Author Topic: Computer Question  (Read 1770 times)

Re: Computer Question
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 10:37:05 AM »
Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "LikelyToBreak"
Might try cleaning out your cookies.  

What possible effect would that have?
If the pages are loading slow because they're trying to read cookies that are corrupt, clearing cookies will eliminate the problem.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Re: Computer Question
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 10:48:31 PM »
Quote from: "Jmpty"
Windows 7 with time warner broadband. Internet explorer browser. I'll try chrome.
Same setup (even the same A/V) with Firefox and no problems.  (Although using IE doesn't cause any either.)

Do a speed test (speedtest.net) to a server about 1,000 miles away and see if you have any problems, like a high (> 50ms) ping time or hangups in the download portion.  TW isn't one of the best internet providers I've ever used but, aside from a few week period when we lost the connection a few times a day, they're not the worst of the big ones either.
Afflicting the comfortable for 65 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Re: Computer Question
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2013, 04:38:36 PM »
Suggestions.
1. Try reseting your router
2. Get a new web browser.

Re: Computer Question
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2013, 06:53:04 PM »
Quote from: "Johan"
Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "LikelyToBreak"
Might try cleaning out your cookies.  

What possible effect would that have?
If the pages are loading slow because they're trying to read cookies that are corrupt, clearing cookies will eliminate the problem.
But if they're trying to load non-corrupt cookies that aren't there, and the site was written by some wiz-kid who's been in the business a whole 3 weeks, it could bring the browser to its knees.

Delete individual corrupt cookies (they're text files so, aside from encrypted data, they're human readable), but don't delete all cookies wholesale.  (For one thing, all sites you log into, or saved data on - like shipping address, preferences, etc. - will "forget" the data you saved.)

As far as ccleaner causing problems, there was a problen 3 months ago, so the person installed ccleaner 2-1/2 months ago and the computer needs repair.  Could be that ccleaner can't fix that kind of problem, and it just kept compounding.  I have computers that ccleaner has been running on for years - and it never caused a problem.  (It fixed a few, though, more easily than if I had fixed them manually.)  Should everyone run it?  Of course not.  Probably 50% of the programs being run today should only be run by computer experts.  Try telling that to people who can't find the "any" key.
Afflicting the comfortable for 65 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Re: Computer Question
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2013, 08:31:17 PM »

Re: Computer Question
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2013, 09:12:18 PM »
Quote from: "Colanth"

But if they're trying to load non-corrupt cookies that aren't there, and the site was written by some wiz-kid who's been in the business a whole 3 weeks, it could bring the browser to its knees.
Doubtful. Any page which is coded in the way which you suggest would not be able to load for anyone who didn't already have the cookies on their drive. Therefore the page would never load for anyone because the cookies in question would not exist on your drive until you successfully load the page for the first time. What you're suggesting is kind of a catch 22 type thing. The page won't load unless you've been there before. You can't have been there before unless the page loaded previously.



Quote
Should everyone run it?  Of course not.  Probably 50% of the programs being run today should only be run by computer experts.  
Which is exactly why I think recommending others run it is always bad advice. If you've got the skills required to use ccleaner without issues, then you already know ccleaner exists and what it does so you don't need anyone recommending it for you. If you first learn about it via someone recommending it as a solution to a problem you've asked about, its probably best if you stay away from it. IOW, any problem ccleaner is capable of fixing is a problem that those who are qualified to use it would already know how to fix on their own and therefore wouldn't need to ask advice from strangers on the 'net to solve.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Offline Jmpty (OP)

Re: Computer Question
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2013, 01:35:27 PM »
I have figured out that this only happens with links posted on facebook. Hmmm.
???  ??

Re: Computer Question
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2013, 09:54:48 PM »
Quote from: "Johan"
Quote from: "Colanth"
Quote
Should everyone run it?  Of course not.  Probably 50% of the programs being run today should only be run by computer experts.  
Which is exactly why I think recommending others run it is always bad advice. If you've got the skills required to use ccleaner without issues, then you already know ccleaner exists and what it does so you don't need anyone recommending it for you. If you first learn about it via someone recommending it as a solution to a problem you've asked about, its probably best if you stay away from it. IOW, any problem ccleaner is capable of fixing is a problem that those who are qualified to use it would already know how to fix on their own and therefore wouldn't need to ask advice from strangers on the 'net to solve.
If the problem you have is one that CCleaner fixes, and it's recommended that you use it to fix THAT problem, there's nothing wrong with using it.  But that's just 50 years of computer design experience speaking.  Maybe I don't know enough about how computers work. eh?
Afflicting the comfortable for 65 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Re: Computer Question
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2013, 09:55:29 PM »
Does it happen if you go to the same page by typing in the address of the page manually?
Afflicting the comfortable for 65 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Re: Computer Question
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2013, 11:02:47 PM »
Quote from: "Colanth"
If the problem you have is one that CCleaner fixes, and it's recommended that you use it to fix THAT problem, there's nothing wrong with using it.  But that's just 50 years of computer design experience speaking.  Maybe I don't know enough about how computers work. eh?
You know what you know. I know what I know. If you want to argue with me or call me crazy because I see dollar signs when I see ccleaner recommended, then you're more that welcome to do so. But I know what I saw on machines that had it installed vs machines that didn't and I know what those machines did for my bank account. Simple as that.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful