News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A thought for the forum

Started by Crump, September 23, 2013, 05:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bericks999

Quote from: "mycob4"Incidently he wasn't particularly happy that there was an Atheist Forum
Please tell him to kiss my ass!
... I swear, one day religion is going to physically poison me to death.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Crump"
Quote from: "josephpalazzo"Well, I don't think you have any idea of what's involved. Here's one article to open your eyes:

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfa ... in_nc.html

That was interesting and little bit worrying that NC law demands that sort of thing. Happily though the US Constitution, which seems to have been written by folk with more sense, takes precedence, as the columnist points out. I can understand that religious prejudice exists but it isn't just the religious who are guilty of it. 'Live and let live' is a maxim the writers of the Constitution had in mind, and which we should all remember.

You've missed the point. Yes, the federal constitution does give protection, but the people in NC wrote into their own state constitution, that atheists can't run for election, IN SPITE of the federal constitution. How much hate do you need to do such a despicable act? And even with the election of this atheist, they will nevertheless contest it, hoping that election is declared invalid. Do you begin to understand why many atheists on this forum resent your use of the word ''christian'' juxtaposed with the word ''atheist''?

mykcob4

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"
Quote from: "mykcob4"Double think? Really? How about double speak? The fact is that christians by definition HAVE to believe in a god or by definition they are not christians. That is just a fact.
The fact is that quite a large number of self-professed Christians do not believe in a god. That's just a fact.

Quote from: "mykcob4"Why don't you ignore yourself. I haven't seen anything very enlightening from you lately!
Why don't you shut your damn gob until you learn how to string together a point that isn't so malformed it makes YECs cringe.
I don't think I'm obliged to even consider any hairbrain dumbass insulting demand by you child. My points have been well constructed, have merit and credibility. What YOU have on this thread is the defense of a stupid oxymoron that has no merit or validity. So suck it youngster!

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "mykcob4"I don't think I'm obliged to even consider any hairbrain dumbass insulting demand by you child.
Oh yes, calling a grown man a child will definitely get you places in life. How is it that you have not yet swayed the entire crowd with your charismatic ways? :roll:

Quote from: "mykcob4"My points have been well constructed, have merit and credibility.
Your "points" consist of mindless drivel and the insistence that Christians are something other than, well, what they're defined as. You're like that guy a couple months ago who seemed to think science was something other than, well, science.

Quote from: "mykcob4"What YOU have on this thread is the defense of a stupid oxymoron that has no merit or validity.
All I have done is point out that contrary to what you believe, Crump's position not only exists but has been in intellectual discourse for at least 200 years. I fail to see how this is a defense of any sort.

Quote from: "mykcob4"So suck it youngster!
I sincerely doubt you are old enough to be calling me "youngster." Quite the contrary, I'd honestly be surprised if you are older than 15.

Come back when you have an argument.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

mykcob4

Quote from: "mykcob4"I don't think I'm obliged to even consider any hairbrain dumbass insulting demand by you child.
Oh yes, calling a grown man a child will definitely get you places in life. How is it that you have not yet swayed the entire crowd with your charismatic ways? :roll:

Quote from: "mykcob4"My points have been well constructed, have merit and credibility.
Your "points" consist of mindless drivel and the insistence that Christians are something other than, well, what they're defined as. You're like that guy a couple months ago who seemed to think science was something other than, well, science.

Quote from: "mykcob4"What YOU have on this thread is the defense of a stupid oxymoron that has no merit or validity.
All I have done is point out that contrary to what you believe, Crump's position not only exists but has been in intellectual discourse for at least 200 years. I fail to see how this is a defense of any sort.

I sincerely doubt you are old enough to be calling me "youngster." Quite the contrary, I'd honestly be surprised if you are older than 15.

Blah blah blah blah say old shit.

mykcob4

What a bunch of lies. I never thought science was anything other than science. Don't know where the hell you got that lie from....maybe your ass.
This isn't a popularity contest. I am not politicing to "sway" the crowd. The facts are the facts and you and crump are ignoring them. It doesn't matter that maybe over 200 years ago some fools decided that they wer christians and Atheist. Wrong is wrong. Slavery was wrong and it lasted centuries.
I'm 56 but that's beside the point. I came back at you because you decided to be childish an insult me as if you have any right to do so. So if you want to act like a child I shall treat you like a child.

MrsSassyPants

If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU!

