Being Religious Linked With Depression

Started by stromboli, September 19, 2013, 12:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-raj- ... 28675.html

QuotePreviously studies appeared to show that religious and spiritual beliefs may be protective for depression, and were associated with better well-being. It was a widely held view amongst psychiatrists (who are not, as a group, particularly religious) that religion and spirituality protected your mood from the vicissitudes of life's misfortunes.

But now, a very large study, which followed up people for a year, has found there is an opposite relationship between religious belief and depression. Religion, and even more, spirituality not tied to formal religion, appears to be unhelpful in terms of protecting you from low mood, and could even be linked with more depression.

A key finding of the study, conducted in several different counties, is that a spiritual life view predisposed to major depression, especially significantly in the UK, where spiritual participants were nearly three times more likely to experience an episode of depression than the secular group.

The results are startling because previous research found formally religious people had good mental health habits and lifestyle, for example, previous studies established they were less likely to have ever used drugs or to have been hazardous drinkers.

Entitled 'Spiritual and religious beliefs as risk factors for the onset of major depression: an international cohort study', the relationship with religious and spiritual belief was investigated in depth by researchers led by Professor Michael King from University College London. Over 8,000 people visiting general practices across seven countries were followed up at six and 12 months. The general practices were in the UK, Spain, Slovenia, Estonia, the Netherlands, Portugal and Chile. These general practices covered urban and rural populations with considerable socio-economic variation.

The study has just been published in one of the most respected academic psychiatric journals, 'Psychological Medicine'. It was conducted by researchers at several UK and European universities and Chile.

The study defined religion as meaning the practice of a faith, eg going to a temple, mosque, church or synagogue. Being 'spiritual' was defined as not formally following a religion, but having spiritual beliefs or experiences. For example, believing that there is some power or force other than yourself, which might in?uence life.

People who held a religious or spiritual understanding of life had a higher incidence of depression than those with a secular life view. However, this ?nding varied by country; in particular, people in the UK who had a spiritual understanding of life were the most vulnerable to the onset of major depression.

Regardless of country, the stronger the spiritual or religious belief at the start of the study, the higher the risk of onset of depression.

Although the main ?nding of an association between religious life understanding and onset of depression varied by country, there was no evidence that spirituality may protect people, and only weak evidence that a religious life view was possibly protective in two countries (Slovenia and the Netherlands).

The incidence of depression over the subsequent 12 months was similar across the di?erent religious denominations (Catholic 9.8%, Protestant 10.9%, other religions 11.5%, no speci?c religion 10.8%).

Those with the more strongly held religious or spiritual convictions were twice as likely to experience major depression in the subsequent 12 months.

Although a religious, spiritual or secular outlook on life seems to be relatively stable in most people, slightly over a quarter of participants in this study changed their life view during the period of the study. And this was with a higher risk of depression for those changing to a more religious path, a lower risk for those moving in a secular direction.

Those in the process of developing a common mental disorder, like depression, may become involved in a 'search for meaning' for relief from symptoms, and this is one possible reason why previous research may have found a link between a religious or spiritual attitude, and poorer mental health.

That this study followed participants over a year, meant it was possible to demonstrate that it was more likely a spiritual and religious outlook which was leading to future lower mood, than the other way around.

Previous research had found that religion may have a protective e?ect during and after the impact of life events but this study did not ?nd evidence of this.

The authors conclude that holding a religious or spiritual life perspective, in contrast to a secular outlook, predisposes to the onset of major depression. These beliefs and practice do not act as a bu?er to adverse life events as had previously been thought.

But the authors acknowledge the wide variety of contrasting findings from other researchers in the field, make it difficult to come to a definitive conclusion as yet. The most that can be said with any certainty, they contend, is that if there is a link between religion/spirituality and psychological well-being, it is most probably weak.

After all, if religious belief has a powerful positive e?ect on mental health, they argue it should be detected in most studies.

The dramatic rise in New Age movements and other non-traditional faiths, perhaps the embracing of alternative belief systems as embodied by complimentary health care in the West, might re?ect a growing search for meaning, as more traditional religious practice has declined sharply.

A previous study by a team led by psychiatrists Michael King and Paul Bebbington, published in the 'British Journal of Psychiatry', found spiritual people were more likely than those who were neither religious nor spiritual, to have used or to have been dependent on drugs, suffered from generalised anxiety disorder, any phobia or any neurotic disorder.

Professor Michael King sums up all the research to date by concluding maximum psychiatric vulnerability seems to stem from spirituality not tied to religion.

Some may examine this study and argue its results suggest that while many might still be looking for answers far and wide, ironically, it could be those less religious and spiritual, who might already have found them.

