Hilllary Clinton for President?

Started by stromboli, September 27, 2013, 01:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

I donated money for the last election, so I get shit from the Democratic party all the time. A lot of it is directed towards getting Hillary first nominated and then elected.

She hasn't decided to run. Frankly I'm not that interested. But I can see the arguments, pro and con.

pro/con: We would in effect be reelecting Bill Clinton, since hubby would no doubt have a say in things, much more so than Michele Obama does. The con is that he has a lot of baggage attached, for all that he was a good president.

pro/con: experience, first as First Lady, then a Senator, then Secretary of State. Well known figure, has worked at the national and international level, seems to be respected by other national governments. Same con: baggage.

I'm a little intrigued by the possibility, but frankly, she never struck me as a charismatic leader, but more of a hard worker. Probably a better choice between the two, but she doesn't bring exactly a sparkling presence to the party. I'm honestly not a big fan, but would probably vote for her if nominated, because anything the Republican Party can bring is tainted by the Tea Party.

I like Elizabeth Warren. She is one gutsy babe, and has had the moxie and intelligence to stand up to the power brokers on Wall Street and in congress. I haven't seen anything she's done I disagree with, and she has very little in the way of baggage, so far as I can tell.

Whatever. Interested in your opinion.

Atheon

i would love a Warren presidency... she seems a true progressive. Hillary is still too establishment. But she would wipe the floor with the Republicans like her husband did.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Shiranu

Hillary is better than anyone I can foresee the Republicans putting up, but yeah she is far too establishment to get my support. The Democratic party has several people who would be far better choices.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

The Whit

It would take a lot to convince me to vote for anyone who identifies as either republican or democrat.
"Death can not be killed." -brq

Shiranu

I only vote Democrat out of necessity; while voting for the people you like is fine and dandy, the majority of Americans simply do not agree with third party candidates enough for them to stand a chance. Therefor I vote for the most likely to win who has the closest ideology to me... which is pretty damn far, but still a good-bit closer than the opposition.

If we had a third party that wasn't hard-core libertarian, hard-core communist, hard-core (insert ideology here) they might actually stand a chance. But we don't, or they are so small they don't even get the limited attention the Libertarian and Freedom or w/e its called parties get.

I think a more central-left party could actually compete with the Ds and Rs, but there isn't one with outreach to establish itself on a national level.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

mykcob4

I'd vote for old ironsides Hillary anytime!

SGOS

Quote from: "Atheon"i would love a Warren presidency... she seems a true progressive. Hillary is still too establishment. But she would wipe the floor with the Republicans like her husband did.
When Hillary ran against Obama, I voted for Obama.  I liked Hillary well enough, but I used the words "a good ole boy" when describing her.  She does seem rather establishment.  Would I vote for her if she ran?  I'm not sure.  She would have to make an argument that convinced me, but as I get older, I tend not to believe much of what career politicians say.

mykcob4

Hillary gets things done. Thats it in a nut shell.

Jason Harvestdancer

The Democrats managed to avoid that mistake in 2008.  Obama saved them from Candidate Hillary.

It seems that the Democrats are never satisfied when they fail to make a mistake.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

SGOS

Quote from: "Jason_Harvestdancer"It seems that the Democrats are never satisfied when they fail to make a mistake.
No, there are Democrats who seem genuinely satisfied when the guy they vote for wins.  At that point, they go from activist mode into cheerleading mode and praise everything their guy does, no matter how bad it is.  Where they can actually see failure, it's the Republican's fault.  I know people like this.  They account for about 25% of the Democratic base.  The Republican Party has it's cheerleaders also, and they make up an even higher percentage of their own base, maybe more like 75%.

hillbillyatheist

Hilary is ruthless from what I know. the whole clinton machine is. They pissed me off during the 2008 campaign. I like Obama because he was willing to reach across the aisle.

But then I saw the results of that. Anything Obama agrees to, the republicans blindly oppose, even bills they created. Obama's a good guy, I think even if if I don't agree with him on everything, but he's too nice and conciliatory. He's not a good politician. unfortunately because of how our system is setup you have to be a good politician to get anything done, no matter how right you are.

So hillary gets my support this time. She's ruthless and crooked enough out outwit the GOP while still being sane and not wanting to gut everything from the post office to free lunches for kids, even if you have to take down the country to get your way.

my ideal would be Warren but if she won, I doubt she'd get anything done given how our system is set up.  She'd push for all these wonderful ultra left goals and every one of them would get cockblocked by the congress. I hope she runs in 2024 though. maybe we'll be progressive enough by then as a nation that she may actually have a chance at getting her stuff through without having to resort to political shenanigans.
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

Solitary

I don't think it makes any difference who gets in, the super rich and powerful control everything in the world, always have and always will because they can.  :evil:  Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Nonsensei

Ask yourself if you would vote for her if she weren't a Clinton. If she were just another career politician.

I won't vote for her just because she is a member of a celebrated political family.
I won't vote for her just so I can see the first female president in office. I already made that kind of mistake once. NEVER again.

She will have to convince me that she is worthy of my vote and honestly it's going to take some things that a Democratic candidate isn't ever going to do.

1) Repeal Obamacare
2) Close Guantanamo Bay forever and pass a law forbidding such prisons from existing
3) Discontinue the Patriot Act
4) Terminate NSA surveillance and order a criminal investigation of the agency for constitutional violations
5) Pass internet freedom laws that put all the power in the hands of the individual users and take it decidedly out of the hands of corporations
6) Pursue congressional term limits. Yes I know it won't happen but the debate should always be on the table and never ever go away.
7) Completely withdraw all military forces from Afghanistan immediately
8) Federal recognition of gay marriage
9) Federal funding for abortion
10) Legalization of drugs. Yeah thats right. All of them. End the war on drugs. Put the right to choose what people put into their bodies back in their hands. Take an enormous chunk of power and funding out of the prison industrial complex
11) Refund NASA with a larger budget than ever and a new stated goal of colonizing the moon and putting astronauts on Mars
12) Pursue the disabling of the filibuster
13) Propose a national plan to repair our crumbling road and bridge infrastructure
14) Pass legislation severely curtailing private lobbying

Those are just the things I can think of off the top of my head. A lot of that stuff was supposed to be done by Obama. I believe that behind all the promises and smiles, Hillary is the same kind of politician as Obama. I can't ever see myself voting for her.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

hillbillyatheist

They're all corrupt to a degree but anybody that thinks the GOP and democrats are the same thing with different names just isn't paying attention. its that simple.

either that or you so so radical that you're like the christian fundies who see atheists and liberal christians and think they are one and the same.
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

Solitary

Money talks and bull shit walks with any name tag!  :shock:  :evil:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.