Should suicide pills be available to everyone?

Started by mediumaevum, September 22, 2013, 05:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mediumaevum

How come religious fanatics are always in the way when it comes to the quesiton of legalizing suicide?

In some countries, believe it or not, suicide is illegal. Even in atheist countries, like North Korea, where your family is punished by eternity in labor camp, if you commit suicide.

But I am also talking about simple matters like euthanasia which is illegal in many countries.

It is my opinion, that suicide pills should be available in supermarkets, or at least in drugstores, without need for prescription.

It is not the responsibility of the government to decide for its subjects wether their life is worth living. I am all for government helping people in need, but if
an individual wants to die, it should be his/her sole decision, and the government should not intervene!

Shiranu

QuoteIt is my opinion, that suicide pills should be available in supermarkets, or at least in drugstores, without need for prescription.

No, no, no, no, no.... no and no.

Because that couldn't be abused AT ALL into opening it and making discrete poison to kill someone other than yourself. Or just slipping it into pills that other people use.

Sorry, but I think medicine other than, "This clears up your nose" or "this makes your throat hurt less" should be left to professionals.

QuoteIt is not the responsibility of the government to decide for its subjects wether their life is worth living.

Yeah, it kinda is. When people want to kill themselves they aren't thinking with a healthy mind. The government has every right to tell you that you have to go through a procedure before being granted death by pill. Now, if you have a terminal illness and are in excruciating pain, yeah I think you should be fast-tracked through that process. But if you have a mental illness and want to kill yourself, generally that is not a permanent state of mind but an over-whelming feeling that comes for a short while and then recedes.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Plu

I pretty much agree with Shiranu. People should have a right to terminate their own life, but we should protect them from doing it on a whim. At the very least, a mental assesment to make sure the person is in their right mind and has thought about the consequences of what they are going to do.

But after that, it should be up to the individual.

Icarus

Why would you need a pill when everyone has easy access to knives?

aitm

:-k

well, maybe we could try it for one month...just one pill per person asking. Could solve lots of problems.... :Hangman:
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mermaid

Quote from: "Plu"I pretty much agree with Shiranu. People should have a right to terminate their own life, but we should protect them from doing it on a whim. At the very least, a mental assesment to make sure the person is in their right mind and has thought about the consequences of what they are going to do.

But after that, it should be up to the individual.
Absolutely agree.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

Quote from: "mediumaevum"It is not the responsibility of the government to decide for its subjects wether their life is worth living. I am all for government helping people in need, but if
an individual wants to die, it should be his/her sole decision, and the government should not intervene!
There is a big difference between intervention and enabling.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

And there is something else to be considered here:
For drugs to be legal for sale in this country (and a lot of others) they have to undergo research and development. The manufacturing company has to prove that all drugs taken internally are both safe and effective. So they have to be developed and tested. That is true for the solutions sold to euthanize animals. My job is to develop drugs and vaccines for use by medical professionals. I would not put my hands on a drug like that, and I would daresay that the vast majority of people working in my field would feel the same.
Killing people for profit. Who the fuck would entertain that kind of thing?

stromboli

Suicide should not be a pill but a process. If someone is having a really bad day, breaking up with a girl friend or something, they could be suicidal in the short term. It would be stupid to give access to suicide pills. Someone who is crippled to the point of uselessness or at the end of their life should be allowed to end it if they choose, but it has to be a rational decision with real causes.

Nonsensei

If people want one they should be allowed to have one.

Most people wont want one.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

LikelyToBreak

I agree with Shiranu on this.  Anyone thinking about suicide should see a professional.  

On the other hand, while they don't have suicide pills at the supermarket, every supermarket has products which can be used to commit suicide.

Then there is the old standby of running the car in the garage with the door closed.  One of my neighbors drives me nuts by starting his truck and then opening the door to his garage.  Sometimes a minute or two later.  Sure, it would take like half an hour for it to cause him to pass out, but come on.  You know he's breathing higher levels of CO even if it is just a few minutes.

Well, if someone really wants to commit suicide, not having a pill available won't make that much difference.  More comfortable maybe, but the end result is the same.  Though come to think of it,  a black pill like they used in the movie MASH might have some benefits for society.

AllPurposeAtheist

They already have it. In almost any city in the US and probably the world there is always an underground black market where you can buy almost any drug you want especially heroin which can be injected, swallowed, snorted and smoked.
$100 of good dope will knock off anyone who doesn't already have a $50 a day habit.. it's NOT hard to find.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "Mermaid"Killing people for profit. Who the fuck would entertain that kind of thing?

The government.  Mercenaries. Cigarette manufacturers.   :lol:

GrinningYMIR

I agree with having someone who is in permanent or extreme pain to be given the pill.

Let's say there was a chemical explosion and the victim suffered third degree chemical burns across most of their torso, arms, face and lower legs.

That guy is in indescribable pain, and you don't recover from horrible burns. I believe this man should be offered the pill because that pain will always be there, causing him misery beyond comprehension.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

the_antithesis

The fucking fuck is with this guy?

Will his next thread be about how father-daughter incest is OK?