I think any of us who have been involved with religion and left would agree . I suffered depression both as a Mormon and a Christian and am now far more upbeat and happy than I was back then. I think also that living in a more secular society that juxtaposes a religious lifestyle against a secular one, exposes the hypocrisy of religion. In a society where your only choice is a religious one, there is nothing to compare to.

Secular lifestyles by comparison expose the cloistered and judgmental nature of religious lifestyles. That is what happened in my case. I'm quite sure that many here can relate to that.

Solitary

When one lives in a fantasy world the real world will make a shambles of it and there is nothing to fall back on but yourself and your freedom and responsibility for yourself that can be terrifying to one not used to it with God looking out for them and then letting them down in time of need which will always happen sooner or later. It's part of growing up for everyone. One has to be an adult and tough in life not as a small child that doesn't know how to take care of themselves without a security blanket. Religion is a crutch for people that don't realize they don't need it to live now instead of a life after death. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Agramon

Calvinism's belief in the total depravity of man isn't exactly conducive to high self-esteem.  :)
"And, tricked by our own early dream
And need of solace, we grew self-deceived,
Our making soon our maker did we deem,
And what we had imagined we believed."
- Thomas Hardy

AllPurposeAtheist

I've dealt with major depression nearly my whole life without religion.
I take both sides with a grain of salt if that. I don't trust shrinks either so they play kabooki and say what they want..meaningless drivel either way..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

You know, I've always been a bit suspicious of the claims and/or studies that said religion helped during depression.  It sounds like one of those things that's more like a widely held assumption repeated over and over until it becomes "common knowledge".  Religion certainly did nothing for me, and I'm much happier without it.  My father fought depression, and kept getting deeper and deeper into religion, and just stayed depressed.  So the "common knowledge" was never reflected in any of my limited observations.

But I guess religious people think it gives them an edge.  Maybe it makes them feel good to think they're better off than someone else.  Or maybe after the emotional investment in religion, they have to convince themselves there's an immediate payoff.

stromboli

In my case, religion was part of the depression. I was involved with burying my brother, a High Priest and staunch Mormon, while dealing with hypocritical behavior from former neighbors in a Mormon ward I ended up moving out of. The Hoffman murders not too many years earlier and other factors contributed. Leaving Mormonism was supposed to bring me peace. Found the same hypocrisy and bullshit as a Christian. You might say I got a double dose, so I definitely agree with the article.

Eric1958

I've been chronicly depressed for about 40 years now and been an agnostic, now atheist, for almost as long. A friend, who had a serious problem with post partem depression after her first child, told me that taking jesus as her personal savior really turned it around for her. Of course she has tried to help me to reach the same state of grace.

It is an interesting suggestion. For the sake of argument, let us postulate that I could rid myself of this lifelong scourge if I would only believe in and accept jesus. It seems like a worthwhile idea. Back when I was 24, I had a great year. The depression abated and I was eating well (I lost 100 pounds in this year), I exercised and, for the first time in my life, I focused on school and got straight A's. After about 3 semesters though, the depression came back and though I tried to stay focused on exercise and my studies, but after a few months I was back to my old self. But how could I believe in something that I just don't see the evidence for? That seems like a hurdle too high to straddle.

mykcob4

Quote from: "stromboli"http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-raj-persaud/religion-depression_b_3928675.html

QuotePreviously studies appeared to show that religious and spiritual beliefs may be protective for depression, and were associated with better well-being. It was a widely held view amongst psychiatrists (who are not, as a group, particularly religious) that religion and spirituality protected your mood from the vicissitudes of life's misfortunes.

But now, a very large study, which followed up people for a year, has found there is an opposite relationship between religious belief and depression. Religion, and even more, spirituality not tied to formal religion, appears to be unhelpful in terms of protecting you from low mood, and could even be linked with more depression.

A key finding of the study, conducted in several different counties, is that a spiritual life view predisposed to major depression, especially significantly in the UK, where spiritual participants were nearly three times more likely to experience an episode of depression than the secular group.

The results are startling because previous research found formally religious people had good mental health habits and lifestyle, for example, previous studies established they were less likely to have ever used drugs or to have been hazardous drinkers.

Entitled 'Spiritual and religious beliefs as risk factors for the onset of major depression: an international cohort study', the relationship with religious and spiritual belief was investigated in depth by researchers led by Professor Michael King from University College London. Over 8,000 people visiting general practices across seven countries were followed up at six and 12 months. The general practices were in the UK, Spain, Slovenia, Estonia, the Netherlands, Portugal and Chile. These general practices covered urban and rural populations with considerable socio-economic variation.

The study has just been published in one of the most respected academic psychiatric journals, 'Psychological Medicine'. It was conducted by researchers at several UK and European universities and Chile.

