News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Death Penalty

Started by Dreamer, September 30, 2013, 01:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LikelyToBreak

Plu wrote in part:
QuoteAll because you were seeking to inflict pain on someone rather than trying to prevent it to others. Your petty desire to hurt those that hurt you are now causing you to become the same problem to society that the car shop was before they mended their ways.

Okay, I think I see where you are coming from.  I'm looking at more from a societal motivation rather than an individual motivation.

Back to our chimps.  Grooming chimp doesn't get groomed by ungrooming chimp, so he decides to beat the crap of ungrooming chimp.  The chimp community steps in and stops grooming chimp from further hurting ungrooming chimp.  But, some of the chimps who have groomed ungrooming chimp and don't like him, think those stopping grooming chimp from beating the crap out of ungrooming chimp are wrong.  So, now the chimps have a civil war because grooming chimp got carried away.

Yeah, I can see that.  But, motivation is a hard thing to measure.  Sure we can try to analyze what and how people are talking, but people can be tricky.  So, we have to fall back on what will work for society.  Which in a just society, would be tit-for-tat.  Not to get revenge on those misbehaving, but to alleviate actions detrimental to society.  So, if the death penalty keeps people from committing murder or treason, then it is justified.  If it doesn't, then it is not justified.

Therefore, because the courts and the laws do not hand out justice, we can't allow the death penalty.  Which is kind of what I was getting at with prosecutorial misconduct.  I think Plu is just looking deeper into it than that.  Is that correct?

Mermaid

Quote from: "Satt"I see a lot of comments about the death penalty being bad because it's considered "revenge". My question would be is revenge immoral?
In this case, yes, it is immoral by my own standards.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

Quote from: "surly74"
Quote from: "Satt"I see a lot of comments about the death penalty being bad because it's considered "revenge". My question would be is revenge immoral?

at the state level it is. The state says that it's illegal and wrong to take the life of another person yet they will do it when they see fit.
This fundamental hypocrisy is another reason I do not support capital punishment.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR