Why Republicans should be blamed for the government shutdown

Started by entropy, September 30, 2013, 01:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmpty

It's as simple as passing a clean budget. The Republicans refuse to do that. Case closed.
???  ??

PopeyesPappy

Budget? They aren't even disscussing a budget.  Congress hasn't passed a budget in years.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Jmpty

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"Budget? They aren't even disscussing a budget.  Congress hasn't passed a budget in years.

What would you call it then?
???  ??

PopeyesPappy

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

mykcob4

Quote from: "The Whit"All this complaint about how the GOP is the obstructionist party and how it's hypocritical because they did all this other bad shit when they had the majority.  All I hear is Democrats whining that the republitards aren't sitting by and letting them fuck up our country the way they want even though the Derps apparently sat on their hands while the R-tards did and, "that's not fair".  

I knew the partisan problem in this country was big, but jesus christ guys.  Wake the fuck up.
Oh sure all the elected officials are the same crap. That isn't even close to the truth. The Dems didn't fuck up this nation. They have continually saved it from falling off the cliff. Clinton left a surplus and "W" wasted it. Obama saved us from a recession/depression and the repukes want everyone to file bankruptcy. Every government shutdown has been the fault of the repukes.

IMMadAsHell

This government can't afford to spend money on Job creation, and helping American citizens in need, and providing medical insurance to help pay for the ballooning medical costs because we need the money to go around killing people all over the world.  Therefore they can't balance any budget.
I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. – Susan B. Anthony

Two hands working can accomplish more than a thousand clasped in prayer. – Anonymous

Nonsensei

Quote from: "LikelyToBreak"I remembered something.  We don't have the California government shutting down every other year since we passed a referendum saying that if the legislature and the governor don't agree on a budget on time, they don't get paid until they do.  Too bad we can't have national referendums, then we could pass a bill something like California's and then neither party would drag their feet on passing a budget.

This wouldn't work. Every elected official in the federal government would wipe their tears with crisp ten thousand dollar bills before cashing their next check from what ever special interest groups have bought their votes for the week.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Shiranu

My view on the threatening to shut down the government... quoted from FB...

QuoteImagine if you went to work and refused to work, drank on the job (both parties are known for drinking while in session) and then threatened to shut the entire company down if you didn't get your way. That would end very well for you...

If the congressmen and senators don't want to do their jobs and threaten to shut down their business just because they didn't get their way, there should be a instant, "You're fired" law. Democracy isn't, "WAHHHHHH, I DIDN'T GET WHAT I WANT, SO NO ONE CAN HAVE ANYTHING!".

If you pull this shit, I think you should be insta-fired, regardless of party. That isn't how the gov't is suppose to work... it is infact that exact opposite of working.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

The Whit

Quote from: "entropy"So, specifically, what do you think should happen with the budget that you think wouldn't f*ck up the country?

Cut taxes

A lot.  Eliminating some like the fuckin death tax and inheritance tax among many others.

Stop subsidizing everything but research

I would do this by giving NASA half the DoD budget.

Nationalize the Fed and stop printing money.

Inflation is the last thing we need right now.

Legalize hemp

Besides the fact that it has a multitude of uses, why the hell is this shit illegal in the first place?

Cap hospital markups on care

The reason health insurance costs so much and medical bills are the number one cause of bankruptcy is because it costs $550 to have an ambulance take you two miles across town to the hospital and they charge you $18 that cost them .59

Allow citizens to move their SS into another retirement program of their choice

SS is a broken program and it's payouts will exceed total tax revenue this year.  If we're going to balance the budget, we've got to slaughter this pig.  The details would be more complex than I could go into in a forum and might take some time to hammer out, but it MUST be done.

End the War on Drugs

Do I even....

End the War on Terror

Do I even....

The minimum wage may have to be cut as well, but that depends on how the market balances itself out when you stop throwing everything off with subsidies.
"Death can not be killed." -brq

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Jmpty"It's as simple as passing a clean budget. The Republicans refuse to do that. Case closed.

A small number of about 40 congressional GOP are holding the whole nation as hostage. Why? because they want to repeal Obamacare. Why? Ideology. You can't negotiate with radicals. I hope Obama does not give in an inch, until the GOP completely capitulates. He should veto every single  bill that doesn't come as a clean budget, no riders, no earmarks.

Jason78

It's nice to see that the Democrats aren't negotiating with terrorists that are trying to hold the whole country to ransom.

Never give in to an ultimatum!
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

josephpalazzo

What the Republicans are asking for aren't concessions that the Democrats can even consider, since they would turn the legislative process on its own head, allowing a minority of congressional politicians to rewrite laws as they see fit. What are they going to do next? Shut down the government because they don't like the existence of the EPA, HUD, or Food Stamps? This is lunacy.

Wait until we hit the raisng of the debt limit. If these issues aren't resolved, we will have such an economic downturn that 2008 will look like a walk in the park.

