News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Pres. Obama - Pros and Cons

Started by Smartmarzipan, September 25, 2013, 02:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmpty

Quote from: "Shiranu"Sorry, I rather complain than just sit on my ass and bitch about how it's not as bad as others so why should I care.

So, your answer is that you complain? That'll work, for sure.
???  ??

Shiranu

Quote from: "Jmpty"
Quote from: "Shiranu"Sorry, I rather complain than just sit on my ass and bitch about how it's not as bad as others so why should I care.

So, your answer is that you complain? That'll work, for sure.

Still better than complaining about people complaining.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Jmpty

If you don't like the way things are, work to change them. Run for office, or work to support someone who shares your views. Volunteer for a campaign, or an issue. Whining is just irritating, and accomplishes nothing. I wasn't complaining, I was calling you and the other whiners out on your bullshit.
???  ??

Shiranu

QuoteI wasn't complaining, I was calling you and the other whiners out on your bullshit.

I wasn't complaining, I was just complaining that people aren't doing things the way I want them to.

:-k

Or like wise; we aren't complaining, we are just calling politicians out on their bullshit.

:rolleyes:

Semantics: It's only complaining if you do it; otherwise I am just "calling people out with no expectation of it doing jack-shit".
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Minimalist

QuoteEvery election is a sort of advance auction sale of stolen goods.
H. L. Mencken

Until one gets the private money out of the American system and ends the shameful practice of politicians having to go, hat in hand, to some rich bastard in order to run, there will be no improvement.  In fact, things are getting worse by the day.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"
Quote from: "Smartmarzipan"It's clear to me that the only person here who gives a rat's ass about the color of the President's skin is josephpalazzo.

I've answered you in this thread: http://atheistforums.com/viewtopic.php? ... &start=135

Yes, on that page you told us that a black person is only 3/5 of a person.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

josephpalazzo

PRO: Obama, Iranian president speak by phone

Quote"The very fact that this was the first communication between an American and Iranian president since 1979 underscores the deep mistrust between our countries," Obama said. "But it also indicates the prospect of moving beyond that difficult history."

CON: Is this a deception from Iran, will they continue to pursue their objective of developping a nuclear bomb?

Poison Tree

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"PRO: Obama, Iranian president speak by phone

Quote"The very fact that this was the first communication between an American and Iranian president since 1979 underscores the deep mistrust between our countries," Obama said. "But it also indicates the prospect of moving beyond that difficult history."

CON: Is this a deception from Iran, will they continue to pursue their objective of developping a nuclear bomb?
It may well be, but apparently the Iranians have said that they want a deal in 6 months, which at least suggests that they are not simply stalling (or else that they are very close to their goal)
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Poison Tree"
Quote from: "josephpalazzo"PRO: Obama, Iranian president speak by phone

It may well be, but apparently the Iranians have said that they want a deal in 6 months, which at least suggests that they are not simply stalling (or else that they are very close to their goal)

Right, what took place is not very clear. We are going to need more than words.

LikelyToBreak

One of the accomplishments of the Nixon administration was opening up to China.  Opening up to Iran may help put Obama in the history books for something other than his skin tone.  It will be rough though, as many Iranians absolutely hate America.  Still, I think it would be better to open up diplomatic relations with Iran, then to arbitrarily bomb them.

Shiranu

Many Iranian *politicians. From what I have seen the average Iranian still likes the United State.

LikelyToBreak

Shiranu wrote:
QuoteMany Iranian *politicians. From what I have seen the average Iranian still likes the United State.
While it is true there are many Iranians who still like the US, there are opponents in Iran who do not want normalized diplomatic relations.  I didn't make this up.  I read it here:
//http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/29/world/middleeast/clashes-as-iranian-president-returns-to-tehran.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimes&_r=1&

Some Iranians remember the coup which put the Shah in power.  The coup was planned and executed by the CIA and the British.  //http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat
I can understand Iranian distrust of the US because of actions like this.

JamesTheUnjust

Obama is more or less, a centrist that wishes to appease the populace, while avoid stepping on anybodies toes for fear of setting off a dirty game of politics he'd rather avoid. It's true that he hasn't done anything much different than Bush in many areas, but this has more to do with the fact that military and corporate interests are running the show, and less to do with Obama or even the Congress.

I could go on about his failures and what not but it'd be pointless; you all know them. The reasons though that he is hated by the right is that he's not rolling over for them on command like Clinton would. The religious right-wingers and Alex Jone types are trying to take over the Republican party -- which they think will win with their policy. The reality of course is that they will never win another election as long as the current idiots are running the show.

The GOP noise machine has completely back fired and now all of the undecided voters are identifying the Republican party with FOXnews conspiracy types, and they want nothing to do with any of it. The right has damaged its reputation and wants to lash out at someone/something instead of taking the responsibility for the backwards views and dealing with it The old timers in the GOP seriously think that with enough time their message will convince enough people so they're really fucked, and the Dems are simply capitalizing on it all in a positive way for themselves.

The GOP is just trying to rail-road it's opponents black, white, or green in an attempt to re-gain power, hence all of the dirty tactics.

Smartmarzipan

Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges