News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A Little Payback For Boehner

Started by stromboli, October 04, 2013, 09:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colanth

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"I think the country is sick and tired of politicians acting like children, why so many people don't even bother to vote. I think a little less drama and fact-based policies would do all of us a great deal to restore our trust in the system.
Which is not what they're interested in.  The more people stay away from the polls, the better it is for the Republicans, so they'll keep on keeping on.  As long as they get elected, and paid, and free medical care, they don't care what happens to the country or the people living in it.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Colanth"
Quote from: "josephpalazzo"I think the country is sick and tired of politicians acting like children, why so many people don't even bother to vote. I think a little less drama and fact-based policies would do all of us a great deal to restore our trust in the system.
Which is not what they're interested in.  The more people stay away from the polls, the better it is for the Republicans, so they'll keep on keeping on.  As long as they get elected, and paid, and free medical care, they don't care what happens to the country or the people living in it.
And indeed, it is part of the GOP strategy, and that is infuriating when people equate the Republican party with the Democratic party, when they are not the same. Granted the Dems have committed their share of errors, but that does not equate, not in size and in gravity, those committed by the GOP.

Plu

This is probably the most pathetic thing I've seen in a long time. If this is what politics in the US looks like and you think this is a good thing, you totally deserve the government you have right now.

Atheon

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"And indeed, it is part of the GOP strategy, and that is infuriating when people equate the Republican party with the Democratic party, when they are not the same. Granted the Dems have committed their share of errors, but that does not equate, not in size and in gravity, those committed by the GOP.
It's one of my peeves when people say the Republicans and Democrats are the same. Sure they may have some common ground, but in most issues they're poles apart. And though the Dems may not be paragons of truth or virtue, their evils pale in comparison to the sheer depravity and insane vileness that pervades the Republican Party. The Republicans are nothing short of scum, and anyone who sides with them are complicit in the decline of the US.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

LikelyToBreak

Atheon wrote:
QuoteIt's one of my peeves when people say the Republicans and Democrats are the same. Sure they may have some common ground, but in most issues they're poles apart. And though the Dems may not be paragons of truth or virtue, their evils pale in comparison to the sheer depravity and insane vileness that pervades the Republican Party. The Republicans are nothing short of scum, and anyone who sides with them are complicit in the decline of the US.
Except for the first sentence, I have heard Republicans say the same thing about the Democrats.  Frankly all of name calling and mudslinging gets old.  So does the idol worship, which seems to be worse in the Democrat party than in the Republican party.  

Just to be clear, I'm one of those people Atheon is describing in his first sentence.  :twisted:

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Atheon"
Quote from: "josephpalazzo"And indeed, it is part of the GOP strategy, and that is infuriating when people equate the Republican party with the Democratic party, when they are not the same. Granted the Dems have committed their share of errors, but that does not equate, not in size and in gravity, those committed by the GOP.
It's one of my peeves when people say the Republicans and Democrats are the same. Sure they may have some common ground, but in most issues they're poles apart. And though the Dems may not be paragons of truth or virtue, their evils pale in comparison to the sheer depravity and insane vileness that pervades the Republican Party. The Republicans are nothing short of scum, and anyone who sides with them are complicit in the decline of the US.

There are people who can't distinguish between apples and oranges - the'll insist they are both fruits - even though a 2 year-old can tell the difference.

FrankDK

> The ad should have focused on facts not on emotions. That's what's wrong with this fucking country.

Facts are not very relevant to the average American voter, nor for most "news" sources, especially Fox network.

In 2008, Fox "news" was already referring to the "Obama recession," when he hadn't even taken office yet.  30% of Republicans think Obama was responsible for the federal government's slow response to Hurricane Katrina, and a majority of Republicans think that Obama is either from Kenya or another planet.

If facts were of significance in elections, we wouldn't have the clowns in office that we have now.

Frank

Colanth

The Democrats don't want us to live the good life.  The Republicans don't want us to live.  They're both the same, with a few "minor" differences.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Colanth"
The Democrats don't want us to live the good life.  The Republicans don't want us to live.  They're both the same, with a few "minor" differences.

I wouldn't characterize as such. The Dems were more on the left years ago, but they were pulled to the centre (from Clinton and on), while the GOP has moved further to the right. At the moment, they are pulling the present administration even further to the center-right. Pretty soon, if things continue along this trend, the Dems will end up to the far right, and the GOP will make the Nazis look like pushovers.
 :Hangman:

AllPurposeAtheist

Actually Obama pulled a master stroke of politics. He was far more liberal and the right swept the house. His presidency was challenged, etc. He realized that by moving right he could capture a large chunk of lost ground and demographics for Democrats. He took a step right and the right wing took 4 to the right. Obama took a few more steps and of course we got the freak show that was the 2012 republican primary race and has isolated many in the rube party as loose cannon crazys.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mermaid

Quote from: "Plu"This is probably the most pathetic thing I've seen in a long time. If this is what politics in the US looks like and you think this is a good thing, you totally deserve the government you have right now.
It really is quite embarrassing to think that people in other countries see this shit.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

entropy

What concerns me a lot is how the basically non-partisan main stream media (not Fox News or MSNBC) seems to have settled on the notion that there is no such thing as false equivalency. If we say something negative about one political party we must express that the other party does the same thing, too. The problem is that such an approach just encourages greater extremism. I think at least some of the drift of the Republican party into ideological purity can be attributable to this false equivalency that the media seems to be imposing on itself.

AllPurposeAtheist

They used to shoot each other in congress. Yeah, this is silly and it wouldn't bother me much if someone shot the flea baggers..... Well you get it. :-k
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.