News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Kansas being Kansas.

Started by NeoLogic26, September 28, 2013, 05:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeoLogic26

So, this is happening. Kansas faith groups suing to block KSBoE science standards.

//http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/09/27/christian-groups-sue-to-stop-kansas-schools-from-adopting-science-standards/

My favorite WTF moment from the article:
QuoteThe suit alleges that the new standards will "promote religious beliefs that are inconsistent with the theistic religious beliefs of plaintiffs, thereby depriving them of the right to be free from government that favors one religious view over another."

#-o  :-k
"For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

josephpalazzo

Of course, teaching children to think for themselves is brainwashing. #-o

Eric1958

I don't understand how anybody could take the old testament seriously.

hrdlr110

Quote from: "Eric1958"I don't understand how anybody could take the old testament seriously.

Yet they must, if they are to believe what they say about "god is unchanging, he is the same yesterday, today, and always." That's how I always pull the Old Testament back into the debate anyhow.
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

Solitary

So they admit they are afraid Science is bad for superstitious religious beliefs.  :roll:  :twisted:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

SGOS

I understand that courts have set a precedent for atheism being a religion.  Is that correct?  While this suit attacks science, not actually atheism, you still can't assume that some slap happy judge in Kansas won't confuse the two.  What a carnival!

Colanth

Quote from: "SGOS"I understand that courts have set a precedent for atheism being a religion.  Is that correct?
No.  A dictum (a comment made by a single justice, that has no weight in law) said that atheism has the same legal standing as a religion.  It's been misinterpreted (by Christians, I believe) to say that the court has ruled that atheism is a religion.  It's wrong on both counts - that it's a court ruling, and that the dictum said that atheism is a religion.  (In Torcaso v. Watkins, 1961, Justice Black's comment [orbiter dictum] called Secular Humanism one of the religions that doesn't teach "what would generally be considered a belief in the existence of God".  That was his personal opinion, it has no weight in law.)

Quoteyou still can't assume that some slap happy judge in Kansas won't confuse the two
Christians have been confused about Black's comment since 1961.  It has nothing to do with teaching science, it has nothing to do with atheism, and the current case has no legal standing - except, maybe, in Kansas.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

LikelyToBreak

I don't know for sure, but it seems this is just another way to bilk people out of money.   :(

Atheon

QuoteThe suit alleges that the new standards will "promote religious beliefs that are inconsistent with the theistic religious beliefs of plaintiffs, thereby depriving them of the right to be free from government that favors one religious view over another."
What "religious beliefs" are they talking about?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

SGOS

Quote from: "Atheon"
I had the same question when I read that sentence.  I assume it refers to the religious beliefs of the plaintiffs, "whoever they are or whatever it is they believe."  And the "religious beliefs of others" refers to anything and everything they don't agree with.

The first assumption that comes to my mind is that their religion revolves around indoctrinating the world around them with their specific beliefs, and suppressing any and all information, knowledge, or even another religious beliefs that present other perspectives.  In other words, they consider themselves discriminated against if laws exist which prevent them from shoving their religion down the throats of others, and teaching it in public schools.  To them, the concept of freedom of religion means total freedom for their sect of Christianity to suppress the freedoms of others, to take the constitution into their own hands, and coopt the government to force their beliefs on others.

"How can I be totally free if I am not allowed to suppress the freedoms of everyone else?  Until I can dictate my will on you, how can my country claim I have freedom?"

Teacher says to middle school boy, "Go to the principal's office," and the boy asks, "Why?"  "For spitting on the girl next to you and pulling her hair," and the boy says, "Well, it's a free country isn't it?"

Colanth

They consider reality a religious belief.  Things like evolution and global warming, for instance.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Colanth"
They consider reality a religious belief.  Things like evolution and global warming, for instance.

Global warming is against God's plan, hence a religion thingy... :roll:

Colanth

If it's against his plan, why doesn't he turn the thermostat down a bit?

josephpalazzo