Wendy Davis Possible Governor Run?

Started by Shiranu, September 26, 2013, 04:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/2 ... 97985.html

Sources close to her say she is planning on running and she has put out a statement saying she has exciting news to put out.

I think she should be able to win Houston/San Antonio/Austin/Dallas-FW pretty easily, but I don't know if she can get enough rural support to win. For those of you who don't remember, she is the one who gave the 13 hour filibusterer against the abortion regulations proposed. Wish I still lived in TX so I could vote for her :.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

mykcob4

Quote from: "Shiranu"http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/26/wendy-davis-texas-governor_n_3997985.html

Sources close to her say she is planning on running and she has put out a statement saying she has exciting news to put out.

I think she should be able to win Houston/San Antonio/Austin/Dallas-FW pretty easily, but I don't know if she can get enough rural support to win. For those of you who don't remember, she is the one who gave the 13 hour filibusterer against the abortion regulations proposed. Wish I still lived in TX so I could vote for her :.
She is my favorite candidate. I met her at a fundraiser in Ft. Worth. That being said the districts in Texas are so gerimandered to favor even the weakest republican candidate, I don't think she will win. It's so sad because we need a governor that isn't corrupt and will stop all this toll road building. I am so tired of paying taxes to have roads built only to have them become toll roads named after bad repulican corrupt officials. I'm sure the next big road project will be paid for with taxpayer money and it will be a vital road AND it will have a toll and be named after Rick Perry the most corrupt governor in Texas history!

billhilly

Man, I hate all the toll roads around DFW.  How are the districts relevant in a statewide race though?

Jason78

Wendy Davis will usher in a thousand year reign of darkness over us all.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Eric1958

Quote from: "billhilly"Man, I hate all the toll roads around DFW.  How are the districts relevant in a statewide race though?
Yeah, I can see how they affect congressional races, but I wouldn't think it would be a factor in a gubernatorial race.

mykcob4

Quote from: "billhilly"Man, I hate all the toll roads around DFW.  How are the districts relevant in a statewide race though?
They gerimandered the state also. If you look at the law, you can win the governorship and not win the majority. It's a county by county count.
Also the repukes in the state are restricting voting registration claiming that illegal aliens have been voting. Even though there has not been one case brought before the courts.
Take Dallas county. The city will go for Davis, but the suburbs will go republican no matter who it is. The county will be won by republicans.

billhilly

The only way I'm aware someone could win the governorship without a majority is in a 3 (or more) way race.  I'm still not getting the gerrymandering the state deal.  In the governor's race, whoever gets the most votes wins right?

I do understand the Dallas vs suburbs deal but there isn't an electoral college where counties or precincts cast votes.  They report votes by precinct but it's total vote count that wins.

mykcob4

Quote from: "billhilly"The only way I'm aware someone could win the governorship without a majority is in a 3 (or more) way race.  I'm still not getting the gerrymandering the state deal.  In the governor's race, whoever gets the most votes wins right?

I do understand the Dallas vs suburbs deal but there isn't an electoral college where counties or precincts cast votes.  They report votes by precinct but it's total vote count that wins.
So goes the county, so goes the county votes. I hope I am wrong about this and I will apologize if I am, but to my understanding the counties are declared for the governor candidate race and whom ever wins the most counties win.
Don't get me wrong I will campaign and do anything for a Wendy Davis win short of a crime(I'm not a republican).

billhilly

I believe you are wrong about that.  They always report election results by county but the governor's race like the US senate race, is statewide popular vote.

mykcob4

Quote from: "billhilly"I believe you are wrong about that.  They always report election results by county but the governor's race like the US senate race, is statewide popular vote.
Okay, I appologize for the error and HEY maybe we'll win and oust those corrupt toll road building criminals!

billhilly

Don't apologize.  It's easy to see why someone would think that the way the news reports elections by counties and all. That would totally freak out the churchy assholes in the Plano/Collin county establishment if she won.

mykcob4

Quote from: "billhilly"Don't apologize.  It's easy to see why someone would think that the way the news reports elections by counties and all. That would totally freak out the churchy assholes in the Plano/Collin county establishment if she won.
Yuuup and wouldn't that be cool!

billhilly

I'd hope so.  I don't know much about her though aside from the abortion thing and as a 47 year old male, that's not on the top of my list of priorities.  But, Abbott's a whacko fundie, Kilgore's a whacko secessionist, and then there's Kinky Friedman so she hasn't go a lot of room to do worse..........

Atheon

Texas is becoming more Hispanic, and given that the Republicans hate Hispanics, and as a result Hispanic voters don't favor Republicans, I can see Texas becoming Democratic very soon.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

frosty

The day when people vote for principle over party, is the day when the U.S. will start to truly recover from it's mess.