News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Evolution for Beginners

Started by Smartmarzipan, September 11, 2013, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 02, 2017, 12:07:15 PM

The first time I ever saw this graphic was on this forum several years ago. I seem to remember, perhaps incorrectly,  that the member that posted it was the person that created it, but I can't remember who it was. Does anyone else remember that and know who it was?

In the meantime kudos to whoever it was for creating a great graphic that's now all over the interwebs!

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on February 02, 2017, 01:04:12 PM
Exactly.

Also, I've never seen any sort of case presented as to why evolution is okay on the micro scale, but not on the macro.  Creationists need to offer a mechanism for why evolution stops at the micro level, or some sort of semi-logical argument as to why it shouldn't work at larger time frames.

"It just doesn't" isn't good enough, without explaining why it doesn't.

Microevolution is OK to Creationists because it doesn't seem important.  A crab can slightly change its shell shape in the 6,000 years of Earthly existence and they don't care.  Who cares about those Samuri crabs, after all?

But when you talk about macro, one ape becoming a human, THAT threatens them.  That takes too long.  And, of course, Adam and Eve.
But when you talk about
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on February 11, 2017, 02:18:18 AM
Microevolution is OK to Creationists because it doesn't seem important.  A crab can slightly change its shell shape in the 6,000 years of Earthly existence and they don't care.  Who cares about those Samuri crabs, after all?

But when you talk about macro, one ape becoming a human, THAT threatens them.  That takes too long.  And, of course, Adam and Eve.
And yet no creationist "theory" ever puts forth a mechanism for why evolution doesn't work at the macro level, beyond "it just doesn't".  Granted, it's no surprise that they don't understand how science works.

As far as I'm concerned, it is perfectly legitimate to reject IDiocy out of hand until they can rectify that glaring hole.  Of course they never will, because that glaring hole is exactly what they hang their creationism on: "it just doesn't, therefore..."
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on February 13, 2017, 10:43:22 AMAnd yet no creationist "theory" ever puts forth a mechanism for why evolution doesn't work at the macro level, beyond "it just doesn't".
Which is funny, because a lot of these same people think that modern species came from a bunch of "kinds" created just a few thousand years ago.  What they're proposing is evolution on steroids.  And then they turn around and say that regular evolution couldn't possibly work because evolution can't generate large changes, a lie so obviously false that not even the people saying it actually believe it.

The real truth of the matter is they want their reality ice cream with the God cherry on top and whatever they have to believe to maintain that belief is what they're going to go with.  Evolution threatens their narrative, so they need it to not be so.  They have the unenviable task of trying to make modern science work with bronze age mythology, and the end result is inevitably a massive disservice to both.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 13, 2017, 11:05:43 AM
Which is funny, because a lot of these same people think that modern species came from a bunch of "kinds" created just a few thousand years ago.  What they're proposing is evolution on steroids.  And then they turn around and say that regular evolution couldn't possibly work because evolution can't generate large changes, a lie so obviously false that not even the people saying it actually believe it.

Pretty much, yeah.  The reason they present to refute macro-evolution is to implicitly assume macro-evolution on a scale even faster than the one they already reject as being not long enough to bring about major changes that can't happen anyway.

I don't suppose there's any fossil evidence for their "kinds".  Or, it being only a few thousand years ago, any bones -- which can't be carbon dated because they reject carbon dating as evidence.  Maybe a creationist "archaeologist" could find Noah's Ark?

Oh, wait.  Genesis didn't say anything about kinds, it said animals, described more or less as the modern ones with which we are familiar, all the way back to chapter 1.  So the theory of kinds isn't in accord with their own text.

Yup.  Accepting the theory of "kinds" means rejecting biblical literality.

Color me amused but not surprised.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

"kind" = [Old English gecynd nature; compare Old English cyn kin, Gothic kuni race, Old High German kikunt, Latin gens] ... so similar to species

But ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baraminology

This is a translation problem, turned into a tempest in a teapot.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Creationism is basically the idea that species do not change and therefore, all species were created by a deity at the same time and individually, yet with all the  similarities. The deity must have been lacking in creative thought.

Our similarities in DNA suggest our common origin, and the differences go so smoothly along the timescale that the progression seems obvious.  I often feel sorry for those who have to deny that in order to keep their theistic views consistent.

AllPurposeAtheist

Donald Trump is a prime example of the failure to prove evolution. He's still pond scum. Checkmate evolutionists..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on February 17, 2017, 09:13:40 AM
Donald Trump is a prime example of the failure to prove evolution. He's still pond scum. Checkmate evolutionists..

Pond scum at least converts carbon dioxide to oxygen ... and you do what?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 17, 2017, 01:07:37 PM
Pond scum at least converts carbon dioxide to oxygen ... and you do what?

We animals provide some of the carbon dioxide... 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 19, 2017, 04:47:05 AM
We animals provide some of the carbon dioxide...

If you were a ruminant, you could also provide methane and cow tipping.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 19, 2017, 06:35:23 AM

Last I checked, I was not a ruminant.  Though I DO try to chew my food carefully.  Its the cud I try to avoid...

hrdlr110

did some mining, just to blow some minds. Nostalgic.
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on February 19, 2017, 06:35:23 AM

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on February 17, 2017, 08:53:14 AM
Creationism is basically the idea that species do not change and therefore, all species were created by a deity at the same time and individually, yet with all the  similarities. The deity must have been lacking in creative thought.

Our similarities in DNA suggest our common origin, and the differences go so smoothly along the timescale that the progression seems obvious.  I often feel sorry for those who have to deny that in order to keep their theistic views consistent.
Late reply I know, but we have some very startling similarities.  Not just anatomical similarities, but genetic similarities including endogenous retroviruses and pseudogenes.  Either God makes mistakes and repeats said mistakes for funsies, or species descend from common ancestors.