News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

No Sounds In Space---Right?

Started by Solitary, September 13, 2013, 03:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Colanth

Vibrating plasma isn't sound.  The science writer used the word "sound" colloquially, not scientifically.  (As far as frequency goes, it's irrelevant.  A radio signal at 3KHz isn't sound either.)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Solitary

Quote from: "Colanth"Vibrating plasma isn't sound.  The science writer used the word "sound" colloquially, not scientifically.  (As far as frequency goes, it's irrelevant.  A radio signal at 3KHz isn't sound either.)

Modern Science Dictionary     (2) the energy that produces the stimulus of hearing. You are the one that is using the definition colloquially.  The mechanical vibrations that can be interpreted as sound are able to travel through all forms of matter: gases, liquids, solids, and plasmas. The matter that supports the sound is called the medium. Sound cannot travel through a vacuum, but space is not a vacuum! Solitary

Colanth

Quote from: "Solitary"
Quote from: "Colanth"Vibrating plasma isn't sound.  The science writer used the word "sound" colloquially, not scientifically.  (As far as frequency goes, it's irrelevant.  A radio signal at 3KHz isn't sound either.)

Modern Science Dictionary     (2) the energy that produces the stimulus of hearing.
Vibrating plasma wouldn't produce hearing, it would probably produce shrieking - very loud and for a very short time.

QuoteSound cannot travel through a vacuum, but space is not a vacuum! Solitary
Nor can one hear in space (or breathe or be alive).  If sound requires hearing, and your definition says it does, there's no sound in space.

Solitary

My definition says that energy not the hearing is sound. What?  It does not require hearing. When you play a very good stereo outfit with tweeters that go out to 30-40 thousand frequency and your dog can hear it and you can't, do you honestly think they don't make a sound just because you can't hear them? So shrieking isn't a sound now?  :roll:   Solitary

Colanth

Quote from: "Solitary"My definition says that energy not the hearing is sound.
Energy that produces the stimulus of hearing.  Vibrating plasma doesn't produce any stimulus of hearing.

QuoteWhen you play a very good stereo outfit with tweeters that go out to 30-40 thousand frequency and your dog can hear it and you can't, do you honestly think they don't make a sound just because you can't hear them?
Actually you do.  The difference between the sound of a flute and the sound of a violin is in the higher harmonics that a good speaker reproduces, so you can tell if the speaker is reproducing them.

Which has nothing to do with "hearing" plasma vibrating in space.  Not all energy is sound.  Electronic energy at a low enough frequency that it's within the range of human hearing isn't sound.  I can produce a 2 KHz carrier wave, but you can't hear anything.

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Solitary

Quote from: "Colanth"
Energy that produces the stimulus of hearing.  Vibrating plasma doesn't produce any stimulus of hearing.

QuoteWhen you play a very good stereo outfit with tweeters that go out to 30-40 thousand frequency and your dog can hear it and you can't, do you honestly think they don't make a sound just because you can't hear them?
Actually you do.  The difference between the sound of a flute and the sound of a violin is in the higher harmonics that a good speaker reproduces, so you can tell if the speaker is reproducing them.

Which has nothing to do with "hearing" plasma vibrating in space.  Not all energy is sound.  Electronic energy at a low enough frequency that it's within the range of human hearing isn't sound.  I can produce a 2 KHz carrier wave, but you can't hear anything.

That is amazing you can hear 40 thousand frequency? It doesn't say all energy is sound it says sound is energy.  So low frequency sound is not sound just because you can't hear it and only feel it. You are still confusing the scientific definition of sound with hearing a sound. Solitary

Solitary

Quote from: "Jason78"[ Image ]

Watch until you hear it and understand! http://youtu.be/LIAZWb9_si4   :roll:   :P Solitary

Colanth

Quote from: "Colanth"

That is amazing you can hear 40 thousand frequency?
I didn't say that.  But you CAN hear the difference between a sine wave and a square wave, and the only difference is in the harmonics.  Don't reproduce them and both sound the same - because a square wave with no harmonics IS a sine wave.

QuoteIt doesn't say all energy is sound it says sound is energy.
Which has nothing to do with your claim that because vibrating plasma is energy it's sound.

QuoteSo low frequency sound is not sound just because you can't hear it and only feel it.
Hey, it's YOUR definition.  If it doesn't say what you want to prove you shouldn't have used it.

QuoteYou are still confusing the scientific definition of sound with hearing a sound.
WHICH one of us posted a definition of sound that included "hearing"?

