Is there a religion or old myths, about trees

Started by RaymanZ, October 07, 2013, 09:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaymanZ

Because i like trees, so i was just wondering if there are some religion that has stories about trees "Tree of Life" etc, or something like that.
It might sound weird, but i'm just asking anyways.

Solitary

My Swedish last name is from the linden tree---meaning leaf of Linden tree.

QuoteThe tree also has cultural and spiritual significance in Hungary, where it is called hars(fa).The Croatian currency, kuna, consists of 100 lipa, also meaning "linden". The lime tree is also the tree of legend of the Slavs. In the Slavic Orthodox Christian world, limewood was the preferred wood for panel icon painting. The national poet of Romania, Mihai EminescuFacts About Mihai Eminescu , was known to receive poetic inspiration from a linden tree in the Copou Gardens under which he would compose. The most famous street in Berlin, Germany is called Unter den Linden or under the lindens, named after the linden trees lining the boulevard. In German folklore, the linden tree is the "tree of lovers." The tilia was also a highly symbolic and hallowed tree to the Germanic peoples in their native pre-Christian Germanic mythology. For pre-Christian Germans it was an object of worship since the lime-tree was associated with Freya, the guardian of life and goddess of fortune, love and truth.  

Folklores and Myths

There are folklores saying that when the flowers were added to baths it is helped in quelling hysteria. The species of tilia namely tilia cordata is the national tree of the Czech Republic and the Republic of Slovakia. Many myths and folklores have always surrounded this spectacular leaf fall phenomenon of the tree. For example, Native Americans theorized that in autumn the Great Bear constellation (Big Dipper) was killed and the blood dripped down to Earth onto some of the leaves making them red. While the meat was cooking, fat dripped over and collared other leaves yellow. The tree was considered a tree of peace for it was associated with Freya, the guardian of life and goddess of fortune, love and truth and it often formed the central meeting place of many villages and rural communities. Furthermore, legend has it that it cannot be struck by lightning since Freya is the wife of Wodan, the main god of the Germanic pantheon.

Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

I hear they have a secret to be silent when they fall down in forests when nobody is present to hear them fall, but I snuck in once and heard one say, 'Shhhhhh! I'm falling...'
Yes, it was quiet, but not quiet enough. :)
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

Humans love trees. So do Bark beetles.

There is probably deeper meaning there, but I'm not sure what.  :-k

Solitary

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"I hear they have a secret to be silent when they fall down in forests when nobody is present to hear them fall, but I snuck in once and heard one say, 'Shhhhhh! I'm falling...'

YOU FUCK WITH SOLITARY YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH ME

Solitary

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"I hear they have a secret to be silent when they fall down in forests when nobody is present to hear them fall, but I snuck in once and heard one say, 'Shhhhhh! I'm falling...'

Solitary

Aupmanyav

We have a few stories about trees. One is Kalpataru. This tree is supposed to fulfill all desires. It is in Lord Vishnu's abode, Vaikuntha, but its off-shoots existed in the hermitages of sages. In Gita, Lord Krishna says that among trees, I am the Banyan. Banyan worship is prevalent all over India. Women tie threads around it and pray for well being of their menfolk.

Tulsi (Holy Basil) is considered wedded to Lord Vishnu. Every hindu house-hold will have a Basil plant in its courtyard, and watering a Basil plant is the first thing that many a hindu women do everyday without fail after their bath and start of the day's work.

Then, we have a community, Bishnois, in Rajasthan which considers all life as sacred. They do not allow hunting or tree cutting in their areas. And they are ferocious about it. In 1730, the employees of Jodhpur King wanted to cut some trees for the Royal Kitchen. The Bishnois resisted. The employees resorted to firing but the Bishnois chose to die rather than allow cutting of their trees, Khejari (Prosopis cineraria). In all, 363 person's died before the King woke up to the carnage and ordered a stop to it.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... Temple.JPG
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

Jack89

The "World Tree" is central to many religions and mythologies.  What first came to mind was Yggdrasil out of Norse mythology.  //http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil