Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Evolution for Beginners

Started by Smartmarzipan, September 11, 2013, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colanth

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"
Quote from: "Colanth"
Quote from: "Smartmarzipan"What is Abiogenesis?
Anyone save the link to the youtube video showing how abiogenesis could have occurred?  (It was posted on the forum not too long ago.)  It definitely belongs here.

Page 1
Somehow I missed the link.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Colanth"
Quote from: "josephpalazzo"
Quote from: "Colanth"Anyone save the link to the youtube video showing how abiogenesis could have occurred?  (It was posted on the forum not too long ago.)  It definitely belongs here.

Page 1
Somehow I missed the link.

Here's a repeat:

QuoteA good video in The Origin of Cellular Life on Earth from Szostak, the Medicine Nobel Prize winner.

Smartmarzipan

I was going through my favorite Youtube videos and found this video on Abiogensis.

[youtube:nrb1oyht]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6QYDdgP9eg[/youtube:nrb1oyht]
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

pucstudent0915

Hello,
A group of college students are conducting am anonymous survey to see if there is a relationship between age/religion and the views on the origin of life. It would be great if we could get viewpoints from you guys. Thank you so much!

http://kwiksurveys.com/s.asp?sid=ybzootthkee0icg307813

Passion of Christ

Evolution is a process of organic development via natural selection that occurs once you have all necessary condition for life set. You only need to create a universe that has everything you need to set these conditions to begin with then leave the system the system to generate the living forms. All species will have ecological niche and a niche for humanity/intelligent life will have opened up at some stage which our ancestral species went down. This will happen on other planets as well of course so there's no real issue between evolution and God as far as I can tell.

Plu

Depending on your version of god, there are anywhere between 0 and infinite problems. Since no two people seem to have the same god, and all people refuse to define actual properties for their gods, it's kinda meaningless.

I guess it's nice to know that your specific, personal god is one that works alongside evolution, though.

AllPurposeAtheist

So obviously god evolved from a lower life form.. I guess that explains Jesus fish. He evolved into a little metal thing on car trunks.. Cool, huh?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Sonwinks

A question for creationists:
Do you believe in the quantifiable and calculable 'speed of light'?
Then.... How is it possible for us on earth to see the stars.... If the earth is 6000-10000 years old?
It really just boggles my mind how they can be so delusional.....

Hydra009

Quote from: "Sonwinks"A question for creationists:
Do you believe in the quantifiable and calculable 'speed of light'?
Then.... How is it possible for us on earth to see the stars.... If the earth is 6000-10000 years old?
//http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creationist_cosmologies#The_.22starlight_problem.22  Heh.

QuoteIt really just boggles my mind how they can be so delusional.....
With God, all things are possible.  :P

PopeyesPappy

Haven't you heard? The speed of light traveling towards a YEC is instantaneous. Traveling away from a YEC it is equal to C/2.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Passion of Christ

Quote from: "Plu"I guess it's nice to know that your specific, personal god is one that works alongside evolution, though.

It would do more than work alongside evolution it explains why evolution existed and why the final outcome of evolution is what it was. You have intelligent beings capable of rational thought who are then able to have an understanding of God who would be in relationship with them. This would explain why humans have religion and certain kinds of beliefs evolution wouldn't account for. Religion is an energy intensive exercise with no obvious survival advantage but is present in all human cultures throughout the entire length of human (homo sapien) history and pre-history. So God and the transcendent in general is absolutely fundamental to the core of the whole thing. You can get into the specifics of which religion has the most correct perspective of God (which is Christianity naturally) but that's a different debate. Refuting atheism/materialism is a nice little starter.

Passion of Christ

Quote from: "Plu"I guess it's nice to know that your specific, personal god is one that works alongside evolution, though.

It would do more than work alongside evolution it explains why evolution existed and why the final outcome of evolution is what it was. You have intelligent beings capable of rational thought who are then able to have an understanding of God who would be in relationship with them. This would explain why humans have religion and certain kinds of beliefs evolution wouldn't account for. Religion is an energy intensive exercise with no obvious survival advantage but is present in all human cultures throughout the entire length of human (homo sapien) history and pre-history. So God and the transcendent in general is absolutely fundamental to the core of the whole thing. You can get into the specifics of which religion has the most correct perspective of God (which is Christianity naturally) but that's a different debate. Refuting atheism/materialism is a nice little starter, a little tastier of the truth.

Plu

But it doesn't predict where evolution will go, so it's useless conjecture without any kind of scientific power. Anything can be made up to explain current knowledge, but it's only valuable if it can predict currently unknown events. Which your religion cannot.

Gawdzilla Sama

If it hasn't been said already, "The Big Bang is part of the evolutionary theory". Repeat that as needed.

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: "Passion of Christ"Religion is an energy intensive exercise with no obvious survival advantage but is present in all human cultures throughout the entire length of human (homo sapien) history and pre-history. So God and the transcendent in general is absolutely fundamental to the core of the whole thing.
That or, yanno, religion evolved.  But your explanation makes a lot of sense, too.  Religion exists because God exists. (Jesus, obviously, not those heathen gods)  Sounds watertight to me.

QuoteYou can get into the specifics of which religion has the most correct perspective of God (which is Christianity naturally) but that's a different debate.
Naturally.  LOL.