Why we can never solve the mystery of the universe

Started by mediumaevum, September 29, 2013, 02:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mediumaevum

Imagine you are in a box. You can see how the walls of the box behaves and look like.

But you will never ever be able to know how it looks from the outside.
Any theory about the box will be based upon your calculations from the inside. The paintings on the outside or even the thickness of the wood - you will never be able to know.

That's the problem with understanding the universe. Because we are part of it, we will never know how it truely behaves and what may be beyond it.

We know how the box would look like from the outside, because we have seen a box before - from the outside. But we have never seen the universe from the "outside", and any idea about it will be based entirely upon our calculations from the inside. Our thoughts are a product of the universe "from the inside" and therefore our thoughts will never be able to fully comprehend how the universe truely behaves. I even doubt wether we would have a single clue about anything that is even near nil to how the universe truely behaves.

Think about it. I think about it everytime I hear a new theory of the universe. Like "Big Bang" or "Four dimensional stars collapsing into a black hole forming our universe" etc.

Plu

There is, by definition, no outside to the universe. It would, again by definition, automatically be included in the universe.

josephpalazzo

Put an ant in a box, and with little brain material, it could learn a good deal of the inside of that box. Granted, the ant can roam around and discover what's inside. However, we can roam around with our eyes with the use of telescopes and learn quite a bit ourselves. Ignorance is like an iceberg - if we keep chipping at it, we'll eventually get to the bottom of things.

Nuff of metaphors.  :wink:

Solitary

Did anyone think we may be on the outside of the pseudo-universe looking in, and the real universe is inside our head with God?  :shock:  :-k  :-$  8-)  :popcorn: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Dreamer

Do people really want to solve it?

I thought it was just about having more intelligible-sounding or cooler or more absurd etc. explanations--not about actually *knowing*
<br /><br />Individually, we are one drop.  Together, we are an ocean.<br /><br />

Hydra009

Quote from: "Dreamer"Do people really want to solve it?
Well, they want to get a better understanding of what it is and how it works, dunno if it can ever be "solved" per se.  There's always more to know.  The expanding universe sees to that.

Dreamer

It's a hydra!  For every one question answered, at least two more are created.

The more you discover, the more you realize you do not know.
<br /><br />Individually, we are one drop.  Together, we are an ocean.<br /><br />

Poison Tree

Quote from: "mediumaevum"Imagine you are in a box.
nobody puts baby in a box [-X
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Jason78

Science is full of people saying stuff like "That can't be done."  or "That can never be known."

And there's nothing that other scientists like to do more than prove them wrong!
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Eric1958

Maybe we'll figure it out, maybe we won't. It doesn't matter that much to me, but I will say that I've been impressed as hell at all thetthings we have been able to figure out.

Plu

Quote from: "Jason78"Science is full of people saying stuff like "That can't be done."  or "That can never be known."

And there's nothing that other scientists like to do more than prove them wrong!

Quote"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

:D

Aupmanyav

"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

AllPurposeAtheist

I'll be taking a greyhound bus to outside.. I'll bring pictures..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

leo

Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

the_antithesis