"Stand Your Ground" Doesn't Apply To Black People

Started by stromboli, October 05, 2013, 11:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://politicalblindspot.com/another-j ... ly-to-him/

QuoteAlmost unbelievably, another story is breaking on a national level about an African American in the state of Florida who is the victim of the racist "Stand Your Ground" laws. Just like Marissa Alexander, Michael Giles stood his ground against an unprovoked attacker, and today this military veteran is behind bars, sentenced to 25 years in prison!

Michael Giles' mother writes the following, in his petition, which you are all encouraged to sign...

Three years ago my son Michael was attacked outside of a club in Tallahassee, FL. His attacker admitted in open court that he attacked Michael with no provocation.

Michael's attacker admitted he was angry that someone had interrupted his dance, and wanted to hurt the next person he saw. That next person standing to the side, not partaking in the violence, was Michael. His attacker was not fighting alone, state witnesses testified that there were between 30-40 people involved in the brawl. The state's own witnesses also testified that the aggressor instigated several other fights that night, and was acting erratically and violently. His attacker's own friend testified she was worried the aggressor would kill or seriously injure someone. In comparison, state witnesses testified that Michael, was calmly standing to the side, and did nothing to provoke the attack.

My husband and I are proud military veterans, with a combined 40 years of service, and we were proud when our son also chose to serve his country. Michael completed a tour in Iraq and Kuwait and was looking forward to furthering his career in the military, but now all of that has changed. We believe that we have raised a good man. He had no prior criminal offenses, no history of violence, and was a outstanding father and Airman. So we do not understand how the state of Florida could sentence him to a mandatory 25 years for defending himself.

Assuming the facts are as given, this is more blatantly biased than any other previous "stand your ground" incident. Unbelievable and as pointlessly biased as possible.

Jmpty

???  ??

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

AllPurposeAtheist

Next thing you know the Florida response will be grave concerns over a slave uprising..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Johan

Seems pretty unfair. But is it racist? I think that's impossible to say for sure based only of the information presented.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

LikelyToBreak

Assuming this is a true account, it doesn't prove the law to be racist.  It might prove the judicial system is racist.  Which I think we can all pretty well agree it has been proven to be so.  It might also be another case of prosecutorial misconduct, which is much more prevalent than most people will admit to.  All the laws in the world mean nothing if they are misapplied in practice.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Next thing you know the Florida response will be grave concerns over a slave uprising..
At elections, they make sure in South Florida where most people, and a large black population, overwhelming vote democrats, they put fewer voting stations in each district, and each station has a bare minimum of staff, resulting in huge line-ups. I know some people had to wait up to 6 hours to vote. Many had to leave after a couple of hours because children were waiting at home. You don't see big line-ups in the north, where people vote Republicans. Naw, couldn't be because of race, no way... like you say,  must be grave concerns over a slave uprising... #-o

Shiranu

I don't think the law is racist,  but some of the courts sure as hell are unless you ignore years of questionable verdicts in Florida.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

mykcob4

Racism has become so blantant and institutionalized that this socalled law, which by all reason is unconstitutional has become the racist tool of our era. I can believe that this story happened just like the story was told. I see things like this every day, and it almost always happens in the south. It sickens me that in this great nation we cannot purge this country of racism. I guess we'd have to purge it of utter stupidity. Given the fact that most people are theist, I guess it's a lost cause.

mykcob4

Quote from: "Shiranu"I don't think the law is racist,  but some of the courts sure as hell are unless you ignore years of questionable verdicts in Florida.
Ofcourse it's racist. There is no need for such a law. By law you have always been legally able to "stand your ground."

Colanth

The judge thought the sentence was overly harsh, but decided not to do anything about it, even though the sentencing recommendation was probation?  He might as well have come out and said that he was using his position to throw another black man behind bars.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Plu

The racism must run very deep if the US sends one of it's own "military heroes" behind bars, where normally even the mention of being in the military would excuse most people.

_Xenu_

If we're going to have these laws, they need to be applied equally. Personally though, I think a case like this is why a governor has the power to pardon people. Sometimes the courts fuck things up really, really bad. To do this to a family of veterans is especially despicable.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Colanth

Quote from: "Plu"The racism must run very deep if the US sends one of it's own "military heroes" behind bars, where normally even the mention of being in the military would excuse most people.
In some parts, among some of the people ... it's as much a part of their lives as breathing.  Maybe just a bit more.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.