News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

read and weep

Started by hillbillyatheist, September 29, 2013, 12:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillbillyatheist

like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

SGOS

Republicans seem to be enjoying this "shutting down the country" thing.  It's like they discovered a new toy.  The first time I remember it being done was about 20 years ago.  They actually shut down the government.  I'm guessing it was the Republicans, but it could have been the Democrats.   Everyone working for the Forest Service (a major employer in my town) was sent home.  A couple of weeks later, the government got the money to start running again, and everyone was told to come back to work.  And by the way... They all got paid for the time they weren't at work.  WTF??  Two weeks of lost production paid for by tax payers.  That little gambit sure helped a lot.  :-D

Jason Harvestdancer

It takes two to tango, but only one will get the blame.

If the Republicans were tactically clever they'd pass many small continuing resolutions, one per agency, and let Obama decide to sign or veto as he sees fit.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "hillbillyatheist"http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/09/here-are-the-gops-debt-ceiling-demands-and-they-are-insane/280012/

I hope Obama doesn't try to negotiate like he did last time, which turned into a fiasco - we got a lower rating costing billions in higher interest and a bad sequester that slowed down the recovery. That the GOP are demanding more this time reflects that they still think he will negotiate and they will get their ways - it goes along with their thinking that he is a weak leader. Hope Obama has learned his lesson. No negotiation. Period. Why bother when the GOP is demanding capitulation.

mykcob4

Quote from: "Jason_Harvestdancer"It takes two to tango, but only one will get the blame.

If the Republicans were tactically clever they'd pass many small continuing resolutions, one per agency, and let Obama decide to sign or veto as he sees fit.
Yeah it takes two to tango but this isn't a dance. The republicans have been the most obstructionsit group in history. They don't and won't follow the rule of law. Republican's have spun the messege saying that Dem's have had the majority even though the Dems never had a super majority. The repukes have filibustered everything, not because they don't like what was beening voted on, but because they don't want ANY successes while a Dem has the Whitehouse.
This obstruction to funding the Healthcare Reform Act is circumventing the law. A law that has been deemed by a republican majority Supreme Court as just and constitutional. In essense the republicans are committing treason by defying the constitution. They should all be tried and convicted for treason.
I watched closely the laws passed under the "W" admin. There was Dem opposition, but not obstruction. In the end the Dems all obeyed the constitution and followed rule of law.

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Colanth

Quote from: "SGOS"The first time I remember it being done was about 20 years ago.  They actually shut down the government.  I'm guessing it was the Republicans, but it could have been the Democrats.
You're talking about Newt Gingrich.  Definitely not a Democrat.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Hydra009

Quote from: "the article"Not a dollar amount increase, but suspending the debt limit until the end of December 2014.
So we can go through this again next year?  I don't think so.

LikelyToBreak

The Republican spin is that it is the Democratic Senate and Obama who are not willing to listen to the American people.  The Republicans say they want to help the American people by giving congress time to iron out the faults in Obamacare.  Faults which would not only hurt many people, but do so by causing the economy to come to grinding halt.  They make the point that the Senate is not meeting today to try to come to some compromise.

mykcob4 wrote in part:
QuoteThis obstruction to funding the Healthcare Reform Act is circumventing the law. A law that has been deemed by a republican majority Supreme Court as just and constitutional. In essense the republicans are committing treason by defying the constitution. They should all be tried and convicted for treason.
As usual, mykcob4 is making unreasonable statements.  You cannot, at least yet, throw Representatives in jail for treason for refusing to vote yes on a bill the leader wants passed.  Soon maybe, but not yet.  Unless the leader uses the Patriot Act to disappear the obstructionists, he can't legally require them to vote against their constituents or their own wishes.

My feelings are, that the monied masters of congress have some way of taking a buck or two out of this all of this bullshit.  Or maybe they are just trying to maintain the illusion of a two party system.  Whatever, it is not like either party is there to serve the American people.

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: "mykcob4"Republican's have spun the messege saying that Dem's have had the majority even though the Dems never had a super majority.

They don't now, but they did for a brief moment after an unfunny comedian was installed in the Senate and before Kennedy succumbed to a lifetime of alcoholism.  That's why the Healthcare "reform" bill was passed without a compromise committee, because the House had to pass the Senate's version without any changes.

Quote from: "mykcob4"I watched closely the laws passed under the "W" admin. There was Dem opposition, but not obstruction. In the end the Dems all obeyed the constitution and followed rule of law.

Including the Dems who voted "yes" on the USAPATRIOT Act?  I wouldn't say so.

By the way, voting "no" is still following the rule of law.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!