News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A Little Payback For Boehner

Started by stromboli, October 04, 2013, 09:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

I think it's childish. Granted Boehner is responsible and I'm all for it that he should be exposed as such, but using a crying baby is just stupid. The ad should have focused on facts not on emotions. That's what's wrong with this fucking country.

Mermaid

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"I think it's childish. Granted Boehner is responsible and I'm all for it that he should be exposed as such, but using a crying baby is just stupid. The ad should have focused on facts not on emotions. That's what's wrong with this fucking country.
Uh. It's a very relevant example. And THAT, my friend, is a fact.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

LikelyToBreak

I've got to agree with josephpalazzo on this one.

SGOS

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"I think it's childish. Granted Boehner is responsible and I'm all for it that he should be exposed as such, but using a crying baby is just stupid. The ad should have focused on facts not on emotions. That's what's wrong with this fucking country.
It's a political advertisement.  Advertising is used to sway people.  Emotion is a powerful motivator used in ads.  It could have been more intellectual and focused on facts, but most people are more driven by emotion than facts.  The ad was not made for you (or me for that matter since I rather agree with you).  It addresses a much larger audience.

Will it be effective?  I don't know.  I'm continually confounded by people and politics.  I don't think it captures Boehner's demeanor, who is more of a prick than a cry baby, so the ad was kind of jarring to me in that way.  My guess (and only a guess) is that Boehner is quite pleased with himself for shutting down the government.  The only thing that would make him cry is losing an election.

aileron

Quote from: "SGOS"I don't think it captures Boehner's demeanor, who is more of a prick than a cry baby...

When he took over as speaker, he became very well known for his crying.  At first the GOP defended it as love of country, mom, and apple pie, but soon even they came to see his crying as sickly and cloying.  The party elders had to tell him to do whatever it takes to stop it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyxioZZdiTg

QuoteMy guess (and only a guess) is that Boehner is quite pleased with himself for shutting down the government.

He didn't want to do it.  He's just too in love with being the speaker that he won't stand up to the fleabaggers.  Any grown up legislation requires him to get support from Democrats to join with so-called moderate Republicans, but being renewed as speaker comes from exclusively the Republican caucus including the fleabaggers.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

stromboli

I have no sympathy for Boehner. He has openly disrespected the office of the president since Obama was elected, from declaring that he shouldn't give a joint speech to congress (something that has never been done before) to siding with the Tea Party on the debt issue. So the commercial is sophomoric. So is the whole scenario in congress right now. I'd say it goes with the territory.

LikelyToBreak

SGOS wrote in part:
QuoteIt could have been more intellectual and focused on facts, but most people are more driven by emotion than facts.
Which is the biggest problem we have in politics. IMHO.  While single issue voters, and the team D and team R voters, annoy me.  Those swayed by emotions annoy me the most.

aileron posted a video showing how one politician uses emotion to sway the voters.  Others use different means, but it always comes back to playing on peoples' emotions.  It sux!  :x

AllPurposeAtheist

Crybaby ads do nothing for me and will likely do nothing in Cincinnati where the ad is airing. As much as I like my old stomping grounds it's full of morons. Hell, in Dayton they elect funeral directors to run the city..a mere 50 miles up I-75.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Colanth

The ad is aimed at the people who voted for Boehner in the first place - and they're not the intellectual elite.  Good ad agencies aim their work at the people it's supposed to influence.  Bad ad agencies produce intellectual works of art.  Once.  Before they file for bankruptcy.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

stromboli

Quote from: "Colanth"The ad is aimed at the people who voted for Boehner in the first place - and they're not the intellectual elite.  Good ad agencies aim their work at the people it's supposed to influence.  Bad ad agencies produce intellectual works of art.  Once.  Before they file for bankruptcy.

Point is it will get noticed. Long term, anything that hurts his base and works against him being reelected is good, but based on what I know, the guy practically runs unopposed most of the time.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "SGOS"
It's a political advertisement.  Advertising is used to sway people.  Emotion is a powerful motivator used in ads.  It could have been more intellectual and focused on facts, but most people are more driven by emotion than facts.  The ad was not made for you (or me for that matter since I rather agree with you).  It addresses a much larger audience.

True, however I think the country is sick and tired of politicians acting like children, why so many people don't even bother to vote. I think a little less drama and fact-based policies would do all of us a great deal to restore our trust in the system. Right now, we meander from crisis to crisis, and that's not the way to run a family, a business, let alone a country. In case some people haven't figured this one out - we are the laughing stock of the world.

QuoteWill it be effective?  I don't know.  I'm continually confounded by people and politics.  I don't think it captures Boehner's demeanor, who is more of a prick than a cry baby, so the ad was kind of jarring to me in that way.  My guess (and only a guess) is that Boehner is quite pleased with himself for shutting down the government.  The only thing that would make him cry is losing an election.

I wouldn't be surprised if it backfires. This is money badly spent.

IMMadAsHell

The fact that the bill would pass if Boner (incorrect spelling on purpose) would submit indicates that they (the Rupublitards) are acting like cry babies.  So, I find it very appropriate, though irritating.  Also the fact that one man can hold up legislation but not bringing it up for a vote shows that there is something drastically wrong with our political system.
I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. – Susan B. Anthony

Two hands working can accomplish more than a thousand clasped in prayer. – Anonymous

lumpymunk

Proud of you Joseph,

We've had a lot of disagreements on these forums.  I'm both surprised, and glad we can agree on this.  I think the "make fun of republicans constantly" gameplan has reached the point where this type of childishness is way too common.

AllPurposeAtheist

Ohio is by no means a tea party stronghold, but the ad didn't focus on Boehner's bowing down to them and it should have. Merely depicting him as a child will do little but to antagonise his base. At best it may turn a few, but it's doubtful. It's money squandered.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.