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "mykcob4"What a bunch of lies. I never thought science was anything other than science. Don't know where the hell you got that lie from....maybe your ass.
What part of, "you're like that guy" made you think I was talking about you, oh ye of little reading comprehension?

Quote from: "mykcob4"This isn't a popularity contest. I am not politicing to "sway" the crowd. The facts are the facts and you and crump are ignoring them. It doesn't matter that maybe over 200 years ago some fools decided that they wer christians and Atheist. Wrong is wrong. Slavery was wrong and it lasted centuries.
I didn't say it wasn't stupid, I said he technically fits the definition of a Christian. You really must improve your reading comprehension, mate.

Quote from: "mykcob4"I'm 56 but that's beside the point. I came back at you because you decided to be childish an insult me as if you have any right to do so. So if you want to act like a child I shall treat you like a child.
Of course I will treat you with all the civility I feel you deserve. The problem is that you're being an asshole to quite a few people who are, in fact, on your side in this discussion. You're a smart guy, I'm sure, so I'll let you put the pieces together from there.

Call me childish all you like, but I'm not the one who jumped down someone's throat for posting the dictionary definition of a Christian.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

PickelledEggs

Holy 18 pages, Batman. If this isn't derailed I don't know what is.

[youtube:3s6gywe6]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRwvXJEdUWA[/youtube:3s6gywe6]

mykcob4

Quote from: "mykcob4"What a bunch of lies. I never thought science was anything other than science. Don't know where the hell you got that lie from....maybe your ass.
What part of, "you're like that guy" made you think I was talking about you, oh ye of little reading comprehension?

Quote from: "mykcob4"This isn't a popularity contest. I am not politicing to "sway" the crowd. The facts are the facts and you and crump are ignoring them. It doesn't matter that maybe over 200 years ago some fools decided that they wer christians and Atheist. Wrong is wrong. Slavery was wrong and it lasted centuries.
I didn't say it wasn't stupid, I said he technically fits the definition of a Christian. You really must improve your reading comprehension, mate.

Quote from: "mykcob4"I'm 56 but that's beside the point. I came back at you because you decided to be childish an insult me as if you have any right to do so. So if you want to act like a child I shall treat you like a child.
Of course I will treat you with all the civility I feel you deserve. The problem is that you're being an asshole to quite a few people who are, in fact, on your side in this discussion. You're a smart guy, I'm sure, so I'll let you put the pieces together from there.

Call me childish all you like, but I'm not the one who jumped down someone's throat for posting the dictionary definition of a Christian.
Alright now we are to a point that we can converse. I am appreciative that we could get to this point.
My point is, backed up by the Dean of TCU Theology and an advisory professor at Harvard Divinity College, is that one is not a christian unless they have a fundemental belief in god, the christian god. Jesus' main objective above all things was to save humanity and the only way to do that is to accept god  as your creator lord and master and accept jesus as your savior. So technically, by definition, or any other credible method, one cannot be an Atheist and a christian simotaneously.

Jorjor

Quote from: "Crump"Well I have to say I am enjoying the Atheist Forums. At least folk here have a point of view that they have considered, and that is more than I can say for many of the Christians that I come across on another forum. Being a Christian and an atheist is a difficult balancing act but I have managed it now for some twenty five years. Some of the Christians I meet doubt that I qualify as a Christian at all, and strangely, I've also encountered atheists who question my Christian beliefs, but none who question my atheism.

[hrline:cbzdx2a2][/hrline:cbzdx2a2]
But it seems to me that I am some 'intellect' that is inhabiting this decaying shell, whereas they say that it is just the decaying shell that is really thinking, fooling itself that it is something other than a quirk of nature: a bunch of organic matter that has become somehow sentient. And so, like Clarke's HAL, our consciousness gets turned on and turned off in its time, but unlike HAL, who knew where he had come from, we have no answers to our questions. But the New Atheists, they have the answers - they know the precise solution to the questions that have been troubling mankind since the first human 'woke up' and began to wonder. All we have ever really wanted to know is the answer to two simple questions, 'Where do we come from?' and 'Where do we go to?' The single answer is, of course, 'nowhere'. And if that answer isn't satisfying to you, that's because you don't believe in miracles. Oh yes, life is a miracle by any definition; but you are that miracle and you don't even know it. You want a Great Spirit, a Great Architect, a God Creator to perform the miracle for you, but you have done it yourself while you were asleep, and you will do it once more when you fall asleep again. To understand these truths all you need to have is faith.

:rolleyes: