of the flu.  Some days I can barely stay awake.  My wife won't let me drive very far without someone with me.  Damn right I would take the cure.

It sounds like instead of fixing the political abuses, mediumaevum wants to through the baby out with the bathwater.  :-?

AllPurposeAtheist

Heh.. I worked HARD physical labor for years till my heart and legs crapped out on me so now I've applied for disability. (Government dole) If I had the option to get my health back so I could resume hard physical labor as opposed to a few hundred bucks a month..
Yeah, the security of a few hundred bucks a month compared to several hundred a week, sometimes several thousand a week..
Damned, if only my health could get even worse. :lol:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

mediumaevum

Sorry, it went a little too fast, when I was writing about welfare/permanent condition. I couldn't finish it before I was interrupted, and I barely could edit it.

Here is an extended version, and I sure hope people read it:

First of all, I am NOT talking about welfare fraud. I hate fraud, especially welfare fraud, because that makes it harder for people who genuinly need help.

Secondly, I am NOT talking about disabled, mentally or physically, being lazy at all. I have my issues too (more about that later in this post), and I've been told that I am not lazy.
I don't see myself as lazy either.

Thirdly, I am NOT talking about completely abolishing all kinds of medical research or medical cures etc. I will elaborate here:

Imagine that you suddenly or gradually become blind. Who would like to see again? I doubt anyone would say no.
Now, imagine someone who was born blind, and have lived 20 or 30 years of age without ever knowing what it means to see again.
I am sure it would create so many new impressions that everything seems scary. I know, because I often close my eyes and hold on my ears when there's too much stimula/impressions/sounds/light.

I hate to be honest about my issues, and last time I told about them on another forum... I got banned.
Anyway, I take the chance. I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) and other issues that makes me wierd in such a way that I cannot support myself without adequate assistance.

It sucks, because I can't get an education, I can't work under pressure etc. I am lucky to have a occupation working under conditions that I am able to.
My life sucks, but if someone gave me the opportunity to be cured of autism, I would say no, and if someone tried to force me to be cured of autism, I will commit suicide.
There's absolutely no discussion about that.

The reason is that I don't want to be another person than the one I am. Surely, my life sucks sometimes, but I'd rather have a life that sucks big time than having an altered personality from the one that I was born with.

Surely, if I break an arm or leg I'd be happy to be able to walk again.

What I was talking about in my OP is my worries that some scientist would come up with a cure for autism, because according to the Danish Social Welfare Laws, you have to recieve any cure there is, no matter how intervening, no matter how extreme it may be, no matter how dangerous it is, you have to say yes, or you are subject to penalties.

It's not about that I don't want to work. Its not about that I love to have support from community, municipality etc.
It's about that I don't want mind altering drugs or surgeries, which will be the reality if a cure for autism is found.

I am telling you this, ONLY because I feel I am under pressure to say so. I know I am now subject to a risk of bullying and ridicule.
It's a risk I have to take. The other (not telling the truth) is certain bullying and ridicule.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "mediumaevum"I know I am now subject to a risk of bullying and ridicule.
Don't worry, you crossed that threshold long before making this thread.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

mediumaevum

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"
Quote from: "mediumaevum"I know I am now subject to a risk of bullying and ridicule.
Don't worry, you crossed that threshold long before making this thread.

You people have hated me ever since I wrote my intro post saying that I am not an atheist.
Back then someone, I don't remember who, said that I wouldn't last long on this forum, and you surely are not making it any easier for me.

It's like when I was a kid and the other kids didn't even know me, they've never seen me before, but they instantly said:
"I don't want to play with YOU!"

Plu

QuoteYou people have hated me ever since I wrote my intro post saying that I am not an atheist.

It's more about the weird bullshit you post all the time than about not being an atheist.

That said; you're finally starting to make sense on this topic. And the thing with Autism is that most of the time it's a disorder, not a problem. So I can see where you're coming from, except you're blaming the wrong side. Science is not to blame; it's merely trying to understand stuff.

The blame lies on those who seek to abuse that knowledge and do things that are not ethical/moral. Which in this case is basically politicians/society.