"I'm not religious, I just have faith in Jesus."

Started by Valigarmander, September 18, 2013, 01:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: "LikelyToBreak"My first thought was, "I'm not religious, I just like Christmas."
Good one!   :-D

ApostateLois

These are the people who will tell you that Christianity is the biggest religion in the world, but then say that Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship with God.  :roll:
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

MrsSassyPants

I agree. They definetly need to be sprayed w a can of raid and avoided at all costs.
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU!

MrsSassyPants

My neighbors are the "we have relationship" type.  And we are the lucky pawns that get nominated to help the whole stupid church handle moving shit from A to B.  We have a truck and trailor, that is used for OUR WORK.  And we are NOT in the business of MOVING people or their shit.  I am going to let one more "move" go before I tell em that our truck is not for hire, or volunteer work.  Just have to find a polite way to say it. Any suggestions???

The Whit

Quote from: "fingerscrossed2013"My neighbors are the "we have relationship" type.  And we are the lucky pawns that get nominated to help the whole stupid church handle moving shit from A to B.  We have a truck and trailor, that is used for OUR WORK.  And we are NOT in the business of MOVING people or their shit.  I am going to let one more "move" go before I tell em that our truck is not for hire, or volunteer work.  Just have to find a polite way to say it. Any suggestions???
"Ask Jesus for a trailer."
"Death can not be killed." -brq

MrsSassyPants

I should use that one honestly.  God damnit they piss me off.

Eric1958

What came into my mind was the thought that of all the 1001 variations of Christianity there are out there, you'd think even the pickiest person could find one that felt right. But no, they have to come up with option 1002.

ApostateLois

Exactly my thought! There are thousands and thousands of denominations, but you always hear of some wacko preacher breaking off from one of them and forming yet another denomination with only a slight variation of doctrine, and you know that there are probably at least 50 or 60 other already-existing denominations with the same doctrines, that they could simply join up with. It's not so much a matter of doctrine or biblical interpretation, as it is a matter of popularity and recognition. If a minister decides to separate from his church and form his own congregation, a bunch of people will follow him because they like the guy, not because his teachings are so different than any other minister's. These people don't want to associate with other churches, they want their OWN church with their OWN name, so that everyone will recognize them as different.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Tabula Rasa

This is their way of trying to preserve what was foiled long ago. No matter how you try to reinterpret things, the Emperor has NO clothes.

Jorjor

Yeah, these people get on my nerves. Harmless yes, annoying, also a yes.

MrsSassyPants

I think they and theyre religion are quite harmful.

Savior2006

Quote from: "ApostateLois"These are the people who will tell you that Christianity is the biggest religion in the world, but then say that Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship with God.  :roll:

Which is idiotic. Do they honestly think that in religions like Islam, the Muslim doesn't think he has a personal relationship with Allah.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Agramon

"Religion" is viewed by a lot of Evangelicals as "being wrapped up in dogma and rituals, rather than your faith." I have heard many sermons where pastors will separate the terms (religion from relationship) and refer to religion as "Pharisaical" and that one should focus more on their "relationship with Jesus."

These are the same Evangelicals that regularly participate in rituals (baptism, communion) and fight to the death over certain pieces of dogma (Calvinism/Arminianism, pre-trib/post-trib or simply eschatology in general).
"And, tricked by our own early dream
And need of solace, we grew self-deceived,
Our making soon our maker did we deem,
And what we had imagined we believed."
- Thomas Hardy

viocjit

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren""I'm not an atheist, I just don't believe in any gods."

I like it. This oxymoron made me laugh.

Quote from: "ApostateLois"These are the people who will tell you that Christianity is the biggest religion in the world, but then say that Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship with God.  :roll:

:rollin:

Bigot Burner

Quote from: "mykcob4"Those people that claim that they are not religious and just have a personal relationship with jesus are.....DANGEROUS. In otherwords they are beyond mentally disturbed.
They say that they are not religious because they fear what people think of churches and religious organizations, but they don't want to be outcast in society, so they opt for a noncommittal position.
"Hi, I'm not with the stupid people but I rode on the same bus" kind of thing!
These are the same people that voted for Sarah Palin, watch Desperate Housewives of Beverly Hills, and secretly hate Gays, Minorities, Atheist, and anything that doesn't conform to the religious zealotry that they claim that they are not a part of.
It's like 1939 Germany. Most Germans became avid NAZIs, but after the war they claimed that they were never NAZIs and were held captive by Hitler.
It's the biggets lie in history and the "I'm not religious but I have a relationship with jesus", is the same exact lie.
These people that say that, are nutcase evangelical lying screwballs, that would turn on you in an instant. They have NO integrity, NO honor, and NO moral compass. They cannot be trusted and you can't talk to them and expect any kind of an honest answer.
My advice, get the RAID can out and spray them if they come near. They are best avoided!
Overreacting, much?

A decent amount of the people who say this kind of stuff simply want nothing to do with religions' bullshit boring ritualism (which is understandable), yet like saying that they believe in Jesus or whatever "just in case" (which is less understandable). There isn't much to it, really. Oh, and what the others said about weirdos making a difference between "religion" and "intimate relationship with the zombie hippie communist". That's also quite valid.
"Messianic fuckheads are a superstitious, cowardly lot, and I must strike fear into their hearts"

- Spider Jerusalem (a.k.a. Hunter S. Thompson in the future) paraphrasing Batman.