News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Why do YOU hate religion?

Started by zarus tathra, September 08, 2013, 12:58:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zarus tathra

I don't take the Bolshevist stance of hating religion because it's "superstitious." I hate it primarily because it is the diametric opposite of the free flow of information, which is one of my more fundamental personal values. It is for this reason that I hate things like communism and the corporate media at least as much, of not more.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

Hydra009

Loaded question.

I don't hate religion.  At least, not religion per se.  I hate magical thinking.  I hate superstition.  I hate pseudoscience.  I hate theocracy.  And I hate fascism.  And I hate the mindset that views any of the above as good for humanity.

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

ApostateLois

Quote from: "Hydra009"Loaded question.

I don't hate religion.  At least, not religion per se.  I hate magical thinking.  I hate superstition.  I hate pseudoscience.  I hate theocracy.  And I hate fascism.  And I hate the mindset that views any of the above as good for humanity.

This is how I feel. If people kept their religion to themselves or used it only for the betterment of humanity through charitable acts, I wouldn't feel much of a need to object to it.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Solitary

It enables normal people the ability and support to be able to be hateful of other religions and beliefs, be bigots, be prejudiced, kill and be killed for a belief that could be wrong with no reliable evidence to back it up that is based on Neanderthal and magical thinking.  :evil:  :roll:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Johan

I don't care about religion enough to generate any hate for it.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Hydra009

Quote from: "ApostateLois"If people kept their religion to themselves or used it only for the betterment of humanity through charitable acts, I wouldn't feel much of a need to object to it.
Even then, I dunno how I'd feel about it.

*knocks on door*  "Hurry up, we're going to be late for the game"
"Just a sec...I'm talking to Creator of the Universe."
"Ah.  Okay."

Coming at religion from an outsider's perspective, it definitely comes across as more than a little strange.  But then again, so does a lot of human culture.

Thumpalumpacus

I don't hate religion, I simply reject it.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Nonsensei

Ill be the first to say I do hate it. The suffering it is responsible for cannot realistically be measured. It gives people an excuse to kill, oppress, and hate. It keeps people from advancing the legacy of the human race. It gives them a way to reject reality and facts without being seen as lunatics.

It is likely the most destructive man made force that has ever existed, and everyone suffers because of it, whether they realize it or not.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "ApostateLois"
Quote from: "Hydra009"Loaded question.

This is how I feel. If people kept their religion to themselves or used it only for the betterment of humanity through charitable acts, I wouldn't feel much of a need to object to it.

This is pretty much where I'm at with it...

Colanth

I'm opposed to anything that's detrimental to society.  Religion just happens to be one of those things.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

brq

I don't.Since religion and belief of God makes people to live properly. One can not live like an animal since he has mind different from animal and  have missions and religion teaches that missions.If we are to encompass the subject,people carry both past's regrets and future's worries and thus,cannot take the pleasure of that moment but animal has no mind and take pleasure of everything without thinking.Also,if we look again animals every one of them work greatly .for example,if we ask one cow,what are you doing?you don't play football,you don't drink beer, you live like a cow.why do you come to world?then the cow would say.go open the refrigerator .milk,meat,cheese from me.you make shoes and belts from my leather,you cannot tie your pant without me.Then it would say "What are you doing here?your meat is not eat you don't have milk and so on.Then we understand that we can not do what the animals do but we can think about them,and infer that if one cow does not have compassion,knowledge and love for us then milk is given to us by SOMEONE ELSE -who has compassion&knowledge-creates the cow at the same time and worship that creator and follow what that creator wants from us.

Plu

Oh boy, I predict a very short visit.

QuoteSince religion and belief of God makes people to live properly.

I'll give you a cookie if you explain how this matches up with the existance of countries that are predominatly atheist, and how those countries are almost all rated higher on the world happiness index than most religious ones, including the US.

brq

Quote from: "Plu"Oh boy, I predict a very short visit.

QuoteSince religion and belief of God makes people to live properly.

I'll give you a cookie if you explain how this matches up with the existance of countries that are predominatly atheist, and how those countries are almost all rated higher on the world happiness index than most religious ones, including the US.
--
living properly.it depends on which angle that we look the situation.I don't mean being economically powerful or wealthy.God has rules;who works and make efforts God gives him what he wants.being succesfull is that kind of thing.i mean living properly in terms of living morally or socially( relationships among people etc.).Also, the statistics can not tell what the people feels inside, one is not happy when he says i'm happy.There are a lot of people who looks like happy but not that happy inside of him.And one atheist can not be happy as much as one believing God since atheist believe that"?'m gonna go nothing after death",but the other says" how much hardships I confront here is nothing I will go a place that is trillions time better than that world" and feels always happy inside himself.Although he seems unhappy he is relax in his conscious.As compared atheist's maximum 100 years of fake happiness he would much more happier than him because he will be happy forever.That is  real happiness.