News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

NASA says it's official

Started by PopeyesPappy, September 12, 2013, 11:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

The Voyager I spacecraft has left our solar system and entered interstellar space. This was in the news last year, but the loss of an instrument in 1980 kept them from being sure. Now they have been able to confirm it using other on board instruments. The probe is now 17 light hours from Earth. That's about three times the distance to Pluto.

http://www.npr.org/2013/09/12/221732909 ... llar-space
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Jason78

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"The Voyager I spacecraft has left our solar system and entered interstellar space.

Again?

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

PopeyesPappy

Lol yea I know. But this time its official.

PopeyesPappy

Huh. It seems it hasn't left the solar system after all. It has entered interstellar space, but won't have left the solar system until sometime after it passes the Ort cloud at least 300 years from now.

Plu

It is still amazing to me that a satellite has been surviving outer space while keeping in constant contact with the earth for over 40 years, but most people have to replace their cellphone every year.

But yeah, this is an amazing piece of work that NASA has delivered here. Really cool.

Johan

Quote from: "Plu"It is still amazing to me that a satellite has been surviving outer space while keeping in constant contact with the earth for over 40 years, but most people have to replace their cellphone every year.

But yeah, this is an amazing piece of work that NASA has delivered here. Really cool.
In my head I can hear every Jewish Mother saying 'a satellite launched 40 years ago made it to edge of the solar system and is still in contact with earth. But getting my own son to call him mother once a week is asking the impossible.' Oye.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

josephpalazzo

I wonder what the aliens will do with that golden record?

a) play frisbee with it
b) eat it
c) melt it and make jewelry
d) actually play it on a record player, and like a Rosetta StoneĀ®, learn our language. What are the odds?

Nonsensei

Quote from: "Plu"It is still amazing to me that a satellite has been surviving outer space while keeping in constant contact with the earth for over 40 years, but most people have to replace their cellphone every year.

Ive always imagined writing a story about how Voyager 1 stops moving shortly after leaving the solar system and the scientists back on Earth start freaking the fuck out.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Nonsensei"Ive always imagined writing a story about how Voyager 1 stops moving shortly after leaving the solar system and the scientists back on Earth start freaking the fuck out.

Yikes! It's time for you to go back and learn high school physics.

:twisted:

Plu

I'm guessing it's more like a story about how Voyager suddenly stopping as if bumping into some kind of wall would raise some interesting questions for science.

Nonsensei

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"
Quote from: "Nonsensei"Ive always imagined writing a story about how Voyager 1 stops moving shortly after leaving the solar system and the scientists back on Earth start freaking the fuck out.

Eh?

Thats the point. It wouldn't stop moving unless something stopped it. Thats why they are freaking out.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Nonsensei"
Quote from: "josephpalazzo"

Eh?

Thats the point. It wouldn't stop moving unless something stopped it. Thats why they are freaking out.

You haven't grasped the real meaning behind all this. It means that the total force - this solar system + all the stars in this galaxy, + all the gazillions of galaxies + Dark Matter + Dark Energy - would have to be equal zero for Voyageur 1 to stop moving. This is tantamount to a miracle, in fact, it would be ironclad proof that God exists!!??!!

On an atheist forum, that is BLASPHEMY. The only saving grace is that you are ignorant in matters of physics, why my suggestion to go back to school. I'm on your side, but you need to upgrade your knowledge.  :P

EDIT: The information on this thread is for information purposes only. The atheistforums.com, its affiliates and content licensors assume no liability for any inaccurate, delayed or incomplete information, nor for any actions taken in reliance thereon. The information contained about each individual and firm has been supplied by such individual or firm without verification by us. Certain links on this site may take you to other websites. The information on this site is for information purposes only. Atheistforums.com provides these links only as a convenience and not as an endorsement by the atheistforums.com. These linked sites are not under the control of Atheistforums.com. If you decide to visit any linked site, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against viruses and other destructive elements. Atheistforums.com is not responsible for the content of any such linked sites or any other web page that is not part of this Atheistforums.com site. Unless otherwise expressly provided, Atheistforums.com makes no representation or warranty regarding, and does not endorse, any linked site or the information, products or services appearing thereon. Accordingly, you agree that Atheistforums.com will not be responsible or liable in any way for the accuracy, relevancy, copyright compliance, legality, or decency of material contained in any site linked from this Atheistforums.com site.

Plu

That's why it would be a story... as in... fiction... something that isn't real...

josephpalazzo

Even a fictional story that suggests that God exists is BLASPHEMY.

:lol:

Jason78

I think that Philip K Dick beat you to it.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato