News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Welcome to the AMPLITUHEDRON

Started by josephpalazzo, September 20, 2013, 09:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

Most likely you are going to hear about this term for the next 10 years. So get yourself "edumecate".

Here's the article: A Jewel at the Heart of Quantum Physics

Here's the paper spearheaded by Nima Arkani-Hamed. In case you don't know, Arkani-Hamed is THE Einstein of this generation:Scattering Amplitudes and the Positive Grassmannian

And a video by Nima on The Amplituhedron.

Jason78

That's kind of what I always imagined it should be like.  

I never thought it would boil down to be something so simple and elegant though.  It takes your breath away.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Plu

My brain is still cooking from all that. But it sounds fascinating.

josephpalazzo

Here's another video by Nima Arkani Hamed on his concept that space-time is an emergent property.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdkjn-YdlBU

Mister Agenda

You're gonna asplode my brain if you keep posting stuff like this.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

stromboli

Oh, great. I was just getting my mind wrapped around the idea of the universe as a hologram and now this shit. Thought up by a couple of guys that would get killed in a bar fight.  :roll:

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "stromboli"Oh, great. I was just getting my mind wrapped around the idea of the universe as a hologram and now this shit. Thought up by a couple of guys that would get killed in a bar fight.  :roll:

You should know by now that the Holographic Principle didn't get us very far. In fact, with the Firewall Paradox, it might be in great danger as no one can resolve that paradox.  OTOH, Arkani-Ahmed is fiddling with ideas that were around with Dirac and Fermi in the 1930's. How much will come out of the amplituhedron is anyone guess at this moment. But considering that Feynman's diagrams (FD)were a breakthrough in QFT, and this is another way, much simpler way to do the same calculations as the FD's, we can expect some major developments in the next few years.

Solitary

Quote"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler", Albert Einstein

Thank you JosephPalazzo for the info!  The particle theory for about 30 years has been that the Standard Model has a huge "hierarchy" or "naturalness" problem, the solution to which is supposed to appear at the LHC via SUSY or some other new BSM physics. With no SUSY or other BSM physics appearing at the LHC, this conventional wisdom is now moving towards claims that fundamental physics has been shown by the LHC to be "unnatural", with parameters that are environmental, artifacts of our position in the multiverse generated by the anthropic landscape of string theory.  

Nima Arkani-Hamed, illustrates these ideas in action by explaining why theoretical physicists knew the Higgs boson had to exist long before it was discovered at the Large Hadron Collider in July 2012. While the discovery of the Higgs is a triumph for both experimental and theoretical physics, its existence opens up a set of profound conceptual paradoxes, whose resolution is likely to involve radical new ideas. We live in exciting times in physics because of Nima. It's kind of strange that he didn't use, like Einstein, experiments, and yet experiments have shown he is correct. He is the New Einstein in my opinion.  8-)  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Solitary

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"More on Arkani-Ahmed on present theoretical research:

http://streamer.perimeterinstitute.ca/F ... iewer.html

:-D Thanks again josephpalazzo! Solitary

josephpalazzo

Solitary

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"Anything for the cause,  8-)

I'm doing my best for the cause by educating a Christian friend of mind who is sincerely asking physics questions even if the answers are disturbing to him because it clashes with his beliefs from religion he was taught about how the world works. He recently lost his wife to Lupus and watched her die in unbearable pain begging him to let her die. He signed the papers to quit her treatments even though it is against his religion. He asked me what it would take to believe in God. I told him if God brought his wife back and took away his leukemia. I asked him what it would take not to believe in God---he never answered me back.  :roll: I will never understand the hold religion has on people. It's like they go through life with blinders on. Solitary

Atheon

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"And a video by Nima on The Amplituhedron.
A total mindfuck!

I love how he keeps saying "obviously" regarding these totally arcane and esoteric concepts.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

stromboli

Any relation to Tippi Hedron?  :-D

Solitary

As far as I know this is a true story:
QuoteAlbert Einstein was just about finished his work on the theory of special relativity, when he decided to take a break and go on vacation to Mexico. So he hopped on a plane and headed to Acapulco. Each day, late in the afternoon, sporting dark sunglasses, he walked in the white Mexican sand and breathed in the fresh Pacific sea air. On the last day, he paused during his stroll to sit down on a bench and watch the Sun set.

When the large orange ball was just disappearing, a last beam of light seemed to radiate toward him. The event brought him back to thinking about his physics work. "What symbol should I use for the speed of light?" he asked himself. The problem was that nearly every Greek letter had been taken for some other purpose. Just then, a beautiful Mexican woman passed by.

Albert Einstein just had to say something to her. Almost out of desperation, he asked as he lowered his dark sunglasses, "Do you not zink zat zee speed of light is zery fast?" The woman smiled at Einstein (which, by the way, made his heart sink) and replied, "Si."
 And know you know the rest of the story.
Solitary