Solitary

Which has nothing to do with your claim that because vibrating plasma is energy it's sound. Modern Science Dictionary (2) the energy that produces the stimulus of hearing. What part of energy that produces sound don't you understand? The definition is obviously about sound not hearing.

QuoteNor can one hear in space (or breathe or be alive). If sound requires hearing, and your definition says it does, there's no sound in space.
Show me anywhere in my post that says it requires hearing!

"So low frequency sound is not sound just because you can't hear it and only feel it."  Hey, it's YOUR definition.  If it doesn't say what you want to prove you shouldn't have used it.
QuoteModern Science Dictionary (2) the energy that produces the stimulus of hearing.
Are you so dense you can't tell that means sound is energy and doesn't require hearing to be a sound, only that it could be? How do you think you "HEAR" the sound in the video if sound isn't the energy required to hear it? Is this an atheist forum or funda"mental"ist forum?  :roll:  Solitary
You are still confusing the scientific definition of sound with hearing a sound.WHICH one of us posted a definition of sound that included "hearing"? Just because it's including hearing doesn't mean you have to hear it to be a sound.  :rolleyes:  

Do you have to work at being a jerk or does it come natural. This started off with a video you started to debate with. I gave you a definition right out of a modern science dictionary and you and another idiot here either didn't read it or understand it and put the blame on me because you don't understand there is more than one definition of sound and it can be in a plasma as quoted. Read and understand the entire post so you don't come across as numb skulls. Solitary

Solitary

This is for the pedantic jerks that have to find fault with what people that actually contribute more than snide remarks at the forum to understand the scientific meaning of sound and show it can travel through space even if there are sources that say it can't.

From the Webster's new universal unabridged Dictionary:
Definition SOUND (2) mechanical vibration transmitted through an elastic medium.

Sounds of 'Alien Birds' in Space Recorded by NASA Spacecraft

A NASA spacecraft has made the clearest record yet of choruses of noise in the Earth's magnetosphere.
The chirps and whoops were captured by one of NASA's two recently launched Radiation Belt Storm Probes spacecraft, whose mission is to understand more about space weather.

"My wife calls it 'alien birds,'" joked experiment principal investigator Craig Kletzin astronomer.

Enjoy! [youtube:37mmuope]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4en4Ye3UMg[/youtube:37mmuope]  Solitary

Colanth

Which has nothing to do with your claim that because vibrating plasma is energy it's sound. Modern Science Dictionary (2) the energy that produces the stimulus of hearing. What part of energy that produces sound don't you understand?
Evidently the part of YOUR definition that says that sound is something that produces hearing.  Or maybe it's you who doesn't understand that.  And that nothing produces hearing in space.

QuoteNor can one hear in space (or breathe or be alive). If sound requires hearing, and your definition says it does, there's no sound in space.
Show me anywhere in my post that says it requires hearing!
The part that says "produces the stimulus of hearing".  Notice the last word?

Quote"So low frequency sound is not sound just because you can't hear it and only feel it."  Hey, it's YOUR definition.  If it doesn't say what you want to prove you shouldn't have used it.
QuoteModern Science Dictionary (2) the energy that produces the stimulus of hearing.
Are you so dense you can't tell that means sound is energy and doesn't require hearing to be a sound
Then why does it say that it's energy that produces the stimulus of hearing, and it doesn't just say that it's energy?  Why did they add the "hearing" part if sound doesn't mean "something that produces the stimulus of hearing"?

QuoteHow do you think you "HEAR" the sound in the video if sound isn't the energy required to hear it?
You do HEAR it.  In space you don't hear anything.

QuoteYou are still confusing the scientific definition of sound with hearing
No, your definition says that in order to be a sound it has to produce the stimulus of hearing.  Are you missing that part of the definition YOU posted?

QuoteJust because it's including hearing doesn't mean you have to hear it to be a sound.
No, that's just what YOUR definition requires.  If you want sound to be something that doesn't require hearing, post a definition that doesn't require it.

QuoteThis started off with a video you started to debate with. I gave you a definition right out of a modern science dictionary
One that disproves your claim.  Next time, try understanding what you're posting.

Colanth

Quote from: "Solitary"A NASA spacecraft has made the clearest record yet of choruses of noise in the Earth's magnetosphere.
The chirps and whoops were captured by one of NASA's two recently launched Radiation Belt Storm Probes spacecraft, whose mission is to understand more about space weather.
Yes, but it wasn't sound "chirps and whoops", it was magnetic changes that were artificially equated to sounds.  I've done that myself.  Feeding the energy produced by a magnet moving through a coil into an amplifier doesn't mean that the energy produced in the coil is sound.

Learn a little physics.