News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

ACT (Obamacare)

Started by wolf39us, September 27, 2013, 10:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf39us

Okay so let's talk about it!  There's a data sheet that I've found that gives an estimate of what the premiums will be like for those that do not have insurance linked here:

http://aspe.hhs.gov/health/reports/2013 ... t_home.cfm

So my premiums for my state and county (w/ age taken into account) marked me at $180/month which is the lowest plan... and only covers 60% medical expenses w/ a deductible and co-pay for most procedures.  I have the option to opt-in to Employer coverage, but this year did not opt to do so as the cost per paycheck vs my medical expenses (which currently sit at a wonderful $0) is not worth it for me.

My employer insurance would cost about $55/month currently should I opt into it.  But, I'm not sure if ACT Compliance will jack up my employer insurance or not (I presume it will).  At $95 penalty for the first year for those that do NOT get coverage... I'll pay the fee personally.

I realize most of you will probably have Employer coverage... So let's see what people think and would like to do!

Shiranu

Up until 10 days ago I had military coverage, which was about $40/month. Now I have none. But I cant seem to get the vote to work...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

wolf39us

Me neither -- working on it

edit:  Works now!

Poison Tree

my state (Colorado) is not listed there. I have no insurance
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Shiranu

I think it said $120 or something, but the site seemed kinda buggy.

Until they knock on my door telling me to get some, I am going to have to pass on that...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

The Whit

My state is not listed.  No insurance.
"Death can not be killed." -brq

Jmpty

So who's going to pay the bill when those of you without insurance get sick? Or have an accident?
???  ??

LikelyToBreak

I'm on Medicare, but we buy my wife insurance.  It is currently $243 a month.  California is not listed either.  I expect from what I read that my wife's insurance will go up about $100.  Don't know for sure yet.  It is one of the cheaper insurance plans.

Before I got on Medicare, I bought a cheap plan for myself.  I found out from a medical office manager that I was paying an extra $35 a visit by using the insurance then if I just paid cash.  Started paying cash after that and dropped the insurance.  Not being able to afford another plan, I was without insurance.  Funny how I didn't feel guilty about it.  If you can't afford something you just do without.  If a hospital wouldn't treat me because I was without insurance, I guess I would have just died.  Or made them adsorb the costs.  But, if you don't have the money, you don't have the money.

hillbillyatheist

all preventive care is now covered free. everyone should take advantage of that. get your check ups, your shots, etc.

some people may choose not to get insurance because "I never get sick" but you're not invincible. just because you haven't gotten sick yet, doesn't mean you won't get sick in the future.

you should get insurance so that if you get sick or in an accident you're covered. Also by getting yearly check ups, they may catch something early enough to help you.

such as catching high cholesterol BEFORE your heart attack.

I'm covered by medicare and will soon be on either medicaid or an insurance plan too once I see what my options are.
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

Shiranu

Quote from: "Jmpty"So who's going to pay the bill when those of you without insurance get sick? Or have an accident?

Hey, if your volunteering to buy me medical insurance I cant afford, I am all ears.

Tabula Rasa

Mine would be $140/month.

Quote from: "wolf39us"At $95 penalty for the first year for those that do NOT get coverage... I'll pay the fee personally.

wolf39us,from where did you get the information about the $95 penalty?

wolf39us

Quote from: "hillbillyatheist"some people may choose not to get insurance because "I never get sick" but you're not invincible. just because you haven't gotten sick yet, doesn't mean you won't get sick in the future.

you should get insurance so that if you get sick or in an accident you're covered. Also by getting yearly check ups, they may catch something early enough to help you.

such as catching high cholesterol BEFORE your heart attack.

Indeed, I can get sick unknowingly and how unfortunate that would be for me.  Currently I am 350% above the national poverty level which means I'm a typical middle class white boy... = no government hand outs.

Aside from the occasional cold and 1 fever I've never been in need of a doctor.  My only medical problem right now is untreatable (deaf in one ear).  

There's insurance out there for all kinds of things that may or may not happen... Just because they can happen, doesn't mean I need to put $180/month + into medical insurance.

When I go see the dentist, I pull out my wallet and pay for the damn exam... Why, because it's CHEAPER than paying insurance monthly + paying a deductible + paying a co-pay for each visit!

Should I need something done I will pay for it myself.  Yes I'm aware some exams can cost thousands of dollars... But so does paying year after year for medical insurance that only goes up as I age... I'll save the money!

Mermaid

I pay about $400 a month for insurance through my employer that covers my husband and myself. I elected better-than-minimal coverage for the first time in my life because I anticipate medical issues in the next few years--I have shitty joints.
For minima coverage it would have been about $280.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Aroura33

I wish more information was widely available about this.  I know there is a lot of misinformation out there.

From what I understand, you need to be 450% over the poverty line, so Wolfus for instance, you would still qualify for some price reduction.

The more people opt in and participate, the more insurance companies will have to compete for YOUR business, and the more premiums will drop.

The more people the buy they hype that it will ultimately cost more will create a self fulfilling prophecy.

we currently pay almost 5 times more in health costs than other first world countries for the same services, with no better health outcomes.  If you want to help fix that, you need to pay into this.  If it costs more initially, the prices have a high potential to drop rapidly.  It's not fixed, it becomes a competitive market, which is good for everyone on the BUYING end.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Aroura33

QuoteI realize most of you will probably have Employer coverage... So let's see what people think and would like to do!

I just wanted to point out that this assumption was massively incorrect, and is incorrect nationwide as well.  That is why we need ACT. Most people who are employed do NOT get any health benefits through that job.  Less than half of employed people get insurance through their employers.  

//http://www.gallup.com/poll/152621/Fewer-Americans-Employer-Based-Health-Insurance.aspx

I think over 17% of non-elderly Americans are now completely uninsured? And that number, I know for sure, has steadily risen since the 1980's.  And this does not include underinsured people.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy