News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Evolution for Beginners

Started by Smartmarzipan, September 11, 2013, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 12, 2020, 05:22:33 PM
We're all mutants, we've been mutating for eons, that's how we became what we are. Mutation is the number one driver of evolution.

Fortunately most mutations are fatal.  Centaurs didn't work out.  Too much horse shit ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Having more than one rib cage may not be ideal.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 13, 2020, 01:31:21 PM
Having more than one rib cage may not be ideal.

You have more ribs than a woman.  You are evil ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I reslly enjoy these computer simulations of molecular biology:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z4KwuUfh0A
God Not Found

Baruch

Even better, some simulations let you feel the force of complicated bonds.  That is how enzymes work.  Think Fantastic Voyage, with a computer, at a scale even smaller.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Dreamer

I will never understand Christians who refuse to believe science... Uh, hellllloooo? Is your idea of God so small and limited that God could not have designed evolution, gravity, the food chain? 

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

<br /><br />Individually, we are one drop.  Together, we are an ocean.<br /><br />

Unbeliever

Yeah, Christians refuse to believe science, while using the products of science every day.
God Not Found

Dreamer

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 15, 2020, 06:15:21 PM
Yeah, Christians refuse to believe science, while using the products of science every day.
Some Christians.

Okay.

MOST.  But not all by any means

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

<br /><br />Individually, we are one drop.  Together, we are an ocean.<br /><br />

Baruch

All successful people are closet atheists, even if they go to Church etc ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I believe that the vast majority of people are atheists, they just won't admit it to themselves (or anyone else) because they believe in belief. And, of course, they don't want to be ostracized from their communities.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 15, 2020, 08:40:14 PM
I believe that the vast majority of people are atheists, they just won't admit it to themselves (or anyone else) because they believe in belief. And, of course, they don't want to be ostracized from their communities.

Most people are agents of Putin, not just Trump ;-)  That is some good weed ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I've just finished reading Irving Stone's book, The Origin. It was a very good read, I feel almost as though I actually know Mr. Darwin. The thing that surprised me the most, I guess, is that he was very ill for much of his life, apparently due to his anxiety over the theological implications of his theory of natural selection. Either that, or he was just a hypochondriac!

And then this morning I came across a copy of On The Origin of Species, so I'll be reading that soon. I've never read the whole thing, I'm looking forward to it, now, having read the Irving Stone bio of him.

I've got a Jack Reacher novel to finish first, though.
God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 15, 2020, 08:40:14 PM
Most people don't care any more about religion than they do about the environment, their government, their kids, or anything else. All that dead weight creates inertia.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 08, 2020, 07:42:04 AM
Most people don't care any more about religion than they do about the environment, their government, their kids, or anything else. All that dead weight creates inertia.

Status quo rules, most times.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found