News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

NASA Bed Rest Study

Started by wolf39us, September 19, 2013, 08:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf39us

QuoteNASA is looking for volunteers willing to lie in bed for 70 days and they'll pay you $18,000 to take part in the sleep study.

The purpose of the study is to research the effects of long-term spaceflight on the human body when you're strapped in for weeks.

As part of its Flight Analog Research Unit (FARU), NASA maintains a dedicated bed-rest study facility at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston. The facility is equipped with beds that can be adjusted into positions that reproduce the effects of different gravity levels on the human body.

During the 70 days, participants can read books, play on the computer, watch TV, even work, but you have to stay on that bed lying down.

To apply, go to https://bedreststudy.jsc.nasa.gov/apply.aspx

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/ba ... _stud.html

If I had a job to come back to after those 70 days... I'd be all in!

DunkleSeele

$7,700/month to be a human guinea pig? Too little.

Jason78

$18,000 for 70 days work?

I wouldn't get out of bed for that!
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Mermaid

Hm. What about toilet functions?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

AllPurposeAtheist

After 70 days you'll likely have significant loss of muscle from just laying there and losing that much muscle is painful on the joints. It takes quite a bit of exercise and nutrition to build that strength back and there's a big risk of falls while rebuilding that muscle mass.
Is the pain worth 18k?
I could use the 18 g's, but I've lost 70 lbs of muscle before. I still hurt from it five years later.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mermaid

My joints hurt like a bitch normally, so no way.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "Mermaid"My joints hurt like a bitch normally, so no way.
Use a bowl. Joints are so wasteful. :lol:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Plu

I don't think I'd be able to survive laying in bed for 70 days. It's hard enough to stay in bed for 8 hours.

Also... you're not allowed to have sex.

_Xenu_

Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "Plu"I don't think I'd be able to survive laying in bed for 70 days. It's hard enough to stay in bed for 8 hours.

Also... you're not allowed to have sex.

Nope. I'm out.

Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

Icarus

They forgot to mention the weeks you'll have to spend after the experiment building your muscle mass back up to normal. And the terribly painful cramps you will suffer from while lying in bed for that long.