Had to go to a mosque as part of an article

Started by Savior2006, September 13, 2013, 05:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savior2006

One that I was writing. I wasn't forced. I threw the story idea to my managing editor and she was like "derp! why not! herp derp!"

Going in there, I was worried. I didn't know what to expect, because I've never been to a mosque before.

The people are nice. They wondered if I had any questions about Islam, and one of the women actually asked me a question about Greek life, which I cleared up. It's interesting. The Muslims in America (or in this mosque rather) really know that they are playing damage control for the fundamentalist jackoffs in the Middle East. Probably because they are.

The women and men are segregated during the religious lectures, which I cared little for (it's not like they are going to start fucking in the middle of the lecture, and if they are, you are either very terrible at lectures or very erotic at them). And the cute Arabic chick (one of two) said that she wasn't allowed to shake my hand because of Islam. Whatever people.

The shoeless environment I didn't care about. The deep floor-bow I didn't care about either. But the guy giving the lecture (apparently the equivalent of a priest, with all the negative connotations) said something that made me swear to never take Islam as a religion. It was something to the effect of "Allah didn't make us because he was lonely, or because he wanted company. He made us so that we could worship him."

I shook my head a little bit at that. I'd shaken my head a few times throughout the event, but that was one of them. Nobody noticed me. I think. I was the black kid sitting on a chair when everyone else was sitting on an AWFULLY fucking clean carpet. It was so good I wanted to do a few floor-bows myself to smell the shit.

At the end, one of the Muslim dudes, who apparently goes to my campus, asked if I could send him a draft before sending the final copy to editor. Once again, damage control. The guy said he wanted to make sure that nothing was misinterpreted. I made it clear that I could absolutely not do that, due to legal reasons. I forget what they are, but I made it very clear that I was not going to break them.

All in all, the experience was interesting, but not something I intend to do ever again, if I can help it.

Now...onto the malt liquor..... :Hangman:
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Colanth

Quote from: "Savior2006"But the guy giving the lecture (apparently the equivalent of a priest, with all the negative connotations) said something that made me swear to never take Islam as a religion. It was something to the effect of "Allah didn't make us because he was lonely, or because he wanted company. He made us so that we could worship him."
Well of course.  Mighty Allah (and mighty God and mighty Yahweh and all the rest) needs puny humans to worship him to give him a sense of self-worth.

Just another example of morons anthropomorphising their god.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

josephpalazzo

You can categorize Islam with a single word: submission. You are required to submit completely to the will of Allah. And if he asks you to fly planes into a building, then you have no choice but to obey. Islam in the wrong hands can be a very powerful and dangerous tool.

StupidWiz

You should come back more often, I'm sure you'll hear many "lovely" things from the Ustadz/Imam. (The guy giving the lectures) :-D
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

Savior2006

Quote from: "StupidWiz"You should come back more often, I'm sure you'll hear many "lovely" things from the Ustadz/Imam. (The guy giving the lectures) :-D

That one quote was really all I needed to know that I'll never go back if I can help it. If I have to cover any more Muslim Student Association events then, yes I'll go back. But I will absolutely not go back just for the fuck of it.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Solitary

Religion is only fit for cows and sheep or those with the same mentality. :shock:   :twisted:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

The Skeletal Atheist

There's an Islamic community center within walking distance of me. The women all wear the scarf, and most of the men wear a robe and cap. They seem to keep to themselves for the most part. Any time I've had contact with them (usually behind them in line at the store or something like that) they've been polite.

One time at Walmart I overheard one Muslim man talking about getting marshmallows with his wife, it made me chuckle because some gelatin comes from pork bones...I didn't have the heart to tell him because it seemed like he was quite happy with the idea of getting marshmallows.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!