Jason78

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"What are they going to do next? Shut down the government because they don't like the existence of the EPA, HUD, or Food Stamps? This is lunacy.

I imagine some kind of hissy fit, followed by a screaming tantrum accompanied with many toys being thrown out of their pram.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

josephpalazzo

From http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/3 ... 19301.html

11 Reasons Why A Government Shutdown Is Terrible For You

1. HUGE NUMBER OF FURLOUGHS: As many as 800,000 of the country's 2.1 million federal workers could be furloughed as the result of a shutdown.

2. ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ON HOLD: The head of the Environmental Protection Agency says that the regulator would "effectively shut down" without a deal to fund the government. The EPA wouldn't be able to pay its employees and most of its regulatory functions would be put on hold until a deal is reached.

3. DISEASE MONITORING: In the event of a shutdown, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention would have to halt a critical seasonal influenza program that monitors the spread of the flu.

4. NUTRITION SUPPORT SLASHED: The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children, a program to provide healthy food for low-income pregnant women and new moms, would have its federal funding cut in the face of a shutdown.

5. MAKING THE BUDGET DEFICIT WORSE: Despite the Republican party's insistence on fiscal responsibility, a government shutdown would "likely add to the budget deficit," according to Bank of America Merrill Lynch economist Ethan Harris.

6. FOOD SAFETY: Most routine FDA food safety inspections would be suspended in the case of a shutdown.

7. NO BACK PAY: Employees of one U.S. attorney have been warned that there is a "real possibility" they may not receive back pay if the government shuts down.

8. WORKPLACE SAFETY: Most Labor Department investigations into workplace safety and discrimination would cease if a deal is not reached to avert a shutdown.

9. NATIONAL PARKS, MUSEUMS (AND PANDAS!): The country's national parks would be forced to close without a government funding deal, as would Smithsonian Museums, disappointing countless potential visitors. But humans wouldn't be the only victims of a shutdown. The National Zoo would close and turn off its panda cams, which means no more livestreaming of adorable pandas.

10. STOCK MARKET PANIC: The stock market reacted negatively on Monday amidst worries about a shutdown and an upcoming fight to raise the country's debt ceiling. The lack of a resolution could mean more market madness to come.

11. DOJ DISRUPTION: Attorney General Eric Holder on Monday warned that a shutdown would have a "disruptive impact" on operations at the Justice Department. He pointed fingers at the House of Representatives and stated that there are "good, hard-working Americans who are going to suffer because of this dysfunction."

mykcob4

Quote from: "The Whit"
Quote from: "entropy"So, specifically, what do you think should happen with the budget that you think wouldn't f*ck up the country?

Cut taxes

A lot.  Eliminating some like the fuckin death tax and inheritance tax among many others.

Stop subsidizing everything but research

I would do this by giving NASA half the DoD budget.

Nationalize the Fed and stop printing money.

Inflation is the last thing we need right now.

Legalize hemp

Besides the fact that it has a multitude of uses, why the hell is this shit illegal in the first place?

Cap hospital markups on care

The reason health insurance costs so much and medical bills are the number one cause of bankruptcy is because it costs $550 to have an ambulance take you two miles across town to the hospital and they charge you $18 that cost them .59

Allow citizens to move their SS into another retirement program of their choice

SS is a broken program and it's payouts will exceed total tax revenue this year.  If we're going to balance the budget, we've got to slaughter this pig.  The details would be more complex than I could go into in a forum and might take some time to hammer out, but it MUST be done.

End the War on Drugs

Do I even....

End the War on Terror

Do I even....

The minimum wage may have to be cut as well, but that depends on how the market balances itself out when you stop throwing everything off with subsidies.
What? Are you nuts?
SS isn't a broken program. In fact it is the most successful program in history. The only thing "broken" about it is that republicans keep stealing from it to pay for bridges to nowhere, and $1500 toilets bought from corrupt defense contractors. Moving SS into a retirement fund defeats one of the main  purposes. When the market crashes or banks fail people still have a safety net not effected by capital greed and mismanagement.
I am sick and tired of hearing these screw brain ideas of republicans and conservatives attacking the social safety net and them lying and saying that program is broken. It's utter bullshit and a fucking lie!
Next you'll be saying that community college is broken.
For cryin' out loud. Get a grip on reality.
End the war on terror? Really? How would you do that exactly? Just ask all the terrorist to stop what they are doing? That isn't realistic.
Legalize Hemp? For your information "Hemp" IS legal.
The high cost of health insurance is because in 1972 the insurance companies pushed through a deregulation bill. The strongest of it's kind. They can and have operated with impunity and just like large corrupt organized crime syndicates. The cost of health is caused by insurance companies and pharmsudical companies.
As of 2008 there isn't a "Death Tax", it's left up to the states!