Do Gamers Need Sarkeesian's Feminism?

Started by Shiranu, October 02, 2013, 11:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"That was targeted to a few specific people. I trust the people following the thread are intelligent enough to get that. I am getting the same bullshit all the time. Do you have any idea how tiring is that? You snap with one negative remark, Hijiri. I have been putting up with this for some time now. And ignoring people doesn't get you anywhere either.
My my, for someone accusing me of being thinskinned you sure are quick to snap at someone who has otherwise been on your side the whole time. If you haven't noticed, I prefer the "second strike insult" policy. Which is to say, I don't start calling people "stupid, immature fucks" until they have done something to piss me off beyond disagreeing with me. So when someone I otherwise agree with goes with the "first strike" policy, that is where we part ways.

I also find that last line of yours rather ironic when you routinely fail to understand why I almost never support you in threads like these. It's more accurate to say that ignoring the opposing position doesn't get you anywhere. Ignoring harmless assholes, on the other hand, does wonders for reducing one's stress level.

Oh, and don't bother turning that one around. You're the one who decided that not wanting to be associated with another one of your rants was grounds for jumping down my throat and insulting my integrity. There is a saying, "Pick your hill to die on." You're not very good at this, if you really think my post merited a response.

Good luck with this debate, for however long it lasts. I, for one, will not be making the mistake of taking your side in the future.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

SilentFutility

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"You kept telling how there isn't a specific problem, even if there is a problem
Made that up.
I kept saying that the problem was online anonymity and impunity.

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"your childish emotional attitude
I'm not the one ranting, swearing, using ad hominems and putting words into other people's mouths.

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"and now again blaming me for putting words in your mouth
Yeah you never do that, not even in this very post.  :rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"and throwing a pile of baseless insults.
Please quote the multiple insults I "threw" at you that you think are baseless.

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"And you are talking about intellectual dishonesty. Wow, what a pathetic example of projecting. And nobody has spent the thread claiming anything about you, please get rid of this inflated sense of your presence. I made responses to you, because I tried to make a conversation. Because you don't make sense with this emotional explosion of yours. I have tried to tell you this with different ways, instead of ignoring you.  Whatever, whoever you are pissed off at, go talk to
them. Stop throwing it on to me.
You've alread been asked to demonstrate in what way I had an overly emotional reaction and you haven't.
You've also accused me multiple times of being angry, including via PM, and been asked to show examples of this, and you haven't.

I quote your points and respond to each concisely, you dismiss everything I say as babble and accuse me of being angry and emotional while swearing at me and insulting me, when asked for something to back up the things you claim about me/insult me with etc. you ignore it to the point that even those on your side think you're being ridiculous. Who is being emotional exactly?

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"I had to quote lines from the article to other posters who insisted to read it selectively, so I said the same thing to you.
I gave no implication that I hadn't read it.

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Nobody called you stupid,
You inferred it by implying that I was incapable of reading a simple body of text.
Also, calling me childish and saying every post I make is babble isn't exactly far off.

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"nobody said you were biased against me because I am female.
Good, because I'm not.
Why on earth do you think I've somehow got an irrational hatred of you then?  :-s
Protip: disagreeing with you doesn't mean I hate you

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"because you are not aware of what's going on in the thread
I'm well aware of it, but you ranting and swearing at people for daring to add to the discussion is threatening to obscure it.

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"you are just trying to get back some imaginary character called 'drunkenshoe', who is against all things SF in your head. For some reason she only treats you so badly for kicks and giggles. Oh yeah.
You've been asked to provide evidence for this accusation multiple times and you have not provided it. Thus it is extremely intellectually dishonest and downright shitty of you to keep making it.

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"None of you stupid, immature fucks are capable to write a very simple line of "Oh I didn't know that, so some research indicates that there is a gender specific problem". And you are talking about intellectual dishonesty?
I did know that more females than males recieved abuse on the internet.
That STILL does not change the fact that the solution I proposed would work, and that you have proposed none.
It also does not make me a bad person for suggesting a solution.

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"the only thing is how can you disagree with 'drunkenshoe', create a bandwagon if possible (of course always around the same people), how can you get back to her with something that would provoke her to scream her head off. Twist, warp, insult and then when she bites back, do some more. "See, she does that all the time." GO FUCK YOURSELF, SF.
Provide evidence of what I've twisted and warped.
Provide evidence of where I tried to rally others against you.
Provide evidence of me provoking you.

Baseless assertions to justify swearing at me.
You do do this all the time...you're doing it right now....  :rollin:  :rollin:

Jason78

You know how like in here if someone came in and started slinging sexist derogatory comments at another member, the mods would stomp all over them and hit them with the banhammer.

Why isn't there a similar mechanism in halo?  Why aren't their mods or admins stomping down on it?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Plu

QuoteWhy isn't there a similar mechanism in halo? Why aren't their mods or admins stomping down on it?

They are. It's just not economically feasible to get enough mods to really deal with all of the shit.

EDIT

I actually used to work as a community lead for an online game. We had about 100.000 players at our peak. Our moderation team consisted of 40 volunteer moderators, most of whom worked multiple hours per day, and we still had trouble responding to all of our reports.

SilentFutility

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"
QuoteBecause the insults of "You're not able to talk to me like a human being" or repeatedly blaming someone without any ground with something as heavy as 'intellectual dishonesty' are not uncouth as calling someone "stupid immature fuck"? His constant insults are not just baseless also they are far heavier than mine.

I have nothing further to say to you in this thread, SF. I decided the waste of time and energy is not worth it.

Of course you've nothing further to say- you've been asked for proof of all the horseshit you've made up.

Not to mention that I very specifically DID explain why you've been intellectually dishonest. I'll do it again though for what really feels like the millionth time: making up tonnes of shit about what someone did and what they said and then ignoring them and pretending to take the moral high ground when they ask for proof of specifically what they did is intellectually dishonest.

Quote from: "Jason78"Why isn't there a similar mechanism in halo?  Why aren't their mods or admins stomping down on it?
You do what gamers have been doing ever since microphones became common: you spend 2 seconds putting them on mute and carry on with your life instead of spending hours making whiney youtube videos.

If gamers really, really felt than online greifing was a huge issue (which it really isn't, come on, it is name-calling on the internet that you can choose not to be exposed to), they could campaign for games to have multi-strike report systems whereby if someone has many, many reports against them they get an autoban to solve the problem of moderators not having the capacity to deal with all reports. That would be far too productive and wouldn't involve nearly enough attention-seeking, derision and feelings of superiority though.

Shiranu

Quote from: "Jason78"You know how like in here if someone came in and started slinging sexist derogatory comments at another member, the mods would stomp all over them and hit them with the banhammer.

Why isn't there a similar mechanism in halo?  Why aren't their mods or admins stomping down on it?

That's pretty hard w/o a chatlog. It pretty much becomes person X's word vs person Y's.

Edit: Also, if this was the thread Mario was mentioned in: He doesn't hit his head on blocks. Come on now.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur