News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

God Did It For Our Sins

Started by Solitary, August 27, 2013, 12:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlesDarwin

Quote from: "ApostateLois"Disasters are to punish the wicked...except when they happen to Christians.
Exactly. When the christian(s) survive the disaster it's a "miracle". Hypocrisy at it's best.
What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof - Christopher Hitchens

ApostateLois

A bus crashes, and everyone on it dies except for three people. "God was looking after us!" says a survivor, even as the bodies of the people God WASN'T looking after are pulled from the wreckage. Maybe there were six children and a pregnant woman among the dead. Did God hate those kids and that fetus? What did they do to deserve such a death? What about the thousands who die in an earthquake? Disasters do not differentiate between believers and nonbelievers, Christians and non-Christians, children and adults, the good and the evil.

The notion that these terrible things happen as punishment must inevitably lead to the conclusion that God punishes EVERYONE in cruel and bizarre ways, making no distinction between those who love him and those who don't. So if worshiping God, loving him, doing your best to please him, are not enough to assuage his anger and prevent him from lashing out at you on a whim, then why bother doing any of those things? It is a waste of time and energy. It accomplishes nothing. God could still get angry and wipe out your entire family in a tornado, or let your kids get killed in a school shooting, or send a tsunami to destroy your whole village, all because you interpreted some Bible passages the wrong way and ended up not being a "true" Christian.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Mermaid

I have always wanted to go to the Creation museum. I drive through OH a lot, and this would be a shortish detour. One of these days.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Colanth

Quote from: "Mermaid"I have always wanted to go to the Creation museum. I drive through OH a lot, and this would be a shortish detour. One of these days.
Be sure you take some kind of calmative before you go in.  You could laugh hard enough to hurt yourself otherwise.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Mermaid

Quote from: "Colanth"
Quote from: "Mermaid"I have always wanted to go to the Creation museum. I drive through OH a lot, and this would be a shortish detour. One of these days.
Be sure you take some kind of calmative before you go in.  You could laugh hard enough to hurt yourself otherwise.
I'm more likely to hurt my eyes rolling them so much.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Colanth

Are you intimating that Ken Ham is anything less than 100% honest or 100% knowledgeable?
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Mermaid

Quote from: "Colanth"Are you intimating that Ken Ham is anything less than 100% honest or 100% knowledgeable?
I would never.