The study defined religion as meaning the practice of a faith, eg going to a temple, mosque, church or synagogue. Being 'spiritual' was defined as not formally following a religion, but having spiritual beliefs or experiences. For example, believing that there is some power or force other than yourself, which might in?uence life.

People who held a religious or spiritual understanding of life had a higher incidence of depression than those with a secular life view. However, this ?nding varied by country; in particular, people in the UK who had a spiritual understanding of life were the most vulnerable to the onset of major depression.

Regardless of country, the stronger the spiritual or religious belief at the start of the study, the higher the risk of onset of depression.

Although the main ?nding of an association between religious life understanding and onset of depression varied by country, there was no evidence that spirituality may protect people, and only weak evidence that a religious life view was possibly protective in two countries (Slovenia and the Netherlands).

The incidence of depression over the subsequent 12 months was similar across the di?erent religious denominations (Catholic 9.8%, Protestant 10.9%, other religions 11.5%, no speci?c religion 10.8%).

Those with the more strongly held religious or spiritual convictions were twice as likely to experience major depression in the subsequent 12 months.

Although a religious, spiritual or secular outlook on life seems to be relatively stable in most people, slightly over a quarter of participants in this study changed their life view during the period of the study. And this was with a higher risk of depression for those changing to a more religious path, a lower risk for those moving in a secular direction.

Those in the process of developing a common mental disorder, like depression, may become involved in a 'search for meaning' for relief from symptoms, and this is one possible reason why previous research may have found a link between a religious or spiritual attitude, and poorer mental health.

That this study followed participants over a year, meant it was possible to demonstrate that it was more likely a spiritual and religious outlook which was leading to future lower mood, than the other way around.

Previous research had found that religion may have a protective e?ect during and after the impact of life events but this study did not ?nd evidence of this.

The authors conclude that holding a religious or spiritual life perspective, in contrast to a secular outlook, predisposes to the onset of major depression. These beliefs and practice do not act as a bu?er to adverse life events as had previously been thought.

But the authors acknowledge the wide variety of contrasting findings from other researchers in the field, make it difficult to come to a definitive conclusion as yet. The most that can be said with any certainty, they contend, is that if there is a link between religion/spirituality and psychological well-being, it is most probably weak.

After all, if religious belief has a powerful positive e?ect on mental health, they argue it should be detected in most studies.

The dramatic rise in New Age movements and other non-traditional faiths, perhaps the embracing of alternative belief systems as embodied by complimentary health care in the West, might re?ect a growing search for meaning, as more traditional religious practice has declined sharply.

A previous study by a team led by psychiatrists Michael King and Paul Bebbington, published in the 'British Journal of Psychiatry', found spiritual people were more likely than those who were neither religious nor spiritual, to have used or to have been dependent on drugs, suffered from generalised anxiety disorder, any phobia or any neurotic disorder.

Professor Michael King sums up all the research to date by concluding maximum psychiatric vulnerability seems to stem from spirituality not tied to religion.

Some may examine this study and argue its results suggest that while many might still be looking for answers far and wide, ironically, it could be those less religious and spiritual, who might already have found them.

I think any of us who have been involved with religion and left would agree . I suffered depression both as a Mormon and a Christian and am now far more upbeat and happy than I was back then. I think also that living in a more secular society that juxtaposes a religious lifestyle against a secular one, exposes the hypocrisy of religion. In a society where your only choice is a religious one, there is nothing to compare to.

Secular lifestyles by comparison expose the cloistered and judgmental nature of religious lifestyles. That is what happened in my case. I'm quite sure that many here can relate to that.
Makes sense. Religious people depress me every day!

AllPurposeAtheist

Stromboli..you only have 8000 posts.. no wonder you're depressed! You need to pray it away man! :shock:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

hrdlr110

Quote from: "Eric1958"But how could I believe in something that I just don't see the evidence for? That seems like a hurdle too high to straddle.

As a former hurdler, I assure you, they are not meant to be straddled.......however, it did  happen to me once - an entire row across lanes 1 - 8 was placed on the women's hurdle mark, only about 12inches difference, But everybody crashed to some degree.

I'm with you on belief. You can't just decide that you're going to believe and presto - belief happens. First, you must have a short in the circuitry, then to be taken advantage of by a friend, family member, or total stranger for seeds of belief to flourish. Daily prayer further nourishes the belief seedlings until your tree of belief sprouts. Surrounding yourself with like-minded people at this stage is crucial, as wild animals (atheists) love the supple young plant, and will heartily feast on the tender leaves. Once your tree reaches full growth, your thick bark, deep sturdy roots, and branches in the clouds mentality make you nearly impervious to alternate views. So, be sure to plant your tree in a location with a good view, because that's about all you'll have going for you!
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts