Scientists are causing Creationism (and the like)!

Started by mediumaevum, September 12, 2013, 10:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billhilly

Why the hell would anyone go about trying to "prove" that ghosts, life after death, gods, and unicorns don't exist?  Aren't there some fairly large monetary rewards out there for the first person who can prove they do exist?  

I know I'd buy a unicorn.  How cool would that be!

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "mediumaevum"
Quote from: "josephpalazzo"Hard science is better than anecdotes.

QuoteFinally, the researchers saw cross-frequency coupling — where different electrical waves work together — in the rats' brains after cardiac arrest. They found coupling between low-frequency gamma waves and theta waves, as well as low-gamma waves with alpha waves. When theta waves couple with gamma waves, it represents a conscious control of the brain. Alpha-gamma coupling, on the other hand, is a feature of visual activation or visual awareness, which includes internal visualization (imagination) — Borjigin suggests this particular brain activity could be behind the bright lights some people see during their near-death experience.

Taken together, the evidence suggests that the brain is capable of well-organized electrical activity — specifically conscious processing — immediately following cardiac arrest, despite the fact that the brain experiences a sharp decrease in oxygen, and was previously thought to be non-functional during this time. These neurophysiological changes may very well be the cause of the near-death experiences people often report.

Then I guess it should be no problem making statistical analysis by the experiments of the hidden stuff I was talking about.

These patients report seing their own body from above. Have some small stuff hidden away so that you can only see it from above, and ask them if they found something while supposedly being "dead", and if they don't report of anything, the study is complete, and then we can say Science has proved there is nothing paranormal.

You saw that on a TV documentary ( according to what you said in your OP). That is not a valid source. If you are interested in that subject then go to those people who are doing the hard science.

mediumaevum

Quote from: "Smartmarzipan"Then leave and take your crackpot theories and your pity party elsewhere. Oh, boo hoo, a bunch of people didn't agree with you. I see this crap all the time....instead of just admitting you're pulling this stuff out of your ass (as we all can see), you call us narrow-minded for not jumping on your little bandwagon.

Go away if you want. You won't be missed.

Firstly, it is not a matter of wether or not to agree with me.

Secondly, if ANYONE should EVER wonder why religious zealots gets stronger and stronger in politics... I would gladly put a link to this forum, to this particular thread.

I know more kind atheists in real world than you. And no, it is not your atheism that annoys me. It is not your science. It is not you studies. It is not you education level.

Quite the opposite I admire you for having all these qualities.

But frankly, I don't like being spoken to the way you folks do it in here.

Icarus

Quote from: "billhilly"Why the hell would anyone go about trying to "prove" that ghosts, life after death, gods, and unicorns don't exist?  Aren't there some fairly large monetary rewards out there for the first person who can prove they do exist?  

HUGE rewards, so far none have been claimed.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Plu"Nobody is a representative of this forum. We're all a bunch of oddjobs.

Speak for yourself.

mediumaevum

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"You saw that on a TV documentary ( according to what you said in your OP). That is not a valid source. If you are interested in that subject then go to those people who are doing the hard science.

The TV documentary did NOT conduct the research. It just told that scientists promissed to do the research and report back on their findings in scientific journals.

I've yet to read these scientific journals about these experiments they promissed to do.

Icarus

Quote from: "mediumaevum"Secondly, if ANYONE should EVER wonder why religious zealots gets stronger and stronger in politics... I would gladly put a link to this forum, to this particular thread.

I know more kind atheists in real world than you. And no, it is not your atheism that annoys me. It is not your science. It is not you studies. It is not you education level.

Quite the opposite I admire you for having all these qualities.

But frankly, I don't like being spoken to the way you folks do it in here.

Atheistforums.com is responsible for religious extremism  :lol:  I love it. The logic is impeccable.

Plu

QuoteI've yet to read these scientific journals about these experiments they promissed to do.

I just pointed you to the website of the person who did the research.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"You saw that on a TV documentary ( according to what you said in your OP). That is not a valid source. If you are interested in that subject then go to those people who are doing the hard science.

The TV documentary did NOT conduct the research. It just told that scientists promissed to do the research and report back on their findings in scientific journals.

I've yet to read these scientific journals about these experiments they promissed to do.

Research takes time, money and dedication. But in the meantime you can research it yourself on the internet. Heck a google search on NDE or out of body experiences abound on the net. But be carefully, there is a lot of nonsense also on the net. Your best bet is to go for publication in peer-reviewed articles. If you need to pay a small fee so be it.

mediumaevum

Quote from: "billhilly"Why the hell would anyone go about trying to "prove" that ghosts, life after death, gods, and unicorns don't exist?  Aren't there some fairly large monetary rewards out there for the first person who can prove they do exist?  

I found this using Wikipedia:

http://www.cfiwest.org/calendar/paranormaltest.htm

Well... I must say that for all these particular centers to offer people - around the globe - to prove their paranormal abilities, supposed ghosts etc.
how on Earth can anyone conduct such science? It has to be done at the person in question's homeland, his/her hometown. You can't expect people to want to travel abroad for $50000 with the risk of getting ridiculed.

Do some serious research. Ask people to come and participate, then offer the ones with the real abilities, if proven, the prize.
Do some large study of it with hundreds, maybe thousands of participants.

Everything has to be on fair conditions (travel distance etc.), research is no exception.

mediumaevum

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"

Research takes time, money and dedication. But in the meantime you can research it yourself on the internet. Heck a google search on NDE or out of body experiences abound on the net. But be carefully, there is a lot of nonsense also on the net. Your best bet is to go for publication in peer-reviewed articles. If you need to pay a small fee so be it.

Isn't 5 years of research enough for this little thing? To question patients about stuff they couldn't possibly know of, shouldn't take 5 years.

billhilly

You don't want answers.  You're like a YEC claiming there are no transitional fossils.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"
Quote from: "mediumaevum"The TV documentary did NOT conduct the research. It just told that scientists promissed to do the research and report back on their findings in scientific journals.

Isn't 5 years of research enough for this little thing? To question patients about stuff they couldn't possibly know of, shouldn't take 5 years.

Five years is a drop in the proverbial bucket. It's been more than 50 years physicists are trying to develop a quantum theory of gravity, and we are not even close. You think that understanding NDE should take 5 years?!?

On another note, see: Near-Death Experiences of Hindus. This should give you a glimpse that what people see during NDE is very cultural.

Icarus

Quote from: "mediumaevum"Isn't 5 years of research enough for this little thing? To question patients about stuff they couldn't possibly know of, shouldn't take 5 years.

Get a PhD is Physical Chemistry and spend the rest of your life researching this, the rest of us will continue not to waste our lives.

Plu

QuoteYou can't expect people to want to travel abroad for $50000 with the risk of getting ridiculed.

You can't expect researchers to travel all around the world when they already know what the result of the test is going to be. Also, $50.000 is peanuts. The James Randi foundation offers a million dollars.

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

But, unsurpisingly,

QuoteTo date, no one has passed the preliminary tests.

It's not that researchers don't want to do the research; it's that there's nothing there to research. And again; the research you want has been done, I showed you the researcher, and the results were as to be expected: nobody saw anything.

If you continue to ignore it, we'll only consider you more of a fool. If you'd at least admit that it's been done and there were no unexpected results, at least we'd think you were serious about just wanting to know more, instead of having your mind made up and just whining that reality doesn't agree with